Help! Installing Gentoo and cant get Network goin! [solvd]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Help! Installing Gentoo and cant get Network goin! [solvd] Reply with quote

I am fairly new to the linux community, after screwin around with tons of other self installing distros i decided to take it to the next level and get serious and install something worth installing. So I chose Gentoo...

Anyway, i have the whole manual printed off, and I've tried everything and I cant get it to set up my network, and I cant get it to work manually either. Maybe someone has some suggestions?

I have 2 onboard connections, eth0 and eth1. I'm only plugged into one, which I am sure is eth0. (i tried every setting also on eth1 just in case... still no results!)

My motherboard is an Epox 8RDA3+. http://www.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/8rda3%2B.htm

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this to work so I can finish this install with my network running?

btw i think my iso is 2004.1.... i see a post about 2004.2... that must b latest? maybe i'll burn that and try again...

-Feld

Last edited by feld on Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bug in 2004.1. It loads the eth1394 module, which assigns eth0 to your firewire port (I see from the link you have firewire on your motherboard). Once you load the drivers for your network cards, they will get eth1 and eth2. Or you can do an rmmod eth1394. lsmod will show if the module is loaded.

This can carry over into the finished install if you use genkernel and hotplug. Simple fix is to either configure the kernel not to have the eth1394 module (it is under the firewire menu) or not use hotplug.

I had this problem during the install - I have three network cards, but my firewire port on my Audigy2 got eth0, so I just used eth2 (I wanted to use the second network card) for the whole install. I also disabled the eth1394 module in the kernel and I don't use hotplug (/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 all the way, baby). However, the first time around I did an experiment and did rmmod eth1394, and my network cards went back to their expected values (eth0, eth1, and eth2).

cheers...
solja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dunt have to burn to 2004.2. i used 2004.1 and downloaded 2004.2 while installing

try:
lspci | grep Ethernet
or
lspci
to find out what card you have and then modprobe <your card> and then dhcpcd eth1....it works fine after that.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys worked PERFECT. GENTOO COMMUNITY RULES!

now to go home tonight and compile my kernel, setup boot, and have my first gentoo !!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

-Feld
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: