Automating Gentoo Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phipo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Automating Gentoo Installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I plan to install gentoo on 6 machines. what possible ways are there to automate this?

it's not that I don't like the gentoo installation, but it's kind of boring doing the same thing six times.

thanks for any input or references.

phipo
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all six machines of the same type, for example all are AMD x86 machines? If so, just install once and copy the install drive to each of the other machines' drives. The big thing to account for is the bootloader. You could use the dd command to copy the drive.
phipo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, all machines happen to be similar. dd would work for now, but it's likely that there will be more machines coming in later, with different hardware.

and what about updating these machines? doing the same emerge commands on all pc's? there must be something nicer?
os
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I certainly agree about the boredom factor of installing on multiple machines. :(

One thing you could try is writing a script or two to do the installation(s). Installation is basically just a series of 'unix' commands so there's no reason why you can't put that in a bash script.

A few months ago I wrote an installation script for Gentoo which reads configuration options from a file and runs all the commands in the installation handbook depending on what you put in the file. I'm trying the smarten it up at the moment, but if you want to give it a go I'll be happy to provide it if you don't mind being a bit of a 'guinee pig'. :wink: It's not perfect, but it does remove much of the drudgery (though I've only tested it on 3 x86 machines so far...)

There is currently an 'official' installation system in development (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml), which does sound like the kind of thing you want, but I don't know what the progress is...

Ol.
nbkolchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phipo wrote:
yes, all machines happen to be similar. dd would work for now, but it's likely that there will be more machines coming in later, with different hardware.

and what about updating these machines? doing the same emerge commands on all pc's? there must be something nicer?

I was thinking about such situation (I have same problem, but with 15 machines). Poor theory follows:

- One machine will be "master". It will download and compile all required updates from gentoo into binary format. I know that Gentoo supports that --- but never tried.
- Other machines update from "master" and install already compiled binary packages. Can be done with "cron".

I'm interested, if anybody has simular installation or better idea.

Nickolay
johnhenry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take a Partimage copy of the first installation onto CD(s) and then Partimage Restore it onto the other machines? The Restore is fast, though the initial backup is rather slower as it is creating the compression.

I have found this system works very well.

johnhenry
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool might be useful for automating installations: http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/ ... I just ran across it and have not had time to really check it out, let alone use it ... here is a quote from their website:

Quote:
UDPcast is a file transfer tool that can send data simultaneously to many destinations on a LAN. This can for instance be used to install entire classrooms of PC's at once. The advantage of UDPcast over using other methods (nfs, ftp, whatever) is that UDPcast uses Ethernet's multicast abilities: it won't take longer to install 15 machines than it would to install just 2.

I found this through another distro's website: http://www.halfling.org/phrealon/ whose claim to fame is
Quote:
... to allow the easy imaging of multiple workstations.

By the way, udpcast is in portage.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this:
http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/?q=node/view/35
Which is a gentoo installation project that seems to be in working order (not sure if it will work with all hardware)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: