Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timdaslayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindmik wrote:
timdaslayer wrote:
hey, i'm *trying* to use the livecd and it fails on mounting the cd (i.e. it never does - so the system never boots)

any suggestions????

If you could give some more details on your situation, it would be easier to help...

I'm guessing that you have set the BIOS to boot from CD first?
Does the system halt, or does it load the normal OS, or does the machine have a OS to begin with?

yes, i have the bios properly set up, it boots into the cd, with framebuffer on the bar never loads, and with framebuffer off it can't get past the step where it mounts the cd. (i think onto something like /newroot) if the actual text that it pauses on would help i can copy it down. i left it for 15 min and it never did move on from that step, so something is the matter. to answer your question, the system "halts" and yes, i have windoze xp home on it right now.

i have a pentium 4 2.4 ghz 800 mhz fsb, 768 mb pc3200 ram, agp nvidia 6800 128mb, 120 gb sata hd (it has 8 partitions right now), and two cd-rom drives (one is a sony burner, the other is just a cheap 52x cd reader - the cd won't boot from either)

trying to boot the 2.30 livecd - i burned it using nero express on windows.

sorry for not giving all this info earlier, and thanks for helping.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@timdaslayer: Well if your machine has got problems with the framebuffer, you probably have a bad/unsupported mainboard, and that means maybe you have to turn off ACPI and/or hardware autodetection and in some rarer cases dhcp too for it to boot. Oh and you can also try switching SMP off if nothing else helped. Even though it's a P4, sometimes this causes problems...
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timdaslayer wrote:
lindmik wrote:
timdaslayer wrote:
hey, i'm *trying* to use the livecd and it fails on mounting the cd (i.e. it never does - so the system never boots)

any suggestions????

If you could give some more details on your situation, it would be easier to help...

Does the system halt, or does it load the normal OS, or does the machine have a OS to begin with?

yes, i have the bios properly set up, it boots into the cd, with framebuffer on the bar never loads, and with framebuffer off it can't get past the step where it mounts the cd. (i think onto something like /newroot) if the actual text that it pauses on would help i can copy it down. i left it for 15 min and it never did move on from that step, so something is the matter. to answer your question, the system "halts" and yes, i have windoze xp home on it right now.

i have a pentium 4 2.4 ghz 800 mhz fsb, 768 mb pc3200 ram, agp nvidia 6800 128mb, 120 gb sata hd (it has 8 partitions right now), and two cd-rom drives (one is a sony burner, the other is just a cheap 52x cd reader - the cd won't boot from either)

2.30 livecd is quite old. Can you try with the latest rr4 2.60 DVD ?
timdaslayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
timdaslayer wrote:
lindmik wrote:
timdaslayer wrote:

any suggestions????

2.30 livecd is quite old. Can you try with the latest rr4 2.60 DVD ?

i don't have a dvd burner... :?
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda share that sentament - my DVD drive blew up and I don't have access to a DVD burner - however my cd writer is working perfectly
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
I kinda share that sentament - my DVD drive blew up and I don't have access to a DVD burner - however my cd writer is working perfectly

I know, and I'm sorry. But in Italy a DVD burner costs 50€ :o :roll:
timdaslayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
playfool wrote:

so... any suggestion on how to make the livecd work - do you really think the prob is fixed in the livedvd???

any possibility we could convince you to keep updating the livecd ??? :wink: just kde or just gnome would be fine - no need for multiple options...
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
playfool wrote:

I know they are cheap but I'm handicapped and currently living off the absolutely lowest level of welfare there is available - this means I cannot afford new hardware, it's that simple, I'm still using my age old 1600+ AMD with SDR RAM.
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
lxnay wrote:
playfool wrote:

I know they are cheap but I'm handicapped and currently living off the absolutely lowest level of welfare there is available - this means I cannot afford new hardware, it's that simple, I'm still using my age old 1600+ AMD with SDR RAM.

I know, and "a burner costs only 50€" it's not a valid reason, but I have a different target right now. If you can find someone that want to fork RR4 and resize the whole environment to fit on a CD, I'm pleased to help you.
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ignore exactly all of my requests in 2.60? Okay, not everything. GRUB seems to be included, at least. Dropping other DEs (from the boot menu, anyway) and keeping KDE (!!!) that takes 15 minutes to boot off the DVD is just stupid. XFCE-4, for instance, can do everything very well for a LiveDVD, and it can boot up in reasonable time. The disc also has no games, but still lots of free space, which is a shame because now it is not possible to test 3d acceleration easily (Doom3 or UT2004 demos shouldn't be too much of a problem).

The installer is somewhat buggy and a broken network will cause the installation to fail with no questions asked (no way to fix it and continue installation). I did the LiveDVD installation (copy the entire LiveDVD to the HDD), which has proven to be quite problematic (maybe because the installation was interrupted by that network problem). I'll try to post more status updates after I can get a kernel that actually works (2.6.13/2.6.14-rc* vanilla/gentoo/mm are all randomly crashing and/or booting very slowly and/or not supporting the Cardbus and/or reporting IDE errors).
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it seems that you have just rm'ed lots of files without telling Portage about it. This leads to interesting trouble when trying to use/install/uninstall software. I think I'll do a fresh stage3 install instead of trying to fix this one.
timdaslayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tronic wrote:
Did you ignore exactly all of my requests in 2.60? Okay, not everything. GRUB seems to be included, at least. Dropping other DEs (from the boot menu, anyway) and keeping KDE (!!!) that takes 15 minutes to boot off the DVD is just stupid. XFCE-4, for instance, can do everything very well for a LiveDVD, and it can boot up in reasonable time. The disc also has no games, but still lots of free space, which is a shame because now it is not possible to test 3d acceleration easily (Doom3 or UT2004 demos shouldn't be too much of a problem).

The installer is somewhat buggy and a broken network will cause the installation to fail with no questions asked (no way to fix it and continue installation). I did the LiveDVD installation (copy the entire LiveDVD to the HDD), which has proven to be quite problematic (maybe because the installation was interrupted by that network problem). I'll try to post more status updates after I can get a kernel that actually works (2.6.13/2.6.14-rc* vanilla/gentoo/mm are all randomly crashing and/or booting very slowly and/or not supporting the Cardbus and/or reporting IDE errors).

haha, sorry couldn't help replying to this - but geez man - give lxnay a break - he's doing this on his own time and has no team helping him - he does what he thinks is best - and can't please everyone (i.e. why he's not making an updated livecd...)
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxnay wrote:
playfool wrote:
lxnay wrote:
playfool wrote:

I know, and "a burner costs only 50€" it's not a valid reason, but I have a different target right now. If you can find someone that want to fork RR4 and resize the whole environment to fit on a CD, I'm pleased to help you.

It's completely okay, you are the one doing the work - I just noticed that you used to have a cd version and I was wondering if it was going to return - I can't personally justify buying a dvd burner right now and I'd honestly probably never use it anyways - I don't pirate movies and Linux distros I currently burn on cdrws.
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tronic wrote:

Have you ever worked in your life ;) ? Do you know what that means? :roll: Don't worry I'm joking... Games on a LiveDVD? Why? But I'll try to instert them in 2.60 fix3 (fix2 is out now).

I _don't_ develop GLI, I only changed its source. Anyone isn't perfect and me too. So, if you find that GLI miss some files in some cases (when internet is not available), please tell me what package I have to include, and be useful in fixing bugs :wink:

LiveDVD installation, should work better in 2.60 fix2 because thanks to _other_ people, I've fixed 3 problems and I've added dhcpcd packages to distfiles. If you report IDE errors, try 2.60 fix2 with nofreqscaling boot option.

Gentoo Portage, after DVD install, is 100% working. because I tar /var/db and /var/cache/edb too and at DVD install time, I untar it. I've installed RR4 (DVD to HD) on 6 different computers without problems, even if on one of them, I've had to fix some things, the same things that you'll get fixed in 2.60-fix2

Don't be angry, but help me. :roll: It's late here, and sleeping 5 hours/day it's not funny if you do it for two weeks.
Danuvius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: No LiveCDs Reply with quote

I must point out, Ixnay, that you do not actually offer any LiveCDs despite your thread being littered with the term; and despite the overwhelming majority of google searches for Reiser4 LiveCDs leading directly or indirectly to your website.

Sorry to say this, but for a person like me, who actually wants a Reiser4 *LiveCD*, your past work (and web remnants thereof) on a Reiser4 LiveCD appears (most unexpectedly) to be a incredibly irritating barrier to actually finding a Reiser4 LiveCD.
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: No LiveCDs Reply with quote

Danuvius wrote:
I must point out, Ixnay, that you do not actually offer any LiveCDs despite your thread being littered with the term; and despite the overwhelming majority of google searches for Reiser4 LiveCDs leading directly or indirectly to your website.

Sorry to say this, but for a person like me, who actually wants a Reiser4 *LiveCD*, your past work (and web remnants thereof) on a Reiser4 LiveCD appears (most unexpectedly) to be a incredibly irritating barrier to actually finding a Reiser4 LiveCD.

I think that are you joking... yes, you're joking... There were livecds in the past (before livedvds) but for bandwidth problems I have had to remove them from my bittorrent server.
Do you have bandwidth? You're welcome.

Btw, you irritate me when you write I instead of L more than people get irritated when they see that only one person is working on this project and he tries to do his best.

Do you think that I can control search engines? :wink:
csawtell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Please keep CD going Reply with quote

I too would very much like to be able to install off a CD. Not so much for the reason that I have no DVD drive, but because of the bandwidth. I live in New Zealand, and the monthly ration is 10GBytes. It seems silly having to d/l about 2.5 Gigs on BitTorrent thus using half my monthly ration when a very large portion of that is unused.

Please could you consider doing a more minimalist CD with all the extra drivers - I love Reiser4, it should be in the mainline kernel by now - but fewer application programs?
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Please keep CD going Reply with quote

csawtell wrote:
I too would very much like to be able to install off a CD. Not so much for the reason that I have no DVD drive, but because of the bandwidth. I live in New Zealand, and the monthly ration is 10GBytes. It seems silly having to d/l about 2.5 Gigs on BitTorrent thus using half my monthly ration when a very large portion of that is unused.

Please could you consider doing a more minimalist CD with all the extra drivers - I love Reiser4, it should be in the mainline kernel by now - but fewer application programs?

Surf Unsupported Software section and you'll find the livecd you're looking for. RR4 is this, if you don't want to d/l 2,3GB, I'm sorry :(
greyskies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: HELP!!!! Reply with quote

:cry: I have read everything I can, as a noob, before posting here. I have tried and tried to install 2.60 after a LiveDVD boot, and no matter what, it will not start. I can boot, I can use many of the apps off the DVD after boot, and some will not start, as the icon goes "POOF" and disappears (does not say POOF, just used for effect here).

When I click on Install to Disc, I have tried to use the Copy all to HD, and I have tried to use the Stage 3 option. No matter what, after entering all of the required informatiion, wihtout regard to the method (Stage 3 or Copy ALL), the box springs up on the screen that it is PREPARING THE DISK, and then nothing. It will stay that way for hours or at least a full day once. I can still use other apps, so the distribution is not freezing, but there is no further progress with regard to the install.

I do not presently have a distribution installed on my newly built PC. I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greyskies in sunny South Florida
deepc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the installer, doesn't proced after entering the informations.

How about manual installation, is there any difference to the normal gentoo installation?
greyskies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Normal Installation??? Reply with quote

If you could, please advise as to how you could proceed with a normal installation. When my pc boots, it goes to the screen with the various boot options for Live, whether SMP, VESA, etc.

I would have no issue with trying to install manually, like the Handbook for Gentoo provides, if that is what it takes. Not sure how to do that with this DVD.

Also, did not state this earlier, but I can only login as "tecnico" with or without password of "tecnico".
Root user is not allowed to login as root. I wonder if that is a symptom that would assist lxnay (sorry if I spelled his username wrong) to determine why this installation process is not working for us?

lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Installation??? Reply with quote

greyskies wrote:
If you could, please advise as to how you could proceed with a normal installation. When my pc boots, it goes to the screen with the various boot options for Live, whether SMP, VESA, etc.

I would have no issue with trying to install manually, like the Handbook for Gentoo provides, if that is what it takes. Not sure how to do that with this DVD.

Also, did not state this earlier, but I can only login as "tecnico" with or without password of "tecnico".
Root user is not allowed to login as root. I wonder if that is a symptom that would assist lxnay (sorry if I spelled his username wrong) to determine why this installation process is not working for us?

If you want stage3 or DVD to HD install and you haven't any unsupported (like intel i915) xorg video driver, boot using the first option, then use Install on Disk. If you want to follow gentoo handbook, well, why not?

root login is disabled, but if you d/l from www.lxnaydesign.net, 2.60 patch 2, (and read its changelog), you'll get root login enabled out of the box.
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually this might not be much of a help but i have 200mb of space which i can help you with with unlimited bandwidth, so if u need it just let me know.
greyskies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Nevermind Computer regurgitated my posting below. Reply with quote

Sorry for this double-posting. Deleted body of message, as it follows in the next posting.

Last edited by greyskies on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
greyskies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks for quick response Reply with quote

If you want stage3 or DVD to HD install and you haven't any unsupported (like intel i915) xorg video driver, boot using the first option, then use Install on Disk. If you want to follow gentoo handbook, well, why not?

Are you suggesting that I use the Stage 1 Option (I believe that is the first option)? I would prefer to use your
installation process rather than a clean installation off of the DVD, but if that proves necessary, well, I guess I will
have no choice at that time. In the interim, if that does indeed prove necessary, how do I proceed to get to the
command line as root user in order to accomplish this?

If you are referring to initial boot screen, please note that this is the boot process I have been using, not VESA,
Genuine, SMP, etc. If this is the meaning of your comment above, I am even more confused as that is what I have
been doing without any success, other than getting to the PREPARING DISK screen.

root login is disabled, but if you d/l from www.lxnaydesign.net, 2.60 patch 2, (and read its changelog), you'll get root login enabled out of the box.

I cannot accomplish this as I do not presently have a linux box running. I am using my kids pc at the moment,
loaded with XP Home(wrecker). I do not have the knowledge with which to run the patch against the DVD ISO in
the Windows XP environment. If you could provide me with step by step instructions, I could most definitely try
that, then burn the patched file to another DVD.

Thankfully,

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: