Can't get HPIJS driver to show up...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Can't get HPIJS driver to show up... Reply with quote

I've got two printers, hooked up to a little print server. To the outside world, they act as LPD queues:

Code:

IP: 192.168.2.169
Queues: HPLASER6L  <-- HP Laserjet 6L
        DJ720C     <-- HP Deskjet 720C

I've got the Laserjet working on a Fedora Core 2 box using the hpijs driver, and it should work with the Deskjet as well. I'm using the kcontrol applet for setting up my printer, and I'm using CUPS as my priniting system.

I know for sure that the HPLASER6L queue is spelt correctly and I also know the IP is correct -- I tried specifying a false IP on purpose and it said it couldn't find the queue.

Right now, I'm trying to find a suitable driver. The hpijs driver didn't show up at first, so I tried the ones that were reccomended (including the Generic PCL driver). All I get was either no response from the printer, or gibberish (it looks like unparsed formatting).

Like I said before, I have it working on a FC2 box. I checked how I had set it up there, and it was identical to my setup except for the driver (it used hpijs).

I emerged hpijs, it emerged fine, but it doesn't show up when I'm supposed to select the driver in the setup wizard.

How about the deskjet? I suppose I could use hpijs for that too?

EDIT: Forgot the versions:

Code:

net-print/foomatic-db-engine-3.0.1 *
        Foomatic printer database engine [ http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic ]
net-print/foomatic-filters-3.0.1 *
        Foomatic wrapper scripts [ http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic ]
net-print/foomatic-db-20040302 *
        Foomatic printer database [ http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic ]
net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 *
        The Foomatic printing meta package [ http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html ]
app-text/ghostscript-7.07.1-r5 *
        ESP Ghostscript -- an enhanced version of GNU Ghostscript with better printer support [ http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.php ]
net-print/hpijs-1.6.1 *
net-print/cups-1.1.21_rc2 *
        The Common Unix Printing System [ http://www.cups.org/ ]
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the KControl Printer wizard, at the Printer Model Selection screen, choose the PostScript Printer option (at the bottom). The FC2 box should then handle printer formatting, etc. No hpijs required on the client's end. This is the simplest and most effective option.

HTH.
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misread.

The FC2 box is not physically attached to the printers. My FC2 box and Gentoo box are supposed to do the same thing -- connect to the print server and use the LPD queues to print.

With FC2, I can select hpijs as a driver. With gentoo, I can't.
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a couple of suggestions spring to mind:

Make sure hpijs merged correctly. You should see /usr/bin/hpijs, as well as a ppd file with a name of HP-LaserJet_6L-hpijs.ppd.gz in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds/HP (which is a symlink to /usr/share/ppd/HP).

If it is, and the driver still doesn't show, consider manually adding the printer. If the name of your local queue (the one within CUPS) is HPLASER6L_LOCAL, then run:
Code:
gzcat /usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-LaserJet_6L-hpijs.ppd.gz > /etc/cups/ppd/HPLASER6L_LOCAL.ppd

That should cause everything printed to the queue to be routed through that PPD, which uses the HPIJS driver.

I haven't touched my printer settings in years, though, so this is all sketchy, but I think it'll work.
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Robertson wrote:
Only a couple of suggestions spring to mind:

Make sure hpijs merged correctly. You should see /usr/bin/hpijs, as well as a ppd file with a name of HP-LaserJet_6L-hpijs.ppd.gz in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds/HP (which is a symlink to /usr/share/ppd/HP).

If it is, and the driver still doesn't show, consider manually adding the printer. If the name of your local queue (the one within CUPS) is HPLASER6L_LOCAL, then run:
Code:
gzcat /usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-LaserJet_6L-hpijs.ppd.gz > /etc/cups/ppd/HPLASER6L_LOCAL.ppd

That should cause everything printed to the queue to be routed through that PPD, which uses the HPIJS driver.

I haven't touched my printer settings in years, though, so this is all sketchy, but I think it'll work.

I haven't got /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds/HP , /usr/share/ppd/HP. I can see /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/ though.
Steven Robertson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the package didn't emerge properly. Run the following:

Code:
# mkdir temp
# emerge -C hpijs
# PORT_LOGDIR="temp" emerge hpijs

Then post the new file in the 'temp' directory. Feel free to delete 'temp' afterwords.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: