Errors for everything basically
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Errors for everything basically Reply with quote

Hi,

I just built my first 64 system... The specs of the system are as follows:

AMD64 3400+ 512k Newcastle Core CPU
Gigabyte K8NS-Pro nForce3 250gb Chipset
1GB (512MB x2) DDR 400mhz PC3200
80GB SATA 7,200RPM HD
nvidia geforce 5900xt 128MB DDR 8x AGP
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (emu10k1)
Linksys Network Everywhere NC100 v2 (Rev 11) (Tulip)

Now, my probllem(s), when i load the 2004.2, 2004.1, or 2004.0 amd64 livecd, it doesn't matter which one, none of them recognize like the board's pci bridge or usb controllers, etc. so my pci nic card doesn't work, it comes back and says something about data byte errors.. i can type in my information manually and it will ping out to my network but it gets those errors, if i try to ping www.google.com for example, it doesn't work period... I assume its because gentoo doesn't recognize anything about my computer basically... lol.. anyone have any ideas how to get it to recognize my stuff? I know my pci nic is tulip, and I have done modprobe tulip it picks up the card fine, it's just the pci bridge isn't working so I think it's causing errors... Please Help, i've been at this for 2 weeks and still haven't figured it out!

Thanks,
Xanith
Horatio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give some more detail in your problem. Suchas, what is the output of ¨/sbin/lspci¨ and ¨/sbin/lsmod¨. Also can you ping your self without error, ¨/bin/ping -c 3 127.0.0.1¨? Are the cables of the right type? Are the cables of tested quality? I don´t know how to test ethernet cables, but I know from experience that they can be a source of data error. You could also try reseating the pci card.
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing will help try knoppix64 and then chroot and install this way.
Xanith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

As this is the only computer I have right now, it's on windows and I can't exactly copy the information from that gentoo livecd to here... but, lspci does say something like PCI Bridge: nvidia Corporation: Unknown Device, and same for Usb Controller, etc. I can ping myself without any errors... I have reseated the Pci Nic, as I have also tried a different one... No, the ethernet wire hasn't been tested, but I have tried 3 of them and they all bring back the same thing...
pivertd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So basically, you have a network problem.
When you try a network card, often the "module autoloader" does not recognise the card well and you have to insert the module manually.

ie : modprobe 8139too if you have a realtek 8139 of this type.
You can list available drivers with :
ll /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net
(warning, this is backquotes, and not quotes)

You can get additional infos for a particular module with a command like :
modinfo /lib/modules/2.6.7-gentoo-r14/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko

When you made a successful modprobe, check with "ifconfig -a" if you see a network device other than 127.0.0.1.

Verify that you have an ip addr and that the interface is up.

Can you ping the interface itself (ip addr only)

Please do not try ping a name, NEVER !!!!
Ping an ip addr instead. (Personally I love to ping 194.177.33.1 :-) ) Just keep one in you head that you know to work often.

If you can ping the interface but not an internet addr like 194.177.33.1, is your default route correct ?

Hope it helps !
Xanith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I find my route? and the module it tulip, I already know that... I've used gentoo before, just not AMD64...
Horatio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the trivial information you need to manually setup your network can befound on the liveCD, including how to setup a default route. It is in the /docs directory. Print out a copy of this invaluable resouce for installation and gentoo basics, and if your like me you may read each new release before an install. If you give the command ¨/sbin/route¨ ( that is with no arguments ) it should return a formated list of routes( you don´t need to be root to do that). You probably want a default route. To do this, use the command ¨/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY}¨ ( you need to be root for this operation). GATEWAY should be the IP address, with the same subnet, of the computer/router that can communicate directly with the network( i.e. the internet ) you want your machine to be able to comunicate with.

Also if you have multiple machines on a network that you are manually assigning IP addresses to. Be sure you have not given the same IP address to any two or more devices on the network. This I believe can be a source of data error.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: