Highpoint 372 Gentoo installation on existing RAID array
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BE13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Highpoint 372 Gentoo installation on existing RAID array Reply with quote

Problem: installing Gentoo on a multi-partitioned Highpoint 372 (HPT372) RAID 0 array.

I am trying to install Gentoo using the Universal LiveCD.

Highpoint 372 controller using an existing 80GB RAID 0 array (2 x 40GB drives):
- partition 1: 20GB, NTFS Windows Installation
- partition 2: 20GB, FAT32 Windows installation
- partition 3: 20GB, FAT32 Windows Installation
- partition 4: 20GB, NTFS Free

I would like to use the partition 4 space to install Gentoo on. I assume that can be arranged during the installation process.

Once the Gentoo installation procedure starts, I arrive at the prompt. I am able to manually configure the network settings so I can access the internet. Also, I am able to mount the floppy drive on which I have the Linux source code for the Highpoint 372 controller (actually, all files contained in this compressed file: link).

fdisk /dev/hda doesn't work since /dev/hda doesn't seem to exist. Using the mount command, I see my floppy and the CD-ROM are mounted and accesible, but not the RAID array. From what I read, I have to compile the kernel using the source code for the Highpoint 372 controller. Highpoint provides some instructions:

make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10

Whenever I try to use that code, I am told the command "make" is not known. Also, I am not able to find "linux-2.4.7-10" in the /usr/src location on the Gentoo Universal LiveCD. There is a file called "Makefile" on the floppy, but I am not sure how to use it.

Also, I would like to know if by compiling the kernel myself using the source for the controller I can avoid having to use an older kernel, as reported in some other threads.
BE13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck yet ...

Is it at all possible to compile a driver from within the installation of Gentoo? I know the Gentoo Universal LiveCD has kernel 2.6.7, so I should be able to use that to compile the Highpoint driver. The problem is, in one of the Highpoint files it says:

#include <linux/sched.h>
#include <linux/blk.h>
#include <linux/errno.h>
#include <linux/string.h>
#include <linux/pci.h>
#include <linux/wait.h>
#include <linux/ioport.h>
#include <linux/delay.h>
#include <linux/proc_fs.h>
#include <linux/interrupt.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/smp_lock.h>

which is referring to files I cannot find on the LiveCD. Do I have to install the kernel to be able to access the files on the above locations? If so, can this be done by compiling from within a Knoppix session? (Knoppix works since it doesn't install anything, and therefore does not need my harddrive setup)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: