View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: xorg with evdev keyboard protocol Reply with quote

ok, this kinda sucks...

After the success story with my Logitech MX700 mouse, I decided to try the evdev protocol on my keyboard too...
someone in the hardware forum mentioned that it should work, so I started googling around for more info.

Sad thing is though, that there is hardly any info to be found... :(

Except this page, which pointed me in the right direction (or so I hoped)

I restarted my X-server, but only to come to the conclusion that none of my multimedia keys are working.
also some of my special chars aren't working anymore...

for those interested, here are my dmesg, my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log

is this a bug in xorg, or did I do something wrong?

the reason why I'm asking this is because my keyboard produces keycodes higher then 255, for which the kernel can't produce scancodes. Consider it a challenge to get this keyboard to work (while I still have some free time )

TIA! :P

[edit]
running showkey in console, and pressing the keys DOES generate a valid keycode. showkey -s doesn't produce anything for the keys with a keycode higher then 255.
xev doesn't produce anything for any special key (not even for the keys with a keycode lower then 255)
plek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into doing the same thing, and I'm wondering if you ever got anywhere with it?

I've now got my MX700 mouse working properly, and have the keyboard (Y-RJ20) connected via USB. Both the mouse and keyboard are set to use the evdev protocol in Xorg 6.8.0-r1

From what I can tell, the keyboard creates 2 event devices in /dev/input/ (event0 and event1). Standard keyboard stuff seems to be piped through event0, but the extra keys get piped through event1. This would tie in with the general comments I've seen about how the extra keys stop working completely when the evdev protocol is used.

So there's 2 options here. We could find some kind of "server" that listens to event1, and then executes commands when keys are pressed, or we could find a way of getting the xserver kbd driver to read from them both.

Given that my preferred use of the extra keys would be to execute commands, rather like lineak does, I'd choose the first one. Does anyone know of any software that does this? Or am I going to have to write something myself?
plek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I've actually got it together now, so that all of the extra keys, including the multimedia keys, so they work.

I've written a Perl script that listens on /dev/input/event1. I've stopped using the evdev protocol for the keyboard (but kept it for the mouse), because with evdev, I lose the use of my "\" key. I've set the keyboard layout to be "logiinkseusb", but I've edited /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet to comment out all but the "F" key entries (because I decided not to use them...). This effectively removes all knowledge that X has of the extra keys.

My Perl script then listens to the event interface, and captures the key events for the extra keys (as well as the mouse buttons, which just happen to be carried over /dev/input/event1 too). The script interfaces with XOSD, and can execute arbitrary commands when the buttons are pressed (including _all_ mouse buttons).

If anyone's interested in the script, send me a private message, and I'll make arrangements to email it to you, or host it, or something.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: