Warning about floppy install!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellwood
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Warning about floppy install! Reply with quote

Hi All

I figured I would post this since it took me a few days to figure out what the problem was. I was installing gentoo on a second box that didn't have a cdrom. I used stage3 and the boot floppies from another distro (archlinux). These have all the tools that you need and stuff like reiserfs and scsi support.

Everything seemed fine until I needed to emerge ttmkfdir, which failed to find the file:
Code:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/include/g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/codecvt_specializations.h

I finally looked in the stage3 tar ball and the file was there. A bit of googling lead me to discover that the tar used in busybox has a filename limit of 100 characters. Since the arch boots discs, as well as many other boot discs, are based on busybox, you should make sure that files with long names made it into your installation. This can be done once you are inside gentoo. Below is a list of the files that failed to make it through the busybox tar:
Code:

./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-enumeration__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-enumeration__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-alphanumeric__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-alphanumeric__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-ipv4_address__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-ipv4_address__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-user-choice__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-user-choice__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-enumeration-ada__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-intfield__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-enumeration-ada__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-intfield__ads.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-numeric__adb.htm
./usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.4-r1/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-numeric__ads.htm
./usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/include/g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/codecvt_specializations.h
[quote]

Only the last file is critical.

Goog luck
Kevin[/quote]
dannycool
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that too, on several occasions.

The solution is to just extract the stage tarball again from within the chroot, where you have a fully featured tar. I believe I ran into other problems with devices and such too...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: