Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
If using ReiserFS, you need a separate /boot directory?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: If using ReiserFS, you need a separate /boot directory? Reply with quote

Just going through the install for my new iBook. I'm at the part of installing my filesystems. All things I read so far, said unlike the x86 installs, you don't need a separate /boot partition.

I'm wanting to use reiserfs, but, looking at the install manual, it says the partition tha t/boot is on, must use ext2 or ext3.

So, does that mean if you want to use reiser fs, you must use a separate boot partition? If so, on a G3 iBook...what is a good size for a /boot partition? Is 32-64M good like with an x86 install?

Many thanks so far for all the help...well on my way. I split the hard drive on this one for 18 G for Linux, and 12 for OSX....

cayenne
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the wonderful things about the ppc arch is that you don't need a /boot at all.

have fun with yaboot....it's a *interesting* program.... :roll:
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjasghar wrote:
one of the wonderful things about the ppc arch is that you don't need a /boot at all.

have fun with yaboot....it's a *interesting* program.... :roll:

Bear with me...I'm a little noob here....you can do you whole root partion, even including the /boot directory in reiserfs? In the install manual there was a note:

Quote:
Note: Be sure that the partition which will host your kernel (the /boot-path) must be ext2 or ext3. The bootloader can only handle this filesystem.

I'm a little confused.....can you shed some more light on this? What fs did you use?

C
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used reiserfs, but all you have to do is make sure you use mac-disk and make all the required partitions. one is the bootstrap i believe...that's where yaboot sits and points to where ever you have the kernel.

have you installed x86 gentoo/linux before?

there a difference in the partitions and boot loader but not anything else....well scratch that...most everything else.
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: So far... Reply with quote

jjasghar wrote:
i used reiserfs, but all you have to do is make sure you use mac-disk and make all the required partitions. one is the bootstrap i believe...that's where yaboot sits and points to where ever you have the kernel.

have you installed x86 gentoo/linux before?

there a difference in the partitions and boot loader but not anything else....well scratch that...most everything else.

Yes, I've done a number of x86 installs....and one Sparc install.

So far I've got:
/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 31.5K Partition Map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap Bootstrap 800K NewWorld Bootblock
/dev/hda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 512M Linux swap
/dev/hda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 17.5G Linux Native
/dev/hda5 Apple_HFS mac 9.9G HFS
/dev/hda6 Apple_Free 4K Free space

Now, with the note I got from the install, and I'm assuming from previous x86 installs, that I that there is a /boot off the / directory...and your kernal image goes there...that it is to be ext2 or ext3....???

Do I need to delete the /dev/hda4 directory, split it to make a /boot directory with ext3 and then make the other part of it reiserfs, OR can I, the way it is set up, make the existing /dev/hda4 directory ALL reiserfs...which I assume contains the /boot directory...and have it still be able to boot up into Linux successfully?

TIA,

C
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: So far... Reply with quote

cayenne wrote:

Now, with the note I got from the install, and I'm assuming from previous x86 installs, that I that there is a /boot off the / directory...and your kernal image goes there...that it is to be ext2 or ext3....???

Do I need to delete the /dev/hda4 directory, split it to make a /boot directory with ext3 and then make the other part of it reiserfs, OR can I, the way it is set up, make the existing /dev/hda4 directory ALL reiserfs...which I assume contains the /boot directory...and have it still be able to boot up into Linux successfully?

TIA,

C

No you don't need to delete /dev/hda4 to make a separate /boot
partition with ext3. I am using reiserfs too, here is my /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda8               /               reiserfs        noatime,notail          0 1
/dev/hda7               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      auto            user,noauto,rw          0 0
/dev/hda9               /home           reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/dev/hda4               /mnt/OSX        hfsplus         user,noatime,rw         0 0

There will be a boot directory under root, but it doesn't need to be
on a separate partition or in ext2 or ext3. The only thing is I usually
put /home on a separate partition but that's your call.
Just for completeness here is why mac-fdisk says:
Code:
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap               1600 @ 75288448  (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3              Apple_Free                       262144 @ 64        (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/hda4               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2  64540480 @ 262208    ( 30.8G)  HFS
/dev/hda5              Apple_Free                       262144 @ 64802688  (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/hda6               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_3  10223616 @ 65064832  (  4.9G)  HFS
/dev/hda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 B                    1048576 @ 75290048  (512.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 B                   33554432 @ 76338624  ( 16.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home                 7338352 @ 109893056 (  3.5G)  Linux native

Don't worry about Free space that has been generated by the OSX
fdisk, I have OS9 and OSX on separate partition. Hope that helps.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Thank you!! Reply with quote

Many thanks!! That clears it up for me...
One last question tho...

What is the difference between HFS and HFS+. How do you know which you have...in the examples last given..the mac fdisk utility labeled them as HFS...but, in the fstab listing you put is as 'hfsplus'.

Thanks again for all the help!!

C
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HFS+ is a journaled version of HFS, same kind of difference than
between ext2 and ext3. OS9 support only HFS but on recent
versions of OSX you can enable journaling. To know which one
you have, boot in OSX and start the "Diskutility" program (Under
Applications/Utilities on 10.3) select a partition, if it is HFS at the
bottom it will say:
Code:
Format: Mac OS Extended

and for HFS+ it will be:
Code:
Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

It is that simple. Now on the other hand while you will be abble to
access your Mac OS partition under linux, if you choose reiserfs you
won't be abble to access your linux partition from Mac OSX. There
are tools to read and write ext2 partitions on OSX (search on this forum).
If you plan to exchange data between the two OS you should
consider creating a ext2 partition to do it.
Hope that helps.

Francois
DiskBreaker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fb wrote:
HFS+ is a journaled version of HFS

Not really true, HFS+ is much older than that and has been available since MacOS 8.1 (I've been a Mac user since MacOS 6.0.4 :) Only very recently with MacOS 10.3 (Panther) journalling functionality has been added to HFS+ (well actually OS X Server had that feature even before Panther).
The main reason for Apple to develop HFS+ was that HFS only had a 16-bit file allocation table limiting the disk to 65536 sectors. This meant that as harddisks got bigger and bigger the sector size (and thus the minmum file size) grew tremendously. I remember having a sector size of 32kb, i.e. even small textfiles that maybe had 1 or 2 kb of data took up 32kb of space on the disk.

fb wrote:
OS9 support only HFS but on recent versions of OSX you can enable journaling.

No, every version of OS 9 supports both HFS and HFS+ natively since HFS+ has been available long before.
Cid_vicious_121
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why but i have a G3 (600mhz) with a working gentoo install on /dev/hda7 (ext3) and i'm trying to make another install on reiserfs on /dev/hda6... i'm using the same kernel that have compiled-in reiserfs support and when booting on /dev/hda6 I get a kernel panic : can't mount root... moreover.. when I copy all my files on /dev/hda3 (ext3) and changing the boot partition on yaboot... it boots properly... can someone tell me why ?

(I have a 2.6.15-r1 kernel and use the latest stable version of yaboot)
fb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cid_vicious_121 wrote:
I don't know why but i have a G3 (600mhz) with a working gentoo install on /dev/hda7 (ext3) and i'm trying to make another install on reiserfs on /dev/hda6... i'm using the same kernel that have compiled-in reiserfs support and when booting on /dev/hda6 I get a kernel panic : can't mount root... moreover.. when I copy all my files on /dev/hda3 (ext3) and changing the boot partition on yaboot... it boots properly... can someone tell me why ?

(I have a 2.6.15-r1 kernel and use the latest stable version of yaboot)

Well as I said earlier I have a "pure" reiserfs system and don't have problems of that kind.
I am still on kernel 2.6.14-r* so if there is a bug in 15-r1 I wouldn't know.
Can you show us your /etc/fstab ?
Cid_vicious_121
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's ok... after a make mrproper and rebuilding the kernel it booted properly... it seems that it kept the reiserfs support as a module... even after I changed it in my .config...
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

right, but you also don´t need a /boot partition on x86; its not mandatory on any arch afaik.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: