Partition table a bit messed up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Novack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Partition table a bit messed up Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been using Gentoo for about 1,5 years now (on a home server) and sometime ago I switched over to a bigger hard disk. I did an image with Norton Ghost and wrote it over to the new HD and booted up with it. Everything worked fine, except that I had foolishly used the Ghost's resizing ability, which of course does not work with non-Windows filesystems.

Now I have a situation where sfdisk shows a full sized partition (hda3) but when I check empty space with df it shows a smaller partition. The partition is only partly formatted, because Ghost succeeded in changing the partition table but could not format the extra space.

Now can I somehow change the partition table to correspond to the real situation without losing data? Then I could proceed by resizing the partition with tools better suited for it :)

Here's the sfdisk -l output
Code:

Disk /dev/hda: 2055 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *      0+     13      14-    112423+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2         14      76      63     506047+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3         77    2046    1970   15824025   83  Linux
                end: (c,h,s) expected (1023,254,63) found (1022,254,63)
/dev/hda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

And the df output:
Code:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3              5735024   5163608    571416  91% /

Any help would be appriciated. Otherwise its going to be backup -> wipe -> reinstall. I hope could avoid the two latter steps with some help.
aetius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest answer to your question is: re-ghost, but don't let it change the size this time. Then proceed on with what you want to do. Ghost 7.5+ supports ext2/ext3 resizing (it does it by re-creating the filesystem) but it appears to have failed or you were using a non-ext filesystem.
Novack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that I don't have the original Ghost image anymore. It took some time before I noticed that it didn't resize the partition properly. (In retrospect I should have realized it beforehand, but it's too late now.)
aetius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm. After some digging, I *think* the parted "resize" command may do what you need. I'd investigate that. I've never used it before, but it will resize the partition and the filesystem if necessary, and thus should be able to correct the problems Ghost introduced. This is an unusual situation though, and there's no telling how parted will react to a setup like that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: