DVD burned from command-line won't read in DVD player
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeddhor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: DVD burned from command-line won't read in DVD player Reply with quote

Hello all!

Okay, I've searched the forums far and wide and can't really find an answer to this problem.

I have been using DVDShrink under Wine to create shrunken DVD isos which I have been burning to DVD using K3B. During a recent "emerge --upgradeonly world," I upgraded my dvd+rw-tools, and of course, K3B stopped burning DVDs. I understand that this is because of the well known problem with K3B reading the text output from dvd+rw-format and seeing the word "RAM" there where it didn't before, thus screwing up the parsing and making K3B think that dvd+rw-tools are not installed.

Rather than downgrading my dvd+rw-tools, I have chosen to wait until a patch is released for K3B. Thus, I have resorted to burning my DVDs by using growisofs on the command line.

The problem that I am having is this: the DVDs that I've been burning don't seem to have closed sessions on them. Whenever I put the DVDs burned in this manner into a stand-alone DVD player, I get a "Loading..." screen from the player that lasts *forever.* I have also tried mounting the DVDs in my computer using a.) my DVD-ROM drive, and b.) my DVD+RW drive. In the DVD-ROM drive, the DVD refuses to mount; the mount command times out after about a minute. In the DVD+RW drive, the DVD mounts perfectly and I can see the data on the disk and even play the DVD using mplayer and ogle. This indicates to me that the session on the disk is not closed (my DVD-ROM drive is rather old and will not read multi-session DVDs, whereas my DVD+RW drive will read multi-session DVDs without a problem).

The command I used to burn the DVD is as follows:

Code:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdroms/cdrom1=/home/jeddhor/MOVIE.ISO

I have also since then tried using this command in order to close the possibly still-open session on the DVD:

Code:
dvd+rw-format -lead-out /dev/cdroms/cdrom1

It is rather obvious from my device names that I am using devfs instead of udev; and also, that I am using ATAPI instead of SCSI-emulation. I also know that it is not a problem with the ISOs that I am burning, as I have burned ISOs that were created with DVDShrink perfectly using K3B before.

I'd really rather not consider the 10 or so movies that I've already burned this way to be coasters. Is there any other way to close the sessions on these disks? Any help you could provide would be most appreciated...
jeddhor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Totally meant to post that under Multimedia... Moderators, if you get the chance, could you move this topic for me?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: