Network modules sk98lin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grisumail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Network modules sk98lin Reply with quote

Hi!
Your forum is really good. The first problem I have had, I could solve by my own.
But now i have a problem with my network chip, which i can't solve.
After the booting from the LiveCD I have to load the module sk98lin manuelly with modprobe to use my network. Everythings works fine.
I used the stage3 installation with genkernel script, which should activate almost every module possible (as it is described in the manual). So i thought this installation is a good choice.
I installed everything as it is described in the manual and everything works after I boot the system from my harddisk. Only my network doesn't work. The module sk98lin for my network chip is not on my harddisk. When i try to load it with modprobe, it only says "FATAL: sk98lin not found".
I'm a newbie at gentoo, so i downloaded from the internet the driver for my Marvell Network chip and tried to install it as i have done it with Suse. But it stops with the message "Compiler Error". The installation tested before it compiles, if everything is installed correctly and says to all point ok. So i can't understand why it doesn't compile.
Next i thought, when he used the module with the LiveCD and it works. I can copy the module from CD to my harddisk and then he will find the modules and use it. But when i use modprobe to load the module it says: "Wrong format".
I don't know how i could solve my problem?
Why the installation haven't copied all modules to my harddisk?

The kernel has the version 2.6.7-gentoo-r11
My Network chip is a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet chip. (With Suse and with the LiveCD the sk98lin modules works fine. So this modules is the right module)
decnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: recompile kernel Reply with quote

You will have to recompile your kernel to support it.

If you dont have your kernel sources on your box already you will have to boot up with the livecd and download them (or copy them from a cd etc)

once you have the kernel sources recompile your kernel folling the kernel building guide ( I am sure gentoo have one )

Look for sk98lin in the config and make sure it is selected.. reboot etc and smile.
TopKnot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had nearly the exact same problem with a stage 1 install (also my first foray into gentoo). I too used genkernel, after a careful recompiling of the kernel it worked like a champ. I am not sure but after looking through the forums it would look like we were not alone.
grisumail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!
I have recompiled the kernel with the genkernel script and now my network works!

I have begun to install kde and everything works fantastic!! But now I have the next question!
In the installation guide for desktops, the author describes after the installation of the kde desktop to simple change the USE flags to install the gnome desktop. Can I change the USE variable so simple?
But what is after this change with the kde desktop, it is still running?
Or can activate both desktops (kde and gnome)?
But i have installed kde without the USE flags for the gnome desktop. Have I to emerge the kde a second time with the USE variables for gnome desktop?
Or can i only change the USE variable and then my kde desktop is still working, and i can also install gnome?

You guys are right: It is the best feeling to build your OS by yourself, also if it needs a lot of time :-))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: