i get 6 fps in mupen64 running super mario 64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simianmiscreant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: i get 6 fps in mupen64 running super mario 64 Reply with quote

it works fine in windows on project 64...i AM using mupen64 0.3, so i'll try and install 0.4 this afternoon, but i really just don't understand the problem. using opengl rendering i get 30-60fps in quake2 and quake 3, but it just chokes up in mupen64. (so does half-life, actually...) anyway, hope you can help...thanks.

also, i've tried three different plugins (none of them seem configurable through the gui - i get a segfault.
Matheus Villela
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plugins configurations is a problem of permission.

Mupen plugins saves your preferences in the same folder they are, so to run as a normal user you'll need to change the directory privilegies.

The main problem is the mupen 0.3 ebuild + the way the plugins work, the ebuild puts your plugins in /usr/games/lib/mupen64/plugins and make a symlink in .mupen, but doesn't matter, if the folder where the plugins are doesn't allow you to write there you'll have problems.

Mupen64 0.3 have ~ the same speed in linux that it haves in windows, but is more slower than others n64 emulators for Windows such as 1964 and pj64. Mupen 0.3 performace will be more much slower if you have a < 900mhz machine.

Anyway, Mupen 0.4 is way too fast tham 0.3, it haves a dynamic recompiler, 0.3 only interpreter, grab the precompiled version in mupen's page, put in a directory and run, make sure to don't use the new glide(with ogl wrapper) plugin, it's slower than gln64.

Also you need to know something: the way mupen64 show the fps is the "correct" way, but not so precise, what you see 6fps in mupen linux is something like 20fps in pj64 in some cases.

Last thing: if you have a good processor, something like > 1300mhz then you have a problem ;)
simianmiscreant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 ghz p4
256mb ram
16mb geforce2 go

i have NO problem with project 64 in windows...why can't i play n64 in linux?! :( i figured out that write problem so i run mupen64 as root every time now, but even at like 480x320...nothing. please help!
Matheus Villela
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"<i>16mb geforce2 go</i>"

Errr, maybe is your card, if the performace in mupen linux + gln64 ~= project64 + gln64 in windows, you'll need a better card

But if with gln64 you have a considerable diference running in windows and linux then a wrong driver or something.

Also, rice's plugin is the fastest, did you ran mupen with it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: