Ripping DVD crashes my PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Ripping DVD crashes my PC Reply with quote

So I am trying to rip a DVD on my PC and it keeps crashing.

I run an Athlon 1700+ with 512 MB of ram. I use Gnome 2.6 as my desktop and I am using k3b as my burning/ripping program. I will start by clicking the "Copy DVD" icon and tell it to just save it to an image file on my hard drive. Now it will show the progress and it will get to 96 - 99% and the hard drive will just start thrashing. The desktop will become completely unresponsive and I've let it go for about 20 minutes to see if it would come out of it, but it just keeps thrashing. So I have to reboot.

I did an 'emerge -uDav world' about a week ago and I believe it did upgrade QT. Could that be the problem? Do I need to recompile K3b against the new QT? How can I figure out what it is doing. When it starts its not like i can look into the logs or anything since the desktop goes to hell. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Oh yeah, I'm using gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7-r13. Ive heard about problems with 2.6.8 like this but I'm not using that yet.
kenthepostman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try using another DVD ripping program to see if it worked? I had some success with DVD:rip. It's in portage. Does k3b have any kind of logging? Maybe that will help explain the problem too.
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried anything yet but the weird part is, it worked fine 2 weeks ago. Something changed, I just don't know what changed that would cause this. It almost sounds like what others are having with kernel 2.6.8. Where it runs out of memory. Haven't seen anyone having this issue with 2.6.7 though.
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in relation to dvd+rw tools:

Code:
IMPORTANT NOTE! A bug was introduced in version 5.19, which manifests itself by inability to finalize recording, it takes forever to "flush cache." Apply hotfix or download patched tar-ball. If you have suffered from this bug and have non-finalized DVD±R media, you can use this snippet to "revive" it. DVD+RW media can be finalized with dvd+rw-format -lead-out.

Could this be causing the problems even though I am not actually burning anything? I have 5.20 installed. Should I drop to an older version?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: