Most stable kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Most stable kernel? Reply with quote

Anyone out there know which linux kernel is the most stable? I'm currently using 2.6.7 but have been thinking about going back and using a 2.4 kernel, 2.6.7 has been stable most of the time, but for some reason whenever I try to make an iso image of a cd in kde my system just hardlocks, can't even move the cursor or kill X.

So what kernel is meant to be the most stable?
The God idea is growing more impersonal and nebulous in proportion as the human mind is learning to understand natural phenomena and in the degree that science progressively correlates human and social events. -- Emma Goldman
denstark
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2.6.x kernels are damn stable for desktop use, it may not be your kernel that is making your system hardlock... You can try a 2.4 kernel, but i think it wont make much of a difference.

I use a 2.4 kernel for my server, and 2.6.x kernels for my Desktops, never had a problem with either.

Hope that helped :)
rokstar> sure they do, you tried their coffee?
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thanks, I didn't think that it would have anything to do with the kernel level, hmmm it's really annoying though, just completely hardlocks, there is nothing at all that I can do.... hmm, I have one idea what it may be.
The God idea is growing more impersonal and nebulous in proportion as the human mind is learning to understand natural phenomena and in the degree that science progressively correlates human and social events. -- Emma Goldman
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what is that idea?? :lol:

I have an idea too. Perhapes some hardware is going bad. You should do some troubleshooting to see if something is going bad.

Hardlock?? Sounds like maybe a HD is going bad, or I've seen some glitch in apache (in 1.3.x) that starts leaking memory, killing the system when it eats it all. It happened when someone visited a user (like with http://ursite.com/~thisuserdoesntexist) and it would just start leaking memory. I forget what caused it exactly. Also, samba sometimes hardlocks the system, again, I dunno why. Or, perhaps the memory is going bad, and when it... hits its bad point, it hardlocks the system. Just some things to look at and watch closely.
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm well my friend emerged samba on my machine last night while I was at a lan as I had never set it up before as I don't network with windows machines. So it could be samba.
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I unemerged samba and it worked, well sort of, I could make the image (trying to make an image of ff7 from my psx disc so I could play it in epsxe) it made the image but I can't seem to play it..... well anyway atleast I've stopped my machine from hardlocking.
kavau
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luineancaion wrote:
Yea thanks, I didn't think that it would have anything to do with the kernel level, hmmm it's really annoying though, just completely hardlocks, there is nothing at all that I can do.... hmm, I have one idea what it may be.

If X locks up randomly, so that the mouse cursor still moves, but nothing can be clicked, and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE doesn't work either, APIC (processor-internal high-precision timer support) might be the culprit. Go into the the kernel .config file and disable the IO_APIC option (it doesn't show up in the menuconfig editor).
rfujimoto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Most stable kernel? Reply with quote

Luineancaion wrote:
Anyone out there know which linux kernel is the most stable? I'm currently using 2.6.7 but have been thinking about going back and using a 2.4 kernel, 2.6.7 has been stable most of the time, but for some reason whenever I try to make an iso image of a cd in kde my system just hardlocks, can't even move the cursor or kill X.

So what kernel is meant to be the most stable?

Do you have access to another computer inside your lan so that you could SSH into the hard-locked system to see if it's actually hard locks or simply the input/output has froze?

I had so many problems with nvidia drivers (during the 2.6.0_test#) that I constantly locked up input and output (monitor, keyboard and mouse didn't respond). After SSH'ing in from inside my lan and issuing a /sbin/reboot command, everything was fine...
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the two tips, I don't have a second machine yet unfortunately, but I'm looking at getting a cheap little transmeta based laptop and putting either gentoo or lfs on it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: