Fix for Alpha Centauri
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Fix for Alpha Centauri Reply with quote

Alright. I spent the better part of my evening trying to figure this out and in order to save future gamers some headache, I've decided to post the guide here.

Game: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Problem: The game works fine, except for 'Internet play' -- the game simply crashes when you click that.

Cause: Even though the game executables aren't dynamic (ldd won't show them as such), they do load external libraries and the root of all problems here is libc. Now, downgrading to libc-2.3.1 or earlier versions of 2.3.2 is a pain in the ass, although that'll fix the problem. Here's an easier solution.

Get yourself "libc-2.3.1.so". You can find it in older distros. Start by looking at old RPM repositories and grab the glibc 2.3.1 package, unpack it and extract that file.

Create the directory /oldlibs and move libc-2.3.1.so there.

Create a libc.so.6 symlink in /oldlibs pointing to libc-2.3.1.so:

Code:
# ln -sf /oldlibs/libc-2.3.1.so /oldlibs/libc.so.6

LD_PRELOAD won't work here, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH will. So the next time you want to run SMAC (the game), do something like:

Code:
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oldlibs smacpack

You could put that into a script and then run it. For example, put the following into /usr/local/bin/smac

Code:
#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oldlibs /usr/local/bin/smacpack

And don't forget to make it runnable with chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/smac

Then just run 'smac' and game away.

Hopefully this information will be of use to someone. I tried to be as beginner-friendly as possible.

And don't forget to enjoy this great game!

Oh and one more thing. If you found this information useful and wish to somehow thank me, then if you have time, you could read http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/3/83849/08745 and comment on it :)

Last edited by elver on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I should mention that you forgot the bang (!) in the script example. I have the game, but never tried it in linux. This might come in handy. Thank you.

EDIT: The bang after the hash (#) that is...
elver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix for Alpha Centauri Reply with quote

Yup. Forgot that. Thanks for spotting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: