View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Problem with KDE-BASE 3.3.0 Reply with quote

I emerged KDE 3.3.0 successfully. HOwever, I am still showing version of 3.2.3 within kde. I do another pretend and get the following:

Quote:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge kde -p

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kde-3.3.0

Now, it looks like kde-base didnt emerge? However, when i got to reemerge it i get following:

Quote:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) kde-base/kde-3.3.0 to /
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Source unpacked.

>>> Install kde-3.3.0 into /var/tmp/portage/kde-3.3.0/image/ category kde-base
man:
prepallstrip:
strip:
>>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/kde-3.3.0/image/

>>> Merging kde-base/kde-3.3.0 to /
* Caching service dependencies...
* Service 'sysklogd' already provide 'logger'!;
* Not adding service 'syslog-ng'...
>>> kde-base/kde-3.3.0 merged.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

>>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

So, it looks like it should be done.....but it isnt. Any thoughts? I did etc-upate.. and all that.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R shows that you already did install kde. You already have all of KDE 3.3 installed according to what I see. (By the way, don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.)

Make sure that you are selecting KDE 3.3 in your display manager as opposed to 3.2.3.
yinyang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kde-3.3.0
Whats wrong with that? It says that it already detected kde-3.3.0 and would try to (R)eemerge it.

Maybe you can test the version from the commandline with --version on some kde command. It is possible that simply the text inside kde wasn't upgraded properly. Have you run etc-update yet? Maybe it helps.

[EDIT] It seems DarkStalker was faster so just listen to him ;). Maybe adding to what he said, this page should help you get rid of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the future (and the use of -U in favor of -u)[/EDIT]
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyang wrote:

Maybe you can test the version from the commandline with --version on some kde command.

Try..
Code:
kde-config --version

It sounds like he didn't unmerge 3.2.3 and he hasn't selected the KDE 3.3 session from his display manager of choice to me.

yinyang wrote:
It is possible that simply the text inside kde wasn't upgraded properly.

Nope, doesn't happen. KDE always knows what version it is. If it says it's not 3.3, you can bet the farm on it.
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kde-config --version
Qt: 3.3.2
KDE: 3.2.3
kde-config: 1.0

Oh..didnt know we had to unmerge :( my bad. Thanks for the help everyone. I will go back to my cave and do it the right way now :)
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinger wrote:
Quote:
kde-config --version

Oh..didnt know we had to unmerge :( my bad. Thanks for the help everyone. I will go back to my cave and do it the right way now :)

No, you don't have to unmerge the old one at all as KDE is slotted, meaning you can have multiple versions on the same box. Just select the KDE 3.3 session from your display manager instead of KDE 3.2.3.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge kde -p

To reemerge the KDE packages, look within the kde-3.3.0.ebuild to see the list of packages that it emerges when called the first time. You have to manually emerge these packages if you want them emerged a second time.
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
Slinger wrote:
Quote:
kde-config --version

No, you don't have to unmerge the old one at all as KDE is slotted, meaning you can have multiple versions on the same box. Just select the KDE 3.3 session from your display manager instead of KDE 3.2.3.

Thank you - this worked. However, as I do not need 2 versions of kde on my system. If i unmerge kde 3.2.3, should there be any issues with that rolling over to the 3.3 build?
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinger wrote:
Thank you - this worked. However, as I do not need 2 versions of kde on my system. If i unmerge kde 3.2.3, should there be any issues with that rolling over to the 3.3 build?

Generally speaking, no. You might have a few other programs that were built with KDE 3.2.3 libraries that might need to be rebuilt (k3b, kaffeine come to mind as possible suspects, though I might be wrong, some window decorations maybe).
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will try it. If I have problems, will just unmerge all KDE and reemerge.
Titeuf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to do this:
Code:

emerge -Cp =kde-???-3.2.3

That way you make sure you don't unmerge kde 3.3
tgurr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a question about the upgrading, is it safe to delete /usr/kde/3.2 and ~/.kde3.2 afterwards ?
or are there any things left in 3.2 that are read be 3.3 ?
Titeuf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy' wrote:
just a question about the upgrading, is it safe to delete /usr/kde/3.2 and ~/.kde3.2 afterwards ?

I think it's safe, but I'm not sure about it.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy' wrote:

It's safe.
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: kde 3.3 is mixed with 3.2 somehow Reply with quote

I have a problem that I have no clue where to look. In emerging kde3.3.0 when it first came out, it blew up at kdeartwork. I cured that by manually emerging kdelibs before I restarted the automatic emerge and it went through flawlessly.

However, when I selected the 3.3.0 from kdm, I get a mixture, the spash screen says 3.2.3, the kde config says 3.3.0, and kopete says its for the 3.3.0 but it cannot find any im plugins. Also I have a startup script in ~/.kde/Autostart which fixes up my mouse. It works perfectly in 3.2.3, but under this mixed up 3.3.0 code it opens in kwrite instead of executing. I checked and it is chmod 755.

the kde-config --version gives this even when running 3.2.3:

kde-config --version
Qt: 3.3.3
KDE: 3.3.0

Even through various -rx updates, kde 3.3 never worked on this machine. On my other machine it worked perfectly the first time with the proper 3.3 spash screen and kopete working flawlessly.

Any ideas where to look? I have searched the machine and traced startup script paths for a month and can't find it. Totally wiping kde out to reinstall fresh is not an option since I use it daily in my job and it would take a decent part of a week to reconfigure a fresh copy to what this is.

Everything is working fine under 3.2.3 which is where I am stuck until this can be fixed.

Last edited by RioFL on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioFL wrote:
I have a problem that I have no clue where to look. In emerging kde3.3.0 when it first came out, it blew up at kdeartwork. I cured that by manually emerging kdelibs before I restarted the automatic emerge and it went through flawlessly.

However, when I selected the 3.3.0 from kdm, I get a mixture, the spash screen says 3.2.3, the kde config says 3.3.0, and kopete says its for the 3.3.0 but it cannot find any im plugins. Also I have a startup script in ~/.kde/Autostart which fixes up my mouse. It works perfectly in 3.2.3, but under this mixed up 3.3.0 code it opens in kwrite instead of executing. I checked and it is chmod 755.

kde-config --version

Even through various -rx updates, kde 3.3 never worked on this machine. On my other machine it worked perfectly the first time with the proper 3.3 spash screen and kopete working flawlessly.

Any ideas where to look? I have searched the machine and traced startup script paths for a month and can't find it. Totally wiping kde out to reinstall fresh is not an option since I use it daily in my job and it would take a decent part of a week to reconfigure a fresh copy to what this is.

Everything is working fine under 3.2.3 which is where I am stuck until this can be fixed.

Split this off into a new topic.
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
RioFL wrote:

kde-config --version

Split this off into a new topic.

ok not sure how to do it besides repost it so that is what i will do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: