Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgtrock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roguelazer;

Take another look at my output. I only moved it to a .tar file in an attempt to get it to work. Transgaming misnamed the file to .tgz when it really was a .tar to begin with.
CrashPat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtrock wrote:
I screwed around for a bit trying to get it to work with the file format; re-tarring and untarring, rebuilding the digest, etc. I finally gave up, untarred the thing to a temp directory, then copied over the resultant /usr/* files. Worked. Too bad I won't be able to manage it. :( I HATE vendors who don't know what they are doing. :( :( :(

You do mean USERS that do not know what they are doing don't you?

if you untarred the file using tar xvf filename.tar then it was not a gzipped tarball. So you would need to take the tar file that you had, filename.tar and run gzip on it to make it into a new file called filename.tgz. Then move it into the /usr/portage/distfiles and then rebuild the digest. Once that is done I bet that it works.
sgtrock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE go back and re-read my original posts.

First, I downloaded the original file from Transgaming. It had a tgz.gz extension on it. I copied that from my temp directory to my /usr/portage/distfiles directory. No joy. Then I ran gunzip on the original and copied the resultant .tgz file into my /usr/portage/distfiles. Again, no joy. So, I started picking apart the file, trying to unzip it. I finally figured out that even though it had a .tgz extension, it was really a normal .tar file when I was able to successfully untar it with no special handling.

So, it wasn't me who messed up. The VENDOR created a file that added the wrong extension, not me. Therefore, portage was unable to unpack it because it kept mis-identifying it as a gzipped tar file when it was a normal tar file.

I was trying to find some way of letting portage recognize the file for what it was without having to rewrite portage scripts, since I freely admit that I'm not much of a programmer. When the quick and easy stuff didn't work, I said to hell with it and just copied over the files from my successful attempt to untar it. That worked just fine.
eSinner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been subscribed to winex for a while now, and I'm very happy with the results. I can play Warcraft 3 TFT with latest patches no worries, and I've not had any problems with other games such as Counterstrike with Steam, Diablo 2, Stracraft, etc. They doo a good job of supporting current games and they listen to their community and what they want supported. For instance, even betas of World of Warcraft work in the current release of cedega.

As for as Linux gaming goes, until more native versions of games are supported by the major players, winex is a God-send.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As for as Linux gaming goes, until more native versions of games are supported by the major players, winex is a God-send.

Fact is that transgaming gets most of their users because those people dont know that most of the "well supported" games are mostly opengl games and thus work fine with wine (or you desperately need copyprotection support)

The actual goal of winex, running direct3d (8/9 currently) games however is something they still cant get right after all these years (counting the very few d3d8/9 games that actually work and dont have a huge penalty when it comes to performance when using winex), thats probably the reason that they focus on games that run because of the original wine code (eg wc3/hl/cs etc)

I always try wine first and noticed that the added value of winex is so little (only a few more games actually seem to work on winex and performance is crap and it doenst work for everyone) that paying them any money is a waste
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: