Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Web Browsers and Ndiswrapper Wireless, freezes sysetm.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Web Browsers and Ndiswrapper Wireless, freezes sysetm. Reply with quote

I own a Dell Insprion 9100. (ATI 9700, Boardcom wireless), an I'm new to Gentoo. I'm having an issue with my system freezing up when I use a web browser while on my wireless network.

1: My ndiswrapper is working and my wireless card is talking to my router. I have all the correct info in my iwconfig and my ifconfig. I can use Links-2 to browser sites, and I even emerged while attached to my network. No problems pinging and no error messages. From what I see the Wireless netowrk is fine. MY wireless network is all default and I use dhcpcd wlan0 to initiate my wireless network.

2: If I'm using the regular Lan cable, Epiphany and mozilla work just fine. I'm typing this from Epiphany right now, attached to a network by a cable.

The problem: If I'm using my wireless ability to get to the internet and I use Epiphany or Mozilla to go to a page (like www.gentoo.com). It will start to transmit and recieve data, then hardware freeze. I get no errors in my logs, and no reason for the crash.

Now I've had about 5 distros on the computer so far and I've never had this issue of a hardware freeze using my wireless network and an X-webbrowser. Does anyone have an idea where I should even start here?
makton3g
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, wanted to add a bit more. Looking at my iwconfig I have one problem (I think)
the Bottom center of the information you get from iwconfig (Invalid Misc) I'm getting numbers and they do keep climbing. This might be what is causing the failure with the browsers. Any ideas or comments from other wireless people? If any mod wants to move this to the networking side, it's no problem. It was a 50/50 on throwing it here or networking, sence the fault is only seen when I use an X-webbrowser.

Help please, thank you.
Vershun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem with my new wireless card using ndiswrapper. It only happens when I use GUI internet programs (GAIM, Firefox, etc) but works fine with console based internet programs. Anyone know what could be going on?
Riekr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

up, someone has solved that problem or just stopped using wifi? ^^'
lavish
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here with a netgear wg311 v2 (acx111) under nidswrapper
Riekr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2036055-highlight-.html#2036055
this is a dup thread :oops:
lavish
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekr wrote:
problem solved here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2036055-highlight-.html#2036055
this is a dup thread :oops:

I don't understand if you mean this is a dup 3d or the other one ... sorry my english is not so good :? (this isn't a dup thread because it started on 08/19/2004 and the other one started last month :P )
Btw that solution didn't work for me (I had already seen it) because I was ~ with ndiswrapper.

However I got it (at least on my machine)!

I set utf-8 and /etc/env.d/02locale in this way:

Code:

$cat /etc/env.d/02locale
LANG="it_IT.utf8@euro"
LC_ALL="it_IT.utf8"
MM_CHARSET="it_IT.utf8"

LC_MESSAGES="it_IT@euro"

Code:

$ cat /etc/rc.conf
UNICODE="yes"
CONSOLEFONT="lat9w-16"
<...>

I switched back to :

Code:

altair ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
LANGUAGE="it"
LC_ALL="it_IT"
LC_TYPE="it_IT@euro"
LINGUAS="it"

Code:

altair ~ # cat /etc/rc.conf
UNICODE="no"
CONSOLEFONT="default8x16"
<...>

And everything works really fine now (but don't ask me _why_ :P )! You can try to do the same or at least to tell me/us if do you use localization or not... and so on!

Cya!
Riekr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem was related to new network management in kernel 2.6.n (where n is a number i really don't rememeber :D).
there was also problems within ndiswrapper versions and glib, maybe switching locales and problem solution is only a coincidence.
i use whole ~x86 system and apart of maskings shown in the other thread i'm using glib 2.6.0 not 2.6.1 or whatever...
... i'm italian too but using unicode in console ;)
lavish
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekr wrote:
the problem was related to new network management in kernel 2.6.n (where n is a number i really don't rememeber :D).
there was also problems within ndiswrapper versions and glib, maybe switching locales and problem solution is only a coincidence.
i use whole ~x86 system and apart of maskings shown in the other thread i'm using glib 2.6.0 not 2.6.1 or whatever...
... i'm italian too but using unicode in console ;)

Yep, but that was a problem... here I changed _only_ the file I posted before. I tried to change it a lot of times and I can confirm this is not only a coincidence ;)
storm_rider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: ndiswrapper + firefox crash Reply with quote

I have this exact same problem with a pcmcia wifi card - ralink rt2500 chipset. Has anyone solved this or just given up...

I have the same chipset in a pci card in my desktop with no issues using ndiswrapper - is this problem confined to pcmcia or has anyone encountered it using pci usb etc.

I have tried many things and am getting very frustrated as my notebook is pretty useless with out wireless.... Any help would be appreciated....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: