View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: ok what next?? Reply with quote

i got gentoo (kernel 2.6.7) working great. so now i need to get my desktop set up. can i just run kde on it or do i need to run X. and what is the difference between xorg and xfree?? which one should i use if any? any suggestions? i need to know what to download here at work cause i can't get online from home.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough question. i dont think you should be using gentoo if you dont have braodband at home because then there is no point of having portage.

but for some help, try xorg. its basically the same as xfree and a branch of xfree. it split up because of some license problems.

before you can run kde, you have to install xorg. search thread for help and there is also documentation on gentoo site.

i love gentoo but in my opinion you must have broadband as said before. if you dont have internet give SuSE linux a try. i loved it when i tried it out and its a rmp based distro so you can download rmps at work and then bring them home to install on computer.

i hope i helped. and by the way, this was my 100th post.
Cartroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X is the basic windowing system so you'll need that whatever you run. Gnome and KDE are just desktop environments which run on top of X.

Xorg and XFree were originally the same thing, but the project became split (over disagreements about licensing issues or somesuch, I believe). The two projects are from the same codebase so there probably isn't a lot to choose between them - I believe Xorg is looking like it's becoming the "standard" X distribution, so you probably want to go for that. I've installed it, and it seems to work fine.

As to what to download, you'll have to make sure you get all the dependencies right. When I installed Gnome, it pulled in Xorg as a dependency, but also a lot of other packages - I'm sure KDE is similar.

To install Xorg, there's a HOWTO here. If you want to use KDE then there's another HOWTO you probably want to read here.
Cartroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rush_ad wrote:
i dont think you should be using gentoo if you dont have braodband at home because then there is no point of having portage.

That's not quite true, unless my understanding of Portage is completely wrong - the package tree is held locally on the disk so it's only downloading packages which requires the net connection. You could emerge something, take a list of what it required, download those at work, slap them in the right places and tell emerge to go and install it. Not exactly fun, but certainly better than doing the same thing with RPMs in RedHat (I found myself doing that once and it was incredibly painful - Red Carpet made life a little easier in some ways, but I found it had too many problems).

As to exactly how to go about downloading packages by hand and where to put them, you'd have to ask someone who knows more about Portage than me ;)

Of course you still need to sync your portage tree, but that shouldn't be too painful over dialup now and then, should it? There's probably a way of doing that remotely too, but I wouldn't know what it is...
acidburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rush_ad wrote:
tough question. i dont think you should be using gentoo if you dont have braodband at home because then there is no point of having portage.

but for some help, try xorg. its basically the same as xfree and a branch of xfree. it split up because of some license problems.

before you can run kde, you have to install xorg. search thread for help and there is also documentation on gentoo site.

i love gentoo but in my opinion you must have broadband as said before. if you dont have internet give SuSE linux a try. i loved it when i tried it out and its a rmp based distro so you can download rmps at work and then bring them home to install on computer.

i hope i helped. and by the way, this was my 100th post.

I can get online through my cell phone. I do but it takes so long to download stuff. I am moving in december and am holding off from getting cable internet till i get set up in my new place. so for now once i get this all set up I will just have to wait till then to get online. No biggie to me really. this way i can really learn gentoo and stuff and be ready once I get online.
acidburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys. i got the lastest versions of XOrg and KDE from their sites. and will put them on tonight :D
Cartroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I wonder if this is a potential enhancement for Portage - you could imagine passing an option to emerge so instead of downloading stuff, it generated a shell script which used wget to download it. You could then take that to the PC with the net connection, run it, and then take the files back and have emerge put them into the proper places as if it had downloaded them and carry on as normal.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done in theory. As to whether it affects anybody enough to be worth doing is another question entirely :)
acidburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartroo wrote:
Thinking about it, I wonder if this is a potential enhancement for Portage - you could imagine passing an option to emerge so instead of downloading stuff, it generated a shell script which used wget to download it. You could then take that to the PC with the net connection, run it, and then take the files back and have emerge put them into the proper places as if it had downloaded them and carry on as normal.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done in theory. As to whether it affects anybody enough to be worth doing is another question entirely :)

I wish I knew enough about programming to do something like that. That is a sweat idea.
Cartroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acidburn wrote:
I wish I knew enough about programming to do something like that. That is a sweat idea.

Unfortunately it would still be necessary to do a sync over a proper net connection, I suspect - I don't know enough about how that works.

I toyed with the idea of trying to do this myself, but the Python in the portage scripts is just a liiiittle more complex than I'm used to :)

It seems like to can configure the command used to fetch packages, though, so you could imagine setting FETCHCOMMAND to be a shell script that just recorded its arguments and returned failure to stop emerge trying to build anything - I don't know how well this would work in practice (does emerge attempt to fetch all the other dependencies if one fails, for example?)

Of course there might be a much easier way of doing it :)
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79884
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: