View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jleejj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Black vertical lines in X display [solved] Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted but this problem has me stumped. I am installing Gentoo on a HP Vectra XU 6/200 (dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz) with a Matrox Millennium graphic (MGA 2064W). I believe it has 8Mb of video memory.

I've installed Xorg and configured it appropriately (I think). However, when I run "startx" my window manager starts but the screen is filled with horizontal black lines. In other words, there is a column of the correct pixels, then a column of black, then a column of the correct pixels ... like it is skipping every other column. The odd thing is that the mouse cursor is not affected by these lines (it being the only thing).

Does anyone know what could be causing this? As a side note, I can't get the X server to change resolution by hitting Ctrl + Alt + "+" or any similar combination. Did they change something in Xorg or is my memory of the keystrokes bad?

I can post my xorg.conf if anyone wants to see it, but this is such an odd behavior that I'm sure I must be missing something obvious.

By the way, framebuffer support on the liveCD worked great so I know the graphics card works in some form.

[Edit] Oops, this should be in the "Desktop Environment" forum.

Last edited by jleejj on Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jleejj,

The keystrones for changing resoltions 'on the fly' are ctrl-Alt-+ and Ctrl-Alt-- buut only the +/- on the numeric pad work.

To be able to change resolutiosn yo have to have more than one available. Try the vesa driver if you are not using it already.

The mouse cursor is by default, drawn using hardwar, so its never in the pixel buffer. You can turn that off it if want.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jleejj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the vesa driver and, although it works as well as the mga driver, it doesn't work any better. I still get every other pixel column. Since the mouse is drawn correctly to the screen, it is obviously not a resolution problem ... so what could it be? Anybody have other suggestions?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jleejj,

Heres a long shot for you. You say the graphics card has 8Mb of memory. Is that set in the X config file or do you allow it to be auto detected?

Depending on how the pixel buffer is laid out, if you have specified more graphics memory than you actually have, X will quite happily draw in no existant memory but you will get strange visual artefacts on the screen.

You could try specifiying the amount of graphics RAM (from 8Mb on down) and/or disabling dbe (double buffer extension). You won't like the latter as a long term solution as it forces X to draw in the pixel buffer that is being dispalyed

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia.
jleejj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply NeddySeagoon.

I actually discovered the solution on my own before I came back to check on this thread and your are dead on correct. Actually there were two problems: I had an xorg.conf in /root which I copied into /etc/X11 and continued to make changes to it there. Unfortunately, (as I finally discovered from checking the Xorg log in /var/log ), Xorg was picking up the xorg.conf in /root first and ignoring all the changes I was making to the "official one."

The last change I made to the /root/xorg.conf version before copying it was to manually set VideoRam to 8M (because it appears to be correct from lspci). Obviously, that is not the correct setting. The columns of dead pixels are apparently missing memory locations which the Xorg server writes to but the graphic card can't read. Funny how the result was an interlaced image of missing pixels instead of just half a screen. I wonder if the effect would change when set to 8 bit color .... anyway, changing VideoRam back to be auto-probed and picking some resolutions that could fit in 2Mb of memory solved the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: