View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Using Fluxbox to make my screen look l33t Reply with quote

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Anyway, I've been using GNOME since 2.2 and I didn't switch to Fluxbox for two big reasons. One, I have a 2.53GHz P4, so I can easily run whatever load GNOME gives me without annoyances to slowdowns. And three, two if you're keeping track ;), many of the apps I run are based on GTK+ so using GNOME is logical. I wanted to setup Fluxbox but not with a given theme but my own. I wanted to learn to do some of the things I've seen in many, many screenshots. Most appealing feature I've seen is the windowless terminal that seems to be part of the wallpaper! Transparent gkrellm looks nice too.. unless it isn't gkrellm. I'm hoping someone can show me some docs about writing the config files for Fluxbox and some popular programs used in conjunction with Fluxbox for a nice interface. Need to learn how to setup bootsplash too so the terminal itself is also l33t.. 8)
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowless terminal = use aterm, turn off window borders

transparent gkrellm = pretty sure theres a transparent theme for it, but i think it looks ugly all clear
filR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a transparent gkrellm skin - cronos
leet terminals - aterm or eterm

here are some of my starting options i use for aterm / eterm
Code:
aterm -g 90x25 -fg 7 -tr +sb -sh 25 -fade 85 -fn 10x20 -sl 10000 -cursorColor 7 -sr --font -windows-profontwindows-medium-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1252 &

Eterm -g 90x25 -O --foreground-color rgb:ff/ff/ff --background-color rgb:15/15/15 --scrollbar 0 --shade 20 -x 0 --buttonbar 0 -F -windows-profontwindows-medium-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1252  &

Eterm -g 90x25 -O --foreground-color rgb:ff/ff/ff --scrollbar 0 -x 0 --buttonbar 0 -F -windows-profontwindows-medium-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1252 &

btw // currently i am using fvwm, but used fluxbox before. it is pretty nice and easy to "eye-candy" it.

ps // i am currently thinking about ditching gkrellm (uses too much resources) for torsmo.
oh yeah, and have you checked out gdesklets? needed for an eye-candy desktop imo. :)

--
cheers,
phil
endgamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, trying to get transparent Gkrellm going, and this is someone who spends 20 minutes every year souping up the pretty pictures. I'm running latest gkrellm in portage, 2.1.28-r1 and fvwm 2.5.8-r5 (will try updating this), and none of the alleged skins seem to work: Glass, klearllm, cronus, etc...

Upon further searches, it seems certain that atleast the Glass theme should be transparent, so let me add what is happening now. In all the abovementioned themes that don't work, the colors displayed are either white or some form of gray, or occasionally completely multicolored. In the Glass theme, the 2-pixel border around gkrellm is transparent, but nothing else is.

Any ideas on that, or some sort of horizontal gkrellm? I'm beginning to suspect some X/fvwm issue.

Thanks.

PS. kinda like this: http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/Maciej_Delmanowski-desk-1024x768/screenshot.jpg :)
pps. there aer thousands of them here! trying this avenue for info too... http://www.lynucs.org/?gkrellm
chucksaysword
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this thread is a month old but I had to use Esetroot in order to get a transparent gkrellm.

Code:
Esetroot -f /path/to/wallpaper

And yes the "E" needs to be capitalized.
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on my desktop the transparent borderless terminal is gnome-terminal. Flux can let you turn off borders per-application, and gnome-terminal can be set to transparent in the options (and, you can turn off the menu too). I personally prefer gui options to editing config files, but to each his own.

I use "fbsetbg -l" as my root command to set the background.
Arafel65
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Nice Desktop! Reply with quote

dmartin
That is a really cool setup you have there 8O . What apps do you have running on your desktop? I really like the Clock, System monitor.. ah hell I like the whole thing, can you give a quick guide? Thanks
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmartin wrote:
Well, on my desktop the transparent borderless terminal is gnome-terminal. Flux can let you turn off borders per-application, and gnome-terminal can be set to transparent in the options (and, you can turn off the menu too). I personally prefer gui options to editing config files, but to each his own.

I use "fbsetbg -l" as my root command to set the background.
I love it! What flux theme and GTK+ theme are you using?
CompNerd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, dont know if anyone noticed, but that link is on fvwm's website, and as such may be fvwm rather than flux.

CompNerd
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Desktop! Reply with quote

Arafel65 wrote:
dmartin
That is a really cool setup you have there 8O . What apps do you have running on your desktop? I really like the Clock, System monitor.. ah hell I like the whole thing, can you give a quick guide? Thanks

I'll give it my best.

System6 Fluxbox theme:
http://www.themedepot.org/itemdetail.php4?id=1447

Milk gtk theme:
http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2/567/

The background is here:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/3817892/

The desktop junk (clock, system monitors, etc) is gdesklets. Search the forums for gdesklets, and you'll learn how to install. Quick overview, emerge gdesklets, then emerge some displays (look around the gdesklets website). To automatically run gdesklets, add this to your ~/.fluxbox/startup somewhere BEFORE the "exec /usr/bin/fluxbox" line:
Code:
gdesklets &

I'm also using fbpager (the pager at the top) in the fluxbox slit. emerge fbpager, and add this to ~/.fluxbox/startup, again before the line that starts fluxbox:
Code:
fbpager -w &

The fluxbox slit is highly configurable, so it probably won't be exactly in the top-middle by default like mine is. Right click in the slit and you can configure the slit. I have mine set to autohide, and always on top. Together they work nicely. I get fbpager to appear by sliding my mouse to the top edge of the screen.

If you are dependent on the Gnome Theme Manager and Gnome Font Properties like I am, you might also want to add this to ~/.fluxbox/startup:
Code:
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &

But that may not be necessary, depending on how you are setting GTK's theme/fonts.
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, the chat app is just gaim, themed automatically by the GTK Milk theme.
Arafel65
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmartin
Thx for the guide. Now to beautify my laptop :D .
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmartin, what desklet are you using for the clock? I'm using the clock from psi-displays but it doesn't show the day of the week (e.g. Thursday).
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured out I had to edit the __get_date() function in /usr/share/gdesklets/Sensors/Clock/__init__.py

Code:
    def __get_date(self, current_time):

date = time.strftime("%a %d %b %y", current_time)
        return date

and then
Code:
killall python && gdesklets &
to restart gdesklets. (Obviously don't killall if you other python apps running.

obvious problem is that will probably be overwritten if I ever upgrade the Clock sensor. Did I do things the hard/stupid way?
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really tell you because I didn't alter the stock psi clock. But, I probably don't have the very latest, as I haven't synched in a couple of months (bought a house, time consuming).
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use enlightenment :) it looks hella-nice.

My current e-16 desktop

And various other e-16/e-17 screenshots.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: