Quake 3 locking my computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Quake 3 locking my computer Reply with quote

Quake 3 locks my computer every time I try to run it. (it works fine from *cough*redhat*cough*) The menu system comes up fine, but when I start playing, it hardlocks the computer. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't help, nor does anything else except pressing the reset button.

Any suggestions?
tolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run it in a window, and from a terminal, then you might be able to see whats wrong...

My guesses would be on some conflicts with the opengl support.
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it now works fine. I picked the latest Matrox drivers and changed to the vanilla kernel. I just don't have enought patience to test it, because now I'm getting weird PunkBuster errors/kicks from server.

"Hit bound texture in upload
^5PunkBuster Client: Receiving from PB Server (v0.996 l)"

:(
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meanwhile (before I get another lockup), how can I redirect the output to a text file?

Would this be correct?
Code:
quake3 > q3log
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhaamu wrote:

^5PunkBuster Client: Receiving from PB Server (v0.996 l)"

id Software really should put PB on as default. :D

Well, still it locked the computer, after ~40mins of gaming :?
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were the last things that were saved into the log:

Quote:
You were hit in the Kevlar Vest by sUUg.
[gen2]Haamu[linux] played 'catch the shiny bullet' with sUUg's M4 rounds.
[CGC]Thunderdoom joined the red team.
[CGC]Thunderdoom entered the game
Hit bound texture in upload

The "Hit bound texture in upload" thing had already shown up for ~130 times.
tolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Im clueless.
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, solved!

I copied the redhat XF86Config to replace the XF86Config generated by xf86config tool and me.

Now I have a lot faster X, and the divx's I play don't take 99% of processor power while dropping ½ of the frames (now they take ~60%) :D

If there just could be a way of making gcc take less processor power, I can't watch anything with a moving picture if I'm emerging something...
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: What's the difference? Reply with quote

Any chance we can see what the two Xf86Config files are like and how they differ? My brother is having what sounds like the same Quake 3 problem as you but he has a GeForce4 card. (What's even weirder is that Return to Castle Wolfenstein works PERFECTLY)
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I had the problem afterwards, even after the XF86Config copies. It just seemed enough stable for a while.

The system *didn't* actually hard lock, but the sound card jammed and the screen didn't update. Everything else was running perfectly, including services so I could ssh into the box.

Now I get Quake3 running 99,9% stable (no, it has not crashed yet like this) with a Red Hat kernel and without framebuffer. A RH kernel w/ framebuffer hardlocks on me as often as the vanilla kernel (with or without framebuffer)

You could try with disabling the framebuffer in the kernel (if you have it enabled) and/or compiling another kernel (RH is pretty good, IMO).
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Sounds familiar Reply with quote

Same for me. I could actually Ctrl+Atl+F2 and close Quake 3 and then get back to my window manager. Weird thing is, Quake 3 will run fine, and even load up the very first level against Crash, but will hang on the loading of any other level. As soon as I see the next level loaded, the screen will freeze and the sound stops. I'll try disabling framebuffer in the kernel over the weekend when I visit him again and see if that helps.

What's weird though (aside from the fact that RTCW works flawlessly) is that I built my system by simply cloning his hard drive and then sticking it in my machine. We both have Athlons, with Geforce 4 ti4200 cards. We just have different motherboards and sound cards. And on my system, I've never had Quake 3 crash.
Soul-Crusher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that your CPU is overheating? Can you run other 3D games without them locking?
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: not possible Reply with quote

Nope, like I said...Return to Castle Wolfenstein works great, as does Unreal, UT, UT2K3. It does not crash even after hours of play. CPU temperatures at idle are around 40 degrees Celcius. Under heavy load, the temperatures are around 55 degrees Celcius. AMD durons can work under high temperatures (around 75-80 degrees) without any problems however it will shorten the lifespan of your chip.

As for the other components, I have two exhaust fans on the case, one on the Power supply, and a HS/F on the GeForce 4. Motherboard temperatures remain at around 35 degrees Celcius. I've reinstalled Quake 3 arena numerous times (using the ebuild, using the CD installer, and using the downloadable binaries) all with no luck. Exact same thing happens.

I will try different kernel options, and if that doesn't work, maybe a different kernel. I have a feeling that this is related to the integrated sound on the K7S5A motherboard. The drivers are currently compiled into the Kernel. I'll try compiling them as modules, and if that doesn't work, I'll try inserting my SB Live! just to varify.
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Found my problem... Reply with quote

Ok, I disabled framebuffer support, recompiled and rebooted with the new kernel. Quake 3 does the exact same thing, even after a fresh install with fresh .cfg files. However, when I disabled the sound Quake 3 will run fine. It's definately the integrated sound on this mainboard (K7S5A) that is causing the problem. I will now try using alsa instead of having sound support in the kernel. I'll post back with results.
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Alsa did it Reply with quote

After setting up alsa, Quake 3 no longer has any issues. In case anyone was wondering, I am using the intel8x0 alsa module now. Thanx.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: