View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: gnome-session splash screen locks Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just been installing XFree86 with Gnome 2.4.2 and ran into a problem.

When I try to start up Gnome (startx) I get the gnome-session splash screen with the Gentoo logo on it, but it just stops there. I have to CTRL+ALT+F1 to get out of it.

Any ideas what may be causing it? I'm emerging gnome-session-2.4.2 again to see if it helps.
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've had this Gnome bug for ages, across multiple machines (even multiple platforms!). I think it has to do with Gnome being picky about detecting whether one of the apps that was running last desktop session launched fully or not.

Clicking on the splash screen makes it go away, or you can keyboard it as you noted. I've never gotten motivated enough to figure out which app it was I was running that caused it to hang.

-Twist
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist wrote:
Clicking on the splash screen makes it go away, or you can keyboard it as you noted.

Hmm....bad news....I can't make it go away by clicking. Weird.
mindwarp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine won't go away til I click on it either :(
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww....c'mon, someone's got to have battled this beast and won? :lol:
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm writing this from work, by memory)
When this happened to me, it was because something was trying to run at start up that wasn't working.

The first thing I would do is try logging in as another user. If that works, keep reading. If it doesn't, the ignore the rest of my post.

To fix it, if there is any way you can get to your desktop, I would suggest going to Desktop Preferences >> Advanced >> Sessions and see what is set to startup by default. I would remove anything that isn't critical. I would also set it to not save your session on logout so things don't get added to the list every time you log out with an app open (so that this doesn't happen in the future).

This is also stored in some hidden files in your home directory (perhaps ~/.gconf??). If you could find the right file, you could remove startup applications there. As I recall, I just removed all the Gnome related directories (~/.gconf ~/.gnome ~/.g-whatever) that I could find in my home directory. But, keep in mind if you do that you will lose all your Gnome settings.
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I've decided to try updating to Gnome 2.6 to see if that makes any difference. :wink:

If it doesn't help, then yeah, I'll try removing anything gnome related from my home directory. Thanks for that. :D
Adahma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daemion wrote:
Awesome, I've decided to try updating to Gnome 2.6 to see if that makes any difference. :wink:

I've never seen it until I just built a fresh box with x.org and Gnome 2.6, and now I have the same problem. I am however using my /home from my older install on primary drive, so maybe I'll try a fresh user.
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGH!

Updated to Gnome 2.6 and still get the same problem.
Created a new user, still get the same problem.

Where to go from here for troubleshooting?
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I doing something wrong?

The handbook says:

emerge --pretend gnome
emerge gnome
emerge xscreensaver
env-update && source /etc/profile

Add XSESSION="Gnome" into make.conf as well.

I know the --pretend is just to show dependencies, but hey, I've tried all of these commands in sequence and I only get as far as the gnome-session splash screen.

GDM is working fine. The locking happens even if I type "startx" from the command line. I have to CTRL-ALT-F1 to get out of it. You can't just click on it and make it go away.
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist wrote:
I think it has to do with Gnome being picky about detecting whether one of the apps that was running last desktop session launched fully or not.

The above is very true. I had a few commands in ~/.xprofile (imwheel and such) and my splash screen would only go away if I clicked on it. Then I added true as the last command to make sure that the script exist successfully (bash itself returns the exit status of the last command executed - from man bash). Now the splash screen disappears by itself. Just in case, here is my current .xprofile
Code:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
/usr/bin/imwheel -k -b "67"

# this is to just make it exit successfully
true

I suspect you can achieve the same if you place exit 0 as the las command.
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI - not a solution - CTRL-ALT-Backspace will restart X, and get you back to GDM. CTRL-ALT-F1 keeps that X session going, you've just switched away from it. The locked sessions is still running and locked. If you hit CTRL-ALT-F7 after hitting CTRL-ALT-F1, you'll know what I mean.
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this may be of some use:

.gnomerc-errors contains this following (possibly) useful info:
gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager

I'm actually trying to compile and install control-center from source tar.gz off the gnome website now to see if it fixes up the smproxy problem. Will possibly try doing the same with gnome-session as well.
Daemion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
OK, as you know I had the problem of gnome-session displaying the splash screen and freezing unless I gave it a CTRL+ALT+ either backspace or F1. This was on my Compaq Armada 100S (piece of junk) laptop. 8O

After much frustration, I installed Gentoo & Gnome on my dual PIII 450 test machine (ah compile times are so much sweeter on a dual :D ).

The ONLY difference between what I installed on the laptop and what I installed on my test machine is that I used X.org on the test machine and XFree86 on the laptop.

Will try unmerging XFree86 and merging X.org on the laptop some time soon. 8)
Hagra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having the same problem.

On mine, the splash screen freezes properly. As in clicking it doesn't make it disapear.

I've spent the last few hours peeling back the x startup sequence and hit a wall.

I've created the following script that launches the x server and gnome-session as a client. Its a ver, very crude replacement for xinit, which is the program startx calls:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/X11R6/bin/X&
XPID=$!
echo "Servers PID=$XPID"
echo "Starting client"
gnome-session
echo "Client exited, closing x server"
kill $XPID

As you can see, this is as simple as simple gets, and it works perfectly. Gnome starts up ok, and allows me to launch mozilla + post messages on the gentoo forums. ;-)

Obviously this ISN'T ideal.

So stepped back a stage, and tried using xinit, but xinit on MY terms not gentoo's. xinit looks for an environment variable called XINITRC, and if set executes the file it points to as the first client. Nope, don't want this, so I unset XINITRC. Next xinit will check ~/.xinitrc, which is what I've created:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
echo "[MY .xinitrc] execing gnome-session..."
exec gnome-session

Again, very simple, just added a debug message to ensure the script's being executed properly. (I also added a debug message to the top of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to make sure that WASN'T being executed, which it isn't

ran xinit, and had exactly the same problem! GERRR!

the only thing left that xinit _might_ be doing differently is how it's executing the x server. This can be overridden by creating the script ~/.xserverrc:

Quote:

#!/bin/sh
echo "[~/.xserverrc] Starting X server"
exec X

Unfortunatly I get exactly the same result: Gnome splash screen then lock.

I can't see what xinit could be doing differently to my own script at this level. My only theory is that it's got something to do with environment variables, but I don't understand how gnome-session works well enough to diagnose the problem any further.

Before anyone asks, this is using a completely fresh user, clearing the entire home directory and /tmp upon every attempt. Everything works fine when running as root. I'm out of ideas... HELP!!!!
sh1ft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as well am having this problem and am finding no workable solution. I'm at the point of going back to slackware right now just because of this.

I get no output errors when starting gnome-session from a console. And actually, if you wait about an hour, gnome WILL start. It just takes an extremely long time. This problem started before I switched from xfree 4.3 to xorg, so I don't think it's an incompatibility issue.
Hagra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's 6 of us all with the exact same problem as far as I can count (although it is way past my bed time)

There seems to be 2 different problems.

1) splash screen doesn't disapear until it is clicked. This can be fixed by making sure all the applications registered to start are configured correctly. I've actualy had this a lot at work, but clicking the splash screen never really bothered me. You can still use the system.

2) Splash screen appears and then locks. Nothing is started. Clicking it does nothing. I guess you all have no icons appearing on the bottom left of the splash screen like myself?

Is 6 enough people to bring this to the attention of a Gentoo developer?

Not that I think it makes any difference, but I'm using xfree86 (not Xorg) and gnome 2.6
Hagra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more information:

I started xinit as a background process and did a "ps":

Code:

PID TTY          TIME CMD
10760 tty2     00:00:00 bash
13110 tty2     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
14186 tty2     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
14748 tty2     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
14920 tty2     00:00:00 xinit
14937 tty2     00:00:00 gnome-session
14939 tty2     00:00:00 gconfd-2
14942 tty2     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
14944 tty2     00:00:00 ps

notice that gnome-smproxy ISN'T in the list, which seems pretty fatal IMO. not 100% sure what gnome-smproxy does, but it's given priority 0 (highest) in the default session file!

I wrekon it something to do with that. gnome-smproxy isn't starting properly. Tried adding --debug to the session file and gave me no more information.
sh1ft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some helpful information I found in my .xsessionerrors log in my home dir.

Code:
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/gentbox:/tmp/.ICE-unix/6373
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy

(gnome-panel:6432): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  of theme crystal has no size field

(gnome-session:6373): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  of theme crystal has no size field

(nautilus:6438): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  of theme crystal has no size field
Window manager warning: Working around an application which called XSetInputFocus (None) or with RevertToNone instead of RevertToPointerRoot, this is a minor bug in some application. If you can figure out which application causes this please report it as a bug against that application.

(nautilus:6438): Bonobo-WARNING **: Never got frame, control died - abnormal exit condition

(nautilus:6438): Bonobo-WARNING **: Never got frame, control died - abnormal exit condition

(metacity-dialog:11470): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  of theme crystal has no size field

Window manager warning: Working around an application which called XSetInputFocus (None) or with RevertToNone instead of RevertToPointerRoot, this is a minor bug in some application. If you can figure out which application causes this please report it as a bug against that application.
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

I don't really know what to make of it, but maybe someone else will...
To me it seems that there is a syntax error in some program (perhaps gnome-smproxy) where the program is using RevertToNone instead of ReverToPointerRoot or some such. I really don't know much about programming so maybe someone else can make this a little clearer.
sh1ft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i'm making some progress here. Everyone with this problem should take a look at http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2003-September/msg00017.html.

This is what seems to be causing the problem.
sh1ft
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - I just emerged kde, and now I have the very same problem. Kde freezes at the freaking splash screen too. I am just totally fed up with gentoo, this is just an unacceptable bug for a mature distro to have with no solution. I'm going back to slack, hopefully sometime this will be worked out.
Hagra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Been having another go at sorting it, but still no luck.

Anyone else had any joy?
Hagra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: SOLVED!!!! Reply with quote

I think I've cracked it!

I'm a little disapointed, as I was hoping to find the root of the problem and understand what was going on, but... bah, Its working.

I don't know exactly what is going on, but this seems to work:

1) DELETE all gnome related configuration in the user's home directory, or if your me, delete the users home directory + re-create

2) Start gdm, the Gnome Display manager ("/etc/init.d/xdm start" with your display manager set to "gdm"

3) When gdm starts, select the failsafe session, then log in as the user.

4) that _should_ give you a default gnome session. Log out, BUT you must tell gnome to "save your settings" when you do log out.

Fixed.

All I think this does is effectivly copy the default session into the user's home directory. Whatever, it works for me!
jj2f1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wait a long time it will finally finish. When xscreensaver started 10 minutes the desktop became normal. The bottom panel was gone. I guess that is what froze. I simply logged out saving my session and now I can log back in in a timely maner.

I don't really know what the problem is, but that worked in my case.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: