Manual module configuration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
species007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Manual module configuration Reply with quote

Hi there,

I searched the forums but didn't find a solution to my problem.

I have compiled a kernel with lots of modules (a monolithic kernel is out of question for various reasons).

I now want to make use of kmod in combination with the correct module aliases file, as it is available in /etc/modules.d/aliases.

Still I have not found documentation on how exactly to edit the configuration files here - how do I know, for example, what the device name for the serial port is? I need it in order to load the appropriate module, something like

Code:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

http://www.emse.fr/~xserpagg/vaio/confFiles/modules.conf lets me suggest that I put different configuration files, namely "alsa", "net" etc. in modules.d directory which are then subsequently processed and integrated into /etc/modules.conf.

Now the essential question: is this a manual process, or does some sort of scripted install exist? Nothing of that is mentioned in the Gentoo Installation Handbook nor the forums (after having performed a quick search) ...

Thanks in advance, Michael
diebels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any reason you don't use /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x ?
species007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, want to load modules only on request, and, what reason would there be for a modularized kernel if I'd autoload every module right at the start?

That's why I'd like to supply the respective device names to kmod, but I need the exact syntax of the configuration files as well as the format how to put them in modules.d AND how to do it: by automatically adding text files containing aliases just at will, or by using a strict naming convention as mentioned above ...
diebels
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think hotplug does it
Code:
CONFIG_HOTPLUG:                                                                              │
  │                                                                                              │
  │ Say Y here if you want to plug devices into your computer while                              │
  │ the system is running, and be able to use them quickly.  In many                             │
  │ cases, the devices can likewise be unplugged at any time too.                                │
  │                                                                                              │
  │ One well known example of this is PCMCIA- or PC-cards, credit-card                           │
  │ size devices such as network cards, modems or hard drives which are                          │
  │ plugged into slots found on all modern laptop computers.  Another                            │
  │ example, used on modern desktops as well as laptops, is USB.                                 │
  │ Enable HOTPLUG and KMOD, and build a modular kernel.  Get agent                              │
  │ software (at <http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/>) and install it.                        │
  │ Then your kernel will automatically call out to a user mode "policy                          │
  │ agent" (/sbin/hotplug) to load modules and set up software needed                            │
  │ to use devices as you hotplug them.

and
Code:
emerge hotplug
and things like usbutils alsa-utils pcmcia-cs depending on your needs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: