Using speakup with a console.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Using speakup with a console. Reply with quote

After reading the latest GWN, and being informed we have an accesibility group, I thought of several things that could be simplified if my comp read things aloud to me.

Now, I have speechd running on my comps adnd I can send files there to have them read aloud, but what if one wants to integrate more. If the boot message could be read aloud during boot then I would know what goes on when I boot my servers without having to find that spare screen and cary it over.

I have searched around the site, but havn't found any HOWTOs or othe newbie-docs relating to this. So does anyone have one lying around?

Now, since my visual impairment isn't worse than what glasses can fix I suppose there probably are easier ways to achieve these things, but then the argument "because I want to" comes in handy.
KaZeR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think boot messages can't be read directly from within the boot process. It requires for example your soundcard drivers to be loaded, your sound demon to be running etc..

If you want to hear what happened during boot, you could still do smth like
Code:
dmesg > /dev/speech

in some startup script.. i'd avise you to grep some stuff out, or you'll get 10 minutes of speech :)

Hope this helps...
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured that one out, but then that assumes that the boot process got that far and well, if it got that far then I can pretty well ssh to the box and read the dmesg directly.

No, just like I can use bootsplash or any other advanced multimedia feature from boot, I want this as well. It has to be doable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: