udev alsa problems (and other udev)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlUman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: udev alsa problems (and other udev) Reply with quote

I'm trying to get alsa working with a udev only system (devfs is not compiled in the kernel). When the computer boots and it trys to load the alsa settings I get snd_ctl_open error. alsamixer gives me the same error. If I compile with devfs no errors.

I'm also getting some other strange things. When logged in as non root user in kde and click on konsole I get no prompt. When I try kuser and I type in the root password I get
Code:
The program 'su' is not found!
Make sure your PATH is set correctly.

Also on bootup I get
Code:
Can't open /dev/fbsplash

I assume these also has something to do with udev but only tested alsamixer when I recompiled with devfs as I could not get kde started due to an error with my nvidia card.

My sound card is Audigy 2 and I followed the alsa guide. Alsa is compiled in the kernel 1.0.4 and alsa-libs was emerged 1.0.5. I'm guessing this is all fine since alsamixer worked the devfs compiled in.

Oh, also having trouble finding out where the dvdrw is for my dvdrip program. I use to use /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 and /mnt/dvdrw as that is what in the fstab but dvdrip no longer see that as valid.

Thanks for the help :)
Carl
ticho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: udev alsa problems (and other udev) Reply with quote

CarlUman wrote:
I'm trying to get alsa working with a udev only system (devfs is not compiled in the kernel). When the computer boots and it trys to load the alsa settings I get snd_ctl_open error. alsamixer gives me the same error. If I compile with devfs no errors.

Try searching Gentoo Bugzilla for this bug, and if you don't find anything related, submit a new bug. Good luck.
CarlUman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found bug on the konsole thing (56671) might be related to the kuser thing. Guess we will find out.

As for the sound thing. A bug on it that I will try out...

Quote:
I had to put a sleep 3 in the alsasound script before it tries restoring the mixer

I just installed the separate alsa-driver package instead of using version of alsa that comes with the kernel. It works fine now. I guess the one in the kernel is old and the newer version fixed whatever was causing this.

------- Additional Comment #2 From Tom Kiermaier 2004-03-29 15:53 PST -------
Ok I rebooted again and the problem showed up again... This is really annoying.

------- Additional Comment #3 From Greg Kroah-Hartman 2004-03-29 16:05 PST -------
The alsa scripts need to wait until the /dev nodes show up. A generic "sleep 3" might not catch them all of the times.

This is not a udev bug. It is an alsa bug, sorry.

Thanks for pointing me to the bugzilla. Didn't think it would so helpfull.
Carl
CarlUman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got everything fixed better than before :)
Just followed this page

Now to get my DVDrw setup with dvdrip
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: