View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Cant display images in Konqueror on certain webpages Reply with quote

I use konqueror as my main browser, however on certain pages it fails to display the images. The worst example is www.mamoz.no , which it can hardly display any images. Opera works fine (however its statically linked to the image libraries, so it doesnt apply). But Mozilla also work, and its using the same libraries as konqueror afaik.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, images there are displayed with M$ .asp crap... proprietary, non-standard, and doomed/fading web format.

BTW, how's the job situation over there in NO/SE? Any room for a Yank?
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Ya, images there are displayed with M$ .asp crap... proprietary, non-standard, and doomed/fading web format.

Yes, but Mozilla manages it just fine. So konqueror should too IMO.

Quote:
BTW, how's the job situation over there in NO/SE? Any room for a Yank?

Always room for talented people :-)
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loke wrote:
Yes, but Mozilla manages it just fine. So konqueror should too IMO.

Sure, but the reason Konq doesn't is because .asp is 'depreciated' and going away. No one should be using it anymore. The Gecko renderer (Moz) is outdated and still has this loose functionality. Konq, for me.

Quote:
Always room for talented people :-)

Seriously, any American ex-pats that you know of there? Would sure like more info.

Last edited by Quantumstate on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:

Sure, but the reason Konq doesn't is because .asp is 'depreciated' and going away.

.asp = MS active server page, similar to PHP and such. Because of that, the browsers really have nothing to do with it, as it's all server-side and it's not deprecated as far as I know. The only images that were on that page were .jpgs. Konqueror showed everything fine here. (Konqueror 3.3 RC2)
darkgamorck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Sure, but the reason Konq doesn't is because .asp is 'depreciated' and going away. No one should be using it anymore. The Gecko renderer (Moz) is outdated and still has this functionality. Konq, for me.

It's all HTML on the client side and the fact that it is an ASP page has absolutely nothing to do with it. If Konq isn't rendering those images I would guess that the contenttype on the HTTP call has been borked.
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing images are presented using .asp . Please look at the page again... there are missing images.

Guys .asp is not overtly depreciated; that's why I put it in quotes. It is being left behind by M$ now, and is a defunct technology in favor of .NET, C#, etc.

Just trying to explain to him why Konq does not render. It'd be nice if it did, but I'd rather have the new advanced features we get.
darkgamorck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
The missing images are presented using .asp . Please look at the page again... there are missing images.

Guys .asp is not overtly depreciated; that's why I put it in quotes. It is being left behind by M$ now, and is a defunct technology in favor of .NET, C#, etc.

Just trying to explain to him why Konq does not render. It'd be nice if it did, but I'd rather have the new advanced features we get.

ASP has absolutely nothing to do with the browser on the client side. ASP/PHP/CGI/ASP.NET/JSP all are processed on the server side. The server executes the code and transmits the resulting HTML/Javascript/Images back to the client. None of the server side code is executed on the client side. This means that the code used to generate the page itself is irrelevant when taken into account on how the page renders on the client.

Understand?
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how about that weather in Florida?

(Um, see why I'm embarrassed for my country these days? Adversariality has become encultured, and I am real sick of it)

Last edited by Quantumstate on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the console and run this...

Code:

> telnet www.malmoz.no 80
... welcome text here ...
> GET /mamozv3/Moduler/visBilde.asp?image=../../mamoz/data/bilder/produkter/29051.jpg&B=160&H=100

You'll see that it starts to return a jpeg image, but then fails. There is an error in the ASP page.

HTH,
Andrew
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew_j_w wrote:
If you go to the console and run this...

Code:

> telnet www.malmoz.no 80
... welcome text here ...
> GET /mamozv3/Moduler/visBilde.asp?image=../../mamoz/data/bilder/produkter/29051.jpg&B=160&H=100

You'll see that it starts to return a jpeg image, but then fails. There is an error in the ASP page.

HTH,
Andrew

Which means it's not a problem with Konqueror, which also means that no one needs to be embarassed for their country, except perhaps anyone from Norway. ;)
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
Which means it's not a problem with Konqueror, which also means that no one needs to be embarassed for their country, except perhaps anyone from Norway. ;)

His point... my point was... ugh forget it. It's clear what I'm talking about.
darkgamorck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:

No there is nothing wrong with Konq. Though whoever wrote the site in question is REALLY braindead. You can access the images directly through a URL such as:

http://mamoz.no/mamoz/data/bilder/produkter/29051.jpg

It appears that all this script is doing is dynamically sizing the images and streaming that information back to the client. This is really stupid. What a waste of processor cycles. For instance if you really want to mess with his box try a URL like:

http://mamoz.no/mamozv3/Moduler/visBilde.asp?image=../../mamoz/data/bilder/produkter/29051.jpg&B=1600&H=1200

Oops. :D

Of course if you'd like to watch the script eat shit try specifying a number greater than what a standard integer in VB can hold (~32576):

http://mamoz.no/mamozv3/Moduler/visBilde.asp?image=../../mamoz/data/bilder/produkter/29051.jpg&B=35000&H=35000

Crash!

What a piece of crap site...
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkgamorck wrote:
What a piece of crap site...

Before you impugn even more people, be advised that M$ web-building tools are 'loose' (sloppy) in their coding, and rendering engines very tolerant in their interpretation, to compensate.

In case there's any doubt, this is not to make it 'just work'. It's a divergence from mathematical truth, which can only be error.

Last edited by Quantumstate on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkgamorck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. This has nothing to do with MS building tools. Speaking as an experienced web dev who has worked with PERL, PHP, ASP and ASP.NET let me say that your assumptions on the matter are dead wrong. I used to write all of my ASP/PHP within a simple text editor and every once in awhile I managed to make stupid errors like that.

It happens. Programmers aren't perfect. But those bugs are not the fault of MS in any way shape or form. There are a lot of things MS deserves to be called out for but I can't see this particular problem has anything to do with them at all. Blaming MS for this particular bug is pretty ignorant in my book.

Anyway I didn't come here to start a flamewar. You go on believing whatever helps you sleep at night.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah.. Got alot more than I asked for here. Excellent replies, I might add. And judging by the proof youve all presented, the page is indeed poorly constructed. So no need for me chasing down library issues to fix this then.

Quantumstate: I know 1 american (but lots of other foreign) working here in Norway, but like I said: Companies are always looking for talented people - no matter what nationality. The job market is improving now, its been really slow for past 2-3 years but we are optimistic for the time being. So I would definately recommend Scandinavia as a potential jobmarket. I here Trolltech is hiring ;-)
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Loke. I am particularly interested in finance and commercial real estate, as that's my graduate degree and 15 yrs experience. Of course I would learn the language. (have German already) Are jobs only in tech and medical? I'd take a vast cut in pay to live there, since I fear the country around me now (and as you know, this is no way to live). Spent my youth in intelligence, and so I know there's a better way. Have seen many Africans there, so surely I could fit, as SE descendant?

Any idea where I can learn more about relocating? Ernst&Young isn't hiring. Is the best bet with a multi-national, or local?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: