n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freenx is working here after changing
Code:
AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
to
Code:
AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys2
Probably a heritage from an old version. It's very slow with connecting and I can't resume after suspending a session, but at least it works. TNX StifflerStealth!
nemonet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have nxagent on my system, and i'm emerging and re-emerging.

My /etc/make.conf

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://linuv.uv.es/mirror/gentoo"
USE="X -gtk mysql ssl nls png server nxclient"
LINGUAS="es"

And the version of server-freenx

Code:
XiKi ~ # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge -pvt nxserver-freenx

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.5.0.20060311-r1  -arts +cups -esd +nxclient 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

What should i try ?
Thanks!
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemonet wrote:

What should i try ?
Thanks!
Do you have nx-x11 or nx-x11-bin installed? By the looks of your system, you are using an amd64 processor, so you need to make sure you have nx-x11-bin installed. There are known issues with compiling nx components on AMD64. :( This is an upstream issue and I have been following what they say on it, but there is no mention of when those issues will be resolved. If you are still having issues with nx-x11-bin, then let me know. :)

Cheers.
nemonet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
nemonet wrote:

What should i try ?
Thanks!
Do you have nx-x11 or nx-x11-bin installed? By the looks of your system, you are using an amd64 processor, so you need to make sure you have nx-x11-bin installed. There are known issues with compiling nx components on AMD64. :( This is an upstream issue and I have been following what they say on it, but there is no mention of when those issues will be resolved. If you are still having issues with nx-x11-bin, then let me know. :)

Cheers.

Thanks. I unmerged nx-x11 and installed nx-x11-bin and now it's running.
mathusael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Nx 2.0 Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Side Note: I am waiting back from NoMachine on some very important questions about NX 2.0.0. I hope all the questions can be answered because it will make the ebuilds very simple for NX 2.0.0.

Any news around this?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemonet wrote:
Thanks. I unmerged nx-x11 and installed nx-x11-bin and now it's running.
Good news. :) I need to work the ebuilds so that nx-x11 does not install at all on AMD64 machines. I thought I had that right, but I see that it needs a bit of work. I will study up on that and hopefully fix that for the future.

mathusael wrote:
Any news around this?
No news yet, but I started work on the ebuilds for the items I have access to. They don't have downloads available for certain programs, so I can't make an ebuild and digest it for those programs. It will take me a couple days because I have work, and I need to write more patches. Also, a lot of changes have been made so the ebuilds may be completely different. I am also still debating on which way the ebuilds should go. I need to see what is needed and what can be done. Also, I need to see what is needed for the FreeNX version that has experimental support for NX 2.0.0. I have a pretty standard system, so I may be using the free server from !M. Basically, I need to look at the requirements from both FreeNX and !M servers and figure out the best course of action. And if I make certain things a requirement, then the ebuilds will be simpler and I can have fewer, but if I go by the Gentoo Philosophy and have choice, then it becomes complicated and there is a need for lots of ebuilds. I want the best of both worlds, but I want it simple for the user as well. So, it's just a matter of deep thinking and trying various things. I really do think a lot about this. :P I really hope to get early experimental ebuilds on overlays.g.o soon. I can't say when though. This is a complicated issue because of the needs of many different programs and the way the programs are interwoven.
mathusael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I want the best of both worlds, but I want it simple for the user as well. So, it's just a matter of deep thinking and trying various things. I really do think a lot about this. :P I really hope to get early experimental ebuilds on overlays.g.o soon. I can't say when though. This is a complicated issue because of the needs of many different programs and the way the programs are interwoven.

I agree and I would say that simplicity for the user is sometimes a bit of sophistication for the conceptor.

It's a huge pity that I have no experience in ebuild and so little time at hand to learn right now, because I would have gladely help you.

Anyway, if you need someone for testing, drop me a line. I'm ready to write some documentation as well.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathusael wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:
I want the best of both worlds, but I want it simple for the user as well. So, it's just a matter of deep thinking and trying various things. I really do think a lot about this. :P I really hope to get early experimental ebuilds on overlays.g.o soon. I can't say when though. This is a complicated issue because of the needs of many different programs and the way the programs are interwoven.

I agree and I would say that simplicity for the user is sometimes a bit of sophistication for the conceptor.

It's a huge pity that I have no experience in ebuild and so little time at hand to learn right now, because I would have gladely help you.

Anyway, if you need someone for testing, drop me a line. I'm ready to write some documentation as well.
Thanks. :) I may ask your help in document writting. I am a programmer and it shows in my writting skills. :oops:

To everyone:
The working ideas thus far:
  • Rename FreeNX ebuilds from "nxserver-freenx" to just "freenx"
  • Rename some files because they conflict with a file from NoMachine, like for example change "nxnode" from FreeNX to "nxnode.freenx". This is to make it easier to switch between a NoMachine server and a FreeNX server.
  • Have a FreeNX ebuild that uses snapshots from the trunk of the SVN repository.
  • Make nxclient 2.0.0 a required dependency even for FreeNX. NOTE: This is because it is required by the new NoMachine Servers, and this makes it easier to switch from FreeNX to an actual NoMachine Server.
  • Have a useflag to enable the building of all the OSS components. The nxclient ebuild will either install all the precompiled binaries and libraries from NoMachine, or it will fetch all the OSS components it needs and build them. The same will hold true for the nxnode ebuild as well. There are some closed source components that cannot be built, though. This has many useful features, like getting the latest components. Also, AMD64 users would only have the choice of using the precompilled binaries because building in a 64bit environment is not allowed at all and does not work.
  • OR, have two separate ebuilds: nxclient and nxclient-bin, and nxnode and nxnode-bin. The idea would be the same as the above point only instead of a useflag, there would be two different ebuilds. I need to think on what is the better option for AMD64 users.
  • The working names of the new ebuilds will be as follow: nxclient, nxnode, freenx, nx-desktop-server. nx-small-business-server, nx-enterprise-server, and nx-advanced-server. This means that some current server names will be dropped completely with the 2.0.0 ebuilds.
  • Add initial ebuilds for: NX Client Desktop Edition, NX Server Manager Beta, NX Web Companion Beta, NX Builder Beta. Note: I do need to read up on these a bit more, so the ebuilds will come after all the other ebuilds and I don't know when that will be.
These changes mainly affect NX 2.0.0, but measures will be taken to ensure compatibility with users already running freenx. :) Feel free to voice your opinion on these ideas and say what you would like. I will listen. ;) I am still largely undecided about some ways to go, so I could use some help on that.

Well, I am looking forward to your input.

Cheers.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a great idea. The reason that I wanted to have the useflag to switch between precompilled and source building of the components, was to have all that in one ebuild, like all the componets for nxclient built with the nxclient ebuild, and the same for nxnode. This would make the dependency options a lot easier in the server ebuilds. Currently, FreeNX has an "or" dependency with nx-x11 and nx-x11-bin. The default is nx-x11, hence the issue with with AMD64 users. Thus this leads to confusion with the end user. One way to avoid that is to have checks for AMD64 and 64 bit code, but it was hard to block nx-x11 with that arch in the current setup, well I couldn't get it, but then, I never had to write blocks in an ebuild for a certain processor and bit type before, so I am learning as much as I can. :P However, it is a lot easier to do that check with just one ebuild and make sure that the supported method is used. So, with two ebuilds, one for source compiling and one for the NoMachine prebuilt files would once again have issues on 64bit systems. I would like to have clean dependencies and depend on one file, not have "or" dependencies.

The main issue with having the OSS source and the prebuilt binaries in one ebuild is that NoMachine seems to be updating their OSS files a without bumping the precompiled download build numbers as quickly, so any updates to the source components would mean that a user using the precompilled source would need to reemerge the program for nothing. This is not a good. Also, if I were to have two separate ebuilds, each ebuild would need to download the same file, for example, the nxclient RPM, because there is a component in there that is not OSS and needs to be installed either way.

I think I found away around it. Have an OSS ebuild. The main nxclient ebuild would have the useflag to switch between compiling and pre-built components. If it needs to compile, then it depends on the OSS ebuild, like: nxclient-oss. which only compiles, then it nxclient can install the non-oss part. This is the best of both worlds. A person compiling the OSS parts would still get the updates, while the person using the NoMachine RPM would not need to update for no reason, and if the RPM is updated, then all is updated accordingly. :) Also, I have my one depend, son stead of an "or" depend on nxclient and nxclient-bin, there is now only one depend on nxclient and if needed, nxclient will depend on nxclient-oss. The same will work for nxnode as well. :)

Now if only I can figure out a way to eliminate the hard depend on nxclient. The NoMachine servers need it from what I read. I will email NoMachine again and see what they say. :) Then, if nxclient really isn't needed, then instead of nxclient-oss, the ebuild will be nx-base, which will be everything nxcleint has in it minus the nxclient binary. Though, I really need to double check this with NoMachine. I know FreeNX does not depend on the nxclient. So, I will see what can be done to make this as friendly as possible to both FreeNX and the NoMachine servers.

I am kinda tired right now, so I hope this made sense. To recap, the new ebuilds will be: nxclient, nxclient-oss*, nxnode, nxnode-oss, freenx, nx-desktop-server. nx-small-business-server, nx-enterprise-server, nx-advanced-server, NX Client Desktop Edition, NX Server Manager Beta, NX Web Companion Beta, NX Builder Beta.

*NOTE: Unless nxclient isn't needed, then it will be nx-base.

Cheers.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
wrote:
The HOWTO at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_FreeNX_Server is a total mess... the structure is bad it has open questions in the artcile (should be in the discussion imho) and from a novice user point of view it's terrible to understand! I have no idea how to get freenx working and that wiki entry only confuses me more. Can someone who knows about this stuff please clean it up so that it becomes a little bit better to understand?
I agree. It could be fixed up a bit. The Wiki really isn't needed anymore, really. To get it to run, you just emerge it, nxserver --adduser {Your user}, then connect in to it. The ebuilds set everything up for you. :) If you want to use a different ssh key, then it gets a little tricky.

Hi.

I threw away nxserver-freenx, did a --depclean and removed /usr/NX/ alltogether and started over with just the merge of nxserver-freens and nxserver --adduser x. Now on the Windows machine I get errors when trying to connect. In the past (before I switched to Xorg 7 and uninstalled freenx for a while) I could just connect with username/password and it was all done (set-up was fairly easy also because I can't remember how I did it; if it was complicated I would have rememberd). Anyways, this is the output I get on Windows:
Code:
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 2732
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: a.b.c.d on port: [sshport]
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Well I guess two things go wrong here. The use of publickey and the user nx. I would suspect I would just need to log in as a normal user with username but I'm not sure about all this. I also don't know how to configure it... can someone point me in the right direction please? :-)

Last edited by thomasvk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used an actual user that exists on your Linux machine, right?

Also, there are missing symlink with xorg7. I had a patch to fix it all, but I guess I missed a few things. My tests with the patch were with a complete fresh install of Gentoo with xorg7. There are some left-overs from removing xorg6.8 and switching to xorg7. I think these left-overs might be what is causing NX to error out. :( I know that the patch has worked well for me.

Several fixes that have been known to work:
If you are using an amd64 processor then using nx-x11-bin works and nx-x11 does not work.

Some symlinks that have been known to fix issues:
ln -s /usr/share/fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
ln -s /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
ln -s /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

You may wish to check and see if those links already exist. and if they are two separate folders, then move all the contents into one and symlink it. :)

I hope these solutions help your problem. :)

Cheers.

EDIT: Are you using a custom SSH key?
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound rude but I don't think the potential missing symlinks have any relation to the error message I posted. I have no idea if I have custom SSH keys. Is it useful if I most my SSH config or is that a security risk?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t0maz wrote:
I don't want to sound rude but I don't think the potential missing symlinks have any relation to the error message I posted. I have no idea if I have custom SSH keys. Is it useful if I most my SSH config or is that a security risk?
It's not too much of a security risk, and I don't think it's an issue with that config unless you changed a lot of settings. And no you don't seem rude. You are just frustrated cause this isn't working, when it should just work out of the box. The instructions I posted earlier are ones that should make it work. And the fact that it is not working is very confusing to me. I must admit that issue does have me stumped and I am thinking back to all the solutions in the past to see if any of them are helpful. I want to be more helpful, but I am just running out of ideas. I do know for sure that I have seen this error before. I have received it once before as well. I just can't for the life of me remember what it is. I have been working all morning on NX 2.0.0 ebuilds and also looking at the 1.5.0 series to fix issues with them as well.

The only other thing I can suggest is using the final version of FreeNX 0.5.0. The ebuild in portage is not the right ebuild for it. You can manually copy over the files to the correct directory and you have the final version. You may DL it from here:
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2978&release_id=10441
Though, honestly, I have no idea if it will fix your issue or not. I am also currently writing an ebuild for it now as well. *sigh* It's been a busy morning. <_< I need to go clear my head and get back to work on this. I am working really hard to get ebuilds out this weekend. :) They will be experimental and may contain errors, but they will be in overlays.g.o when I get them done. Then it's party time. Then it's bug fixing time. :P

I will say that there will be a new thread soon, since this one is getting really large and hard to follow. I will also have it so that there is a support thread and a howto thread to keep support and howto separate.

Well, my mind feels like it will explode now, so an hour's break should do good. :)

Cheers.
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I use NX as a proxy:
Code:
Windows client (2.0.x) <- Gentoo with nxerver-freenx 0.5.0.20060311-r1, nx 1.5.0 -> Win 2003 TS

The login screen on the Win 2003 TS, or any XP machine on the internal network, shows "EN" on the login-prompt. The keyboard is pretty much hardcoded to US English, even though I have a norwegian keyboard and I have set the client use "Norwegian" as the layout. The server / workstation I am trying to log into doesn't even have an english keyboard layout available unless you login with the NX client.

I looked at the log files and noticed:
Code:
NX> 105 startsession  --link="wan" --backingstore="when_requested" --nodelay="1" --encryption="1" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --media="0" --session="manes@vpn" --type="windows" --agent_server="manes.smallworld.no" --geometry="1280x1024"
--kbload="--kbload=pc102/no" --kbtype="pc102/no" --keybd="1" --screeninfo="1280x1024x32+render"

&link=wan&backingstore=when_requested&nodelay=1&encryption=1&cache=8M&images=32M&media=0&session=manes@vpn\
&type=windows&agent_server=manes.smallworld.no&geometry=1280x1024&kbload=&kbload=pc102/no&kbtype=pc102/no&keybd=1\
&screeninfo=1280x1024x32+render&clientproto=1.5.0&user=username&userip=A.B.C.D\
&uniqueid=A8AD6859FE440ED098B323B76F35B3A4&display=1000&host=127.0.0.1

It seems to me that kbload is getting clobbered somewhere. The only file where I could find it was nxnode, and I tried editing it (not shown), but could not get rid of the extra --kbload. The second line looks better, but perhaps the first kbload overrides the second.

Any ideas?

I've looked around on the FreeNX and NoMachine websites. EDIT: I also tried 0.5.0 final, edited nxloadconfig like the patch, but it complains about missing session files in /usr/NX/var/db/running AND exhibits the same parsing problem with regards to kbload, so I think it's only a step back. Couldn't find installation files for old clients, else I'd try that.

ps. This is on an AMD64 platform and I was forced to use nx-x11-bin because I have been getting
Code:

make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/nx-x11-1.5.0-r8/work/nx-X11/include/bitmaps'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
!!! ERROR: net-misc/nx-x11-1.5.0-r8 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 939:   Called src_compile
  nx-x11-1.5.0-r8.ebuild, line 66:   Called die

for as long as I can remember (similar to this bug) , but the application seems to work fine with nx-x11-bin anyway.
ps.ps. sorry about the long post

Last edited by arkepp on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are NX 2.0 ebuilds in the works?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Are NX 2.0 ebuilds in the works?
Yep! They are. Keep an eye on http://overlays.gentoo.org/ ;) The commits show up there on the main page.

arkepp: that does sound like an upstream issue. If you want to try a very experimental ebuild ... :twisted: You could try the FreeNX 0.5.0 final ebuild on the overlay on overlays.gentoo.org. :)

There are some very interesting changes with that ebuild. ;) Though, you need to unmerge nxserver-freenx, because this is not in the tree, so I can't do a DB update on it to change your current install to freenx.
Changes:
* Now installs to a different directory thus allowing one to install a NoMachine Server alongside FreeNX. This has been a feature of FreeNX since like version 0.3. You need to set the options in node.conf to be able to have the !M server running at the same time as FreeNX. :) It should work as normal. This is what needs to be tested. :P
* Hopefully I have all the depends right.
* Made nxclient a depend now to eliminate confusion. Plus you get better things with when you have nxclient installed.
* couple more things ... hopefully fixes and not bugs. :P

I need to wait back on yet some more questions from NoMachine, mainly on how to compile certain components because they just don't want to compile at all. :( So, those need to be fixed. *sigh*

Cheers.

Cheers. :)
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
arkepp: that does sound like an upstream issue. If you want to try a very experimental ebuild ... :twisted: You could try the FreeNX 0.5.0 final ebuild on the overlay on overlays.gentoo.org. :)

Will follow up as soon as I can. I broke my system while trying to fix compilation issues, probably related to Xorg 7, but at this point it is hard to say for sure.

Thank you for your work, I appreciate it :)

Update:
Ok, my system now has a fairly clean Xorg 7.0 on it. Even nxcomp compiles again.

But now I think I am stuck due to this being a Nocona / AMD64 machine: You said I should unmerge nxserver-freenx. Does that mean I should no reemerge it afterwards? FreeNX just creates symlinks to ../bin, which is empty now. I can't emerge any of the commercial servers either, even with ~x86, since they require nx-x11, blocked by the nx-x11-bin that I need (since the regular one doesn't compile).

I'm confused :)
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evank wrote:
well, i unemerged everything having to do with nx, removed the nx user, and re-emerged nxserver again. i added a user:
Code:
nxserver --adduser evan

But I'm still getting the same errors as before. I ensured nx owns all the appropriate files, and even restarted the nxserver:
Code:
nxserver --restart

still, when i try to connect, it says "Server not installed or nx access disabled", and seems to be failing public key authorization...the problems others were having with this same error seemed to do with permissions, but ive done everything that resolved their problems. im stumped :(

I had exactly the same issue with the following configuration on the server:
Code:
[ Searching for package 'nx' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nx-x11-1.5.0-r8 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxcomp-1.5.0-r2 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.5.0.20060311-r1 (0)
and
Code:
[ Searching for package 'nx' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxclient-1.5.0-r4 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxcomp-1.5.0-r2 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxesd-1.5.0 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-misc/nxssh-1.5.0-r2 (0)
on the client. Fixed it on the server by
Code:
# cd /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh
# ls
authorized_keys2  server.id_dsa.pub.key
# cat authorized_keys2 > authorized_keys

On the server, /etc/ssh/sshd_config also contains
Code:
AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
HTH
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkepp wrote:
But now I think I am stuck due to this being a Nocona / AMD64 machine: You said I should unmerge nxserver-freenx. Does that mean I should no reemerge it afterwards? FreeNX just creates symlinks to ../bin, which is empty now. I can't emerge any of the commercial servers either, even with ~x86, since they require nx-x11, blocked by the nx-x11-bin that I need (since the regular one doesn't compile).

I'm confused :)
Sorry. I was a bit unclear with that. :oops: I meant that nxserver-freenx is the package that is currently in portage. However, this package is being renamed to freenx. Portage allows for a database change update. This update would take your current install of nxserver-freenx and change it over to freenx for you, so you would not need to do a thing. However, I can't do that in the overlay, so you must unmerge nxserver-freenx and then install freenx. :) But to install that, you need to have nxclient and nx-x11 or nx-x11-bin installed. Or, nxclient and one of the NoMachine servers installed. And nx-x11 does block nx-x11-bin, to fix that you just unmerge nx-x11 and then emerge nx-x11-bin. Sorry about that. I thought I had it all worked out for amd64. :( I guess the ~amd64 flag should be changed to -amd64 for nx-x11.

Well, I should also mention that everything is still in planing, so the feature to install them side-by-side may be removed, and also the name may or may not change. :P There are many factors to consider. But, since the new NX 2.0.0 is not compatible with previous versions, I think we will start making changes that are combine both 1.5.0 and 2.0.0. Meaning things will not drastically change, but there will be a change. Hopefully, 3.0.0 follows the same format as 2.0.0, so then the changes can be completed and things working out very nicely. :) Hopefully this is more clear once I get more ebuilds in the overlay. *cough* As soon as the errors are fixed. *sigh*

One main problem is nxcompsh. I cannot get that to compile. <_< If anyone wants to download that and look at it and see if they can get it to work, I would very much appreciate that.

EDIT: Okay, I just hacked the makefile and now it compiles. :) That means another patch. :roll: :evil:
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes must have crossed, i thought NX/freenx/bin had lots of symlinks to nonexisting files in NX/bin. I unmerged everything I could find to start with a clean slate. /usr/NX even disappeared by itself, which was good. Then I did "emerge nx-x11-bin freenx nxproxy", my USE-flags are ipv6, tcpd, rdesktop and vnc for now. Everything compiles / installs fine. This is with revision 80 of the overlay.

This results in the following package selection:
* net-misc/freenx 0.5.0
* net-misc/nx-x11-bin 1.5.0
* net-misc/nxclient 1.5.0-r4
* net-misc/nxcomp 1.5.0-r2
* net-misc/nxesd 1.5.0
* net-misc/nxproxy 1.5.0-r2
* net-misc/nxssh 1.5.0-r2

If your client complains that NX Server is not installed you probably have to update your nx user in passwd:
Code:
usermod -s /usr/NX/freenx/bin/nxserver -d /usr/NX/freenx/home/nx nx

But I still get
Code:
NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.
Can't open /usr/NX/freenx/var/db/running/sessionId{A3BAE282EF6B134D64BF665F85BB6059}: No such file or directory.
mv: cannot stat `/usr/NX/freenx/var/db/running/sessionId{A3BAE282EF6B134D64BF665F85BB6059}': No such file or directory

EDIT: I figured it out. Not 100% sure what it was, but here are some possible bugs:
1) Running nxsetup (*after* getting the error above) in freenx/bin creates a huge mess. Suddenly most the files were owned by root. It also broke SSH authentication, even with the nomachine key.
2) I think there needs to be a symlink from NX/freenx/lib32 to NX/lib32 ? <- probably the cause
3) The uid for the nx user changed from 49x to 1000, either because of nxsetup or because I unmerged and reemerged freenx. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but the shell was set to /usr/NX/bin/nxserver again, which does not exist. Most files in /usr/NX are now owned by root, instead of nx.

So far no luck with the keyboard though. hm.... 8O
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkepp: You brought up some points that I overlooked. :oops: That new ebuild for FreeNX is designed to work with a !M server, and it is installed as per Fabian's instructions ... but the thing I overlooked was the important part of if a !M was not installed. D'oh. Well, like I said, that ebuild is experimental. :P Thanks for pointing this out and for testing. :) Either a useflag or two versions of the freenx ebuild. More things to consider. Though, for now, I think I will just create an experimental directory on the SVN, put this ebuild in there, and then make some old style install ebuilds. :)

Cheers.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(About this error). I just moved the sshd_config out of the way and reinstalled openssh so I'd get a clean sshd_config. I moved that one too and quickly put the old one back to avoid problems. Then I made a diff of the two and changed some options accordingly. After some fiddling, it now works. I had this line:
Code:
AllowUsers x

And changed it to:
Code:
AllowUsers x nx

:)

Last edited by thomasvk on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved that experimental ebuild to the experimental folder on the SVN. There are 2 new nxserver-freenx ebuilds. One for the final of 0.5.0 and one for the svn trunk. :) Though, the svn trunk one is not feature complete. ;) It works and installs, but I need to add in some blockers and some auto configure-ers. So you don't need to configure things on your own. ;)

There is a small issue with nxnode ebuilds, so those will take another day. Some tests are being done, so just stay tuned. For those interested: The issue has to do with library linking. nxclient is doing some weird things and so is nxnode. And I also need to know if I can remove certain libraries to make certain flags working. :D
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my keyboard layout issue has been fixed upstream
http://freshmeat.net/projects/nx/?branch_id=39095&release_id=231712

Bah, I was hoping so much it was a client-side thing that would go away by itself ;)

Quick, naive question: Do I even need nx-x11 if I am only going to use the host as a proxy?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkepp wrote:
Quick, naive question: Do I even need nx-x11 if I am only going to use the host as a proxy?
I do not know really. :oops: I think there is info on that on NoMachine's website. :)

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: