Display not working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forty-Two
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Display not working? Reply with quote

This is the first time I've even gotten this far on a 2.6 kernel, so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

i've got a working display aslong as I'm not trying to us x11. The command line is fine (well, ok, the penguin logo looks all messed up at boot, like pink and stuff.) but when I try and enter x11, it just gives a black screen, and it stays like that untill I kill it with apple+ctl+delete. On a whim, I tryed it on both xorg, and xfree86, and it does this for both, so I'm gusseing that I must have configured the kernel wrong or something. I'm on a 15" 2002 imac (800 mhz). Any help would be nice, as I'd very much love to get out of lynx! :)
pindar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this doesn't sound like a kernel issue; more likely, it's your xorg.conf. There are lots of threads here describing how to get a working config for xorg; you could also try and read man xorg.conf. Good luck!
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Display not working? Reply with quote

Forty-Two wrote:
Any help would be nice

I have a real interesting fault yesterday. Then I tryed to start Xdm, on a new installed Gentoo system, the screen just flashed on and of between black and Xdm:s grey background, and the message was "No DFP detected". Then I googled for the message someone on a maillist wrote that the fault was that there where no space left on the rootpartition for the temporary file that Xdm needed to write. After 'rm -R /usr/portage/distfiles/*' and 'rm -R /var/tmp/portage/*' it worked. :-)
Conclusion: with Linux anything can goes wrong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: