character display problem with VIM [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bungopolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: character display problem with VIM [Solved] Reply with quote

My vim is acting very strangely. This is a new installation, and vim is not displaying files correctly. Gvim works fine, but output from console vim is replacing characters with )dm, *dm, +dm, etc. I can't figure out the behavior. It seems to be putting )dm in front of hashes... I also noticed that syntax hilighting is not working even when I enable it.

Here's an example from a PHP file:
Code:
 "oom../"; *+dm../photos&dm">Photos</a></li>+dm</(dma+dm></(dmli+dm> &dm2*dm) *dm{ +dmechoo
                <li><a *dm<?php ma+dm *dm<?php (dmif *dm((dm$+dmpage(dm=="&dmshows"*dm)     &dmhref="*dm<?php dmclass=\"current+ "oom../"; *+dm../shows&dm">Shows</a></li>

I compiled vim with a very minimal set of use flags (actually, none) so this could have something to do with it. I just added ncurses support to see if that made any difference, but it didn't:

Code:
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-editors/vim-6.3  -acl -cscope -debug -gpm -minimal -ncurses -nls -nls -perl -python -ruby -(selinux) -vim-with-x  1,033 kB

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Bungopolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right, it was my lack of ncurses support that made vim crappy. I had forgotten, however, to also recompile vim-core with the ncurses option.

So...

Code:
export USE="ncurses"
emerge vim && emerge vim-core

This gave me color, no strange characters, and an all around nicer feel.
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungopolis wrote:
I was right, it was my lack of ncurses support that made vim crappy. I had forgotten, however, to also recompile vim-core with the ncurses option.

So...

Code:
export USE="ncurses"
emerge vim && emerge vim-core

This gave me color, no strange characters, and an all around nicer feel.

You should probably add ncurses into /etc/make.conf to have it s deault USE flag.
Bungopolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well I tend to have a very minimal set of use flags just as a general guideline, but carefully inspect every emerge process for the flags I want. Ncurses is a good general one though, you're right.

My system emerge, for example, was only 84,401 KB as opposed to the ~250,000 KB default set. I haven't run into any problems with having such a minimal set of flags, and I keep logs of exactly what flags I used during every emerge process so that if something doesn't work I can troubleshoot through there.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference... Vim without ncurses uses a really really lame termcap/terminfo db which doesn't really work too well on certain setups. Best to turn on ncurses unless you know what you're doing...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: