Help with Raid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linedpaper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Help with Raid Reply with quote

I have a Highpoint hpt372 onboard raid controller. I have a single raid 0 array with two 80gb's and then a stand alone 60gb that is connected to the controller, yet not on a raid. I can see all drives booting off the live cd. I can make changes to the 60gb, but I can't touch the raid drives. I could repartition them all up but that would ruin my array. It is 160gb and i have 100gb that already has windows on it. The remaing 60 is for gentoo. /dev/ataraid isn't there so what should I do?

Thanks,
Tim
linedpaper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump....

Well I've been looking around and haven't found anybody with this working. Seems it works, just not when configured for Raid....so what is a decent cheap ide raid controller. Just want to run raid 0...also want it to be pretty simple setting up in linux. I am going to be running linux and windows on these...suggestions please...Promise?

Thanks
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind using a 2.4.x kernel, then the /dev/ataraid driver is still available for running Linux from a Windows compatible array.

The native Linux way of doing RAID involves disabling RAID in the BIOS, and using the /dev/md driver in the kernel. Of course, doing this will delete Windows in the process.
linedpaper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting windows is not a huge deal as it is a fresh install. I would prefer to keep using my onboard highpoint raid so I don't have to spend more money. What gentoo cd should I boot off of then? I boot off of 2004.2 and it picks up the controller, just not the raid. If I can go to 2.6 kernel it would be prefered. I don't mind killing windows and starting from scratch. I just want a raid 0 with my two 80's that I can install both windows and linux on. It doesn't really matter in what order or anything.

Thanks,
Tim
linedpaper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed an old promise controller from work. I could use it, but would still prefer to stay with my onboard. I have read a lot about people claiming that highpoint is pretty unstable, is this what they are referring to?
silentbob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linedpaper wrote:
I boot off of 2004.2 and it picks up the controller, just not the raid. If I can go to 2.6 kernel it would be prefered. I don't mind killing windows and starting from scratch. I just want a raid 0 with my two 80's that I can install both windows and linux on.

The existing RAID partition won't be accessible unless there is a linux hardware driver for your RAID controller.

Your other option is by using Linux software RAID and not your on-board controller, ie. disable RAID in the bios and simply use the extra IDE channels. If the RAID controller is detected and working when you boot from the Live CD then I think you should be able to setup the partitions (and software RAID options) from there.

The performance costs would be negligible with this, but I'm not sure if you can have software RAID under Windows in this way.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
linedpaper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for windows...I don't see why there is such a big problem with the hardware raid though...it recognizes the raid controller and the drives on it, it makes no sense to me that it isn't working because it finds the drives and such...
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linedpaper wrote:
I grabbed an old promise controller from work. I could use it, but would still prefer to stay with my onboard. I have read a lot about people claiming that highpoint is pretty unstable, is this what they are referring to?

I have a couple of machines with Highpoint controllers, and a couple with Promise controllers - they work fine for me.

silentbob wrote:
The performance costs would be negligible with this, but I'm not sure if you can have software RAID under Windows in this way.

Performance is not an issue because these controllers use 100% software RAID under Windows and Linux. However, the array formats are different, which makes it a big pain in the butt to share the array between the 2 OSes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: