View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cschmid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I had posted this as a separate thread, but it actually goes here)

Trying to install Gentoo for the first time and hit a snag. I have two SATA drives that I mirrored with RAID1 using the tips in http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID#System_configuration. Everything was going ine and I was downloading the data for stage 2 when my power went out. Once power came back, I noticed that the raid partitions weren't visible anymore (that's fine, I read a post saying that the live DVD doesn't autoconfigure the /dev/md devices). I did a modprobe raid1, then tried the following command:

Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

This resulted in a segmentation fault. Adding --verbose doesn't give additional information. It just prints 'mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0', and then seg faults. /var/log/messages only contains a 'Apr 17 11:29:49 lyxnaycd md: md0 stopped' line... Examining my sda[1-4] and sdb[1-4] partitions with mdadm -E shows that everything is fine (all of them are clean).

I read in a forum post that some people were getting seg faults with mdadm v1.8.1 and had to downgrade to 1.7. Could this be the problem I am having? I can always wipe out the arrays and create new ones since I'm still in the early portion of installation. However, if there is a bug with the mdadm program, I would want everyone else to be aware of it.

Thanks,

Chris Schmidt

[UPDATE]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73777 discusses the defect within mdadm. v1.8.1 is a beta release of mdadm 2.0. I'm guessing the LiveDVD is complete now, but is there any way to get the older version of mdadm 1.7 added to RR4?

Is it possible for me to downgrade mdadm somehow after booting the LiveDVD? Since I don't have access to my filesystem on the machine, I don't know how to get the correct version of mdadm installed so I can assemble the arrays and start the stage 2 process again.
travail101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: silly me... Reply with quote

but could someone point me in the direction of an exhaustive/complete list of packages/programs available on the LiveDVD, I need to see if I need to request anything for the next release ;-).

Like for instance... DOSBox? I know it's silly, but i like to play me some ancient DOS Games from the 286 years... and with my hard drive recently dying, I'm going to be running my system exclusively from this LiveCD for as long as it takes to get Hitachi to Replace it... which they better do, it crapped out after 9 months, and had already developed bad blacks in the first 3 months... anyway, thanx in advance :-) and thank you Ixnay for this seriously Kickass Live...Disc... :-P. oh also if there no GTetriNET, that should be added too :-P, but more importantly.. DOSBox.

I may have some more serious requests (as in non-gaming) requests after checking out the full list, wherever it is...

I spose I could just compare the changelogs from 1.05... was that the first public release? would checking all that be a complete list of all things available on the Disc?
Gserack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: silly me... Reply with quote

travail101 wrote:

... get Hitachi to Replace it... which they better do, it crapped out after 9 months, and had already developed bad blacks in the first 3 months...

Hitatchi? as in the old IBM DeathStars? Wuff. Those damn things go down more often than a $2 vegas whore :p

G
travail101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: =P Reply with quote

yes, that Hitachi... it was 80 bux...(I think) good deal when I bought it. but, oh well now I know better. at any rate it was the cheapest one at the time by about 20 dollars and was 5400 RPM, so I figured, I'll give Hitachi a try... I've never used a Hitchi drive before, and I doubt I'll be buying anymore for a good many years more.

well... not the Deskstar... but the Travelstar. not that it matter's it's still the only Hard drive I've ever had die on me... that's not good odds for Hitachi
_Adik_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: silly me... Reply with quote

Gserack wrote:
travail101 wrote:

... get Hitachi to Replace it... which they better do, it crapped out after 9 months, and had already developed bad blacks in the first 3 months...

Hitatchi? as in the old IBM DeathStars? Wuff. Those damn things go down more often than a $2 vegas whore :p

G

could you please write her phone number :twisted:
travail101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: :-P Reply with quote

phone number, I´d give the little bitch to ya if I didn´t need her as collateral to get a free replacement from the Global Hitachi Pimp Consortium

but on a different note... I used a seemingly not-so-great program called TrueDownloader to download the iso for 2.30, and it did some strange things, ebventually i ended up with a file matching the size of the ISO, and burned it... the CD has files on it that I can see in Explorer... but... upon trying to boot it, just freezes at starting grub...¨or loading grub, or something like that I never remember verbatum. think it´s a corrupted download? I downloaded it once in the past on the now dead HD and it booted in QEMU... I hate burning coasters... oh well... I will try again. this time I´ll use the windows version of wget, wget is tha shiznit. nothing like pimping the console on someone else's windows box with a GNU tool ;-)

EDIT: yeah... it was a corrupted download... needless to say i will never use TrueDownloader again... gives FOSS a bad name, anyway, the LiveCD boots and so on, but... if linux-wlan-ng is indeed on the liveCD, i can not find it, and "modprobe prism2_usb" certainly does not work. so my request would be getting the prism2_usb module onto the CD, and if possible a script to autodetect and autoDHCP it, but... really all i need is the driver module, and the userspace tools... i don't mind modprobing it and setting it up manually if need be (i have to do that currently with Knoppix anyway) alos, could skype get a bump to the latest 1.1.x.x version? that'd be tight
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd64 version is quite ready, I'm adding opengl support for nvidia and ati (both 32 and 64 bit)... hacking linuxrc.... ;)
flipy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
amd64 version is quite ready, I'm adding opengl support for nvidia and ati (both 32 and 64 bit)... hacking linuxrc.... ;)

woooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
such a nice job!
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever happened to the ibiblio upload???? i am desperately waiting to get the live-dvd :(
Gserack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobers_2002 wrote:
whatever happened to the ibiblio upload???? i am desperately waiting to get the live-dvd :(

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I've filled out the requisite info, but they seem to be dragging their butts on this one.

I suspect ibiblio is not going to provide the reaction time neceasary to post frequent updates.

I have two other plans in the works right now... It's hard finding someone to host a couple 2gig images that can take a thousand+ downloads of it / month.

:(
travail101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: A few things... Reply with quote

Can we get the prism2_usb module on the CD, maybe the latest Skype version, and... dd_rescue, that'd be cool... currently I can only get online with a Wired LAN connection... which I don't have 24 hour access too... so those wireless driver would be great... and Skype I use extensively for international calls, so a version bump would be very nice. dd_rescue I will need to salvage my Hard Drive partition if at all possible... this I may be able to get a different LiveCD for... but... I think it's small enough you could just throw it on ;-)

if anyone knows of a LiveCD that has the prism2_usb drivers from linux-wlan-ng, and the user space tools, other than:
Knoppix 3.7
Linespa .3

please let me know :-D
marco007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and installer:) (y)
flipy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and maybe support for acx100/110 wireless cards (us robotics, dlink...)? Just need the acx_pci module, that's all. Would be very helpful!
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to do all that's possible on 2.50 LiveDVD. It will be a full 2005.0 LiveDVD, I hope with an installer (I need your help) and with these features:

Dosbox
Skype updated
ACX100/110 (if kernel modules build correctly)
linux-wlan-ng
a stable mdadm

2.40 AMD64 LiveDVD is on the way, please be patient, I work on RR4 in my spare time. Donations are always accepted, if you want to send me something (:D) please write me an e-mail :roll:
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, grab this: http://www.lxnay.scarlet.nl/snap-amd64-beta.png
flipy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
In the meantime, grab this: http://www.lxnay.scarlet.nl/snap-amd64-beta.png

if you need any help testing/compiling/making let me know :D
edit
check out the latest version of dmraid, I think 2005.0 uses rc6 and rc7 is out :D

Last edited by flipy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
gouns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: RR4 2.40 MD5 ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I downloaded the 2.40 LiveDVD iso with bittorrent but I'm not able to find the md5sum of it.
I have generated my md5sum of the iso I downloaded, is it the right one ?

81c34e56749f915fd2220ab52f5c3be2

Thanks,
A.
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RR4 2.40 MD5 ? Reply with quote

gouns wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded the 2.40 LiveDVD iso with bittorrent but I'm not able to find the md5sum of it.
I have generated my md5sum of the iso I downloaded, is it the right one ?

81c34e56749f915fd2220ab52f5c3be2

Thanks,
A.

http://lxnay.no-ip.org/livecd-iso/Gentoo-RR4-LiveDVD-2.40.iso.md5
gouns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lxnay!

I'm ready to burn this great LiveDVD now ;)
goprisko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Using the RR4 DVD to create a new Gentoo System on Hard Disk Reply with quote

I have the Gentoo 2.4 RR4 LiveDVD successfully burnt onto a disk.

I have also successfully booted this and enabled ADSL.

I have read the install directions given in Lxnay's website.

I do not want to change anything. The system as is works fine on my computers.

Do I simply copy all the files onto my file system?

Do I then hand configure the boot files?

Where on the DVD will I find the docs explaining this?

Regards,

Indy

PS: Thanks for a fine effort !:D
mj2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you please add the modules for mpt fusion scsi devices? I have a dell precision 650 and the livedvd doesn't work because support for mptbase and mptscsih isn't included
jani80k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: nico job! Reply with quote

Hi lxnay!

Your LiveDVD rocks!

Unfortunately, it does not have dmraid support. Could you please consider adding it to your next release?

Thanks a lot for this nice piece of software and keep up the great work!

jANI80k
Kompakt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hard work. I've been looking for something like this to install Gentoo on my home machine. I already have it at work. I'm having a bit of a problem though...

I downloaded the 2.3 LiveCD version and booted with it. No matter what I choose from Grub, the system seems to pause at the Gentoo splash screen w/o showing any progress. I know it took me a while to install Gentoo the first time, but I dont think that its supposed to take that long to load from a LiveCD/DVD, or does it?

BTW, the system I tried it on is a P3 933Mhz w/512mb Ram. I'm looking forward for the AMD64 version to install on this AMD64 3000+ 1GB machine.

Thanks again...
Tobias_R
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Seed! Reply with quote

Anyone care to seed more? I've got a download speed of 10kb/s at the moment... :?

Thanx!

/Tobias

Hmm, I´t now does'nt work at all. Log:

Quote:

NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=82.82.78.1 port=24471
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=68.33.239.27 port=6881
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=212.202.209.236 port=6882
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=212.159.101.53 port=6881
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=24.238.177.11 port=6881
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=82.9.235.155 port=6882
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=80.180.136.217 port=6882
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=24.22.196.105 port=6881
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=62.121.84.232 port=21092
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=220.109.176.109 port=8700
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=198.134.96.9 port=6881
[1:35:26] NON-COMPACT PEER: ip=207.44.176.30 port=6882

Now its working fine! 100-150kb/s. Looking forward to give the LiveCD a test on my laptop.
tfh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading the livedvd right now

is lvm2 statically compiled or is it linked to a library in /usr/ ?

There is a probem if it is dynamic linked as explained on the lvm2 howto http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20

Jump to: