ffmpeg don´t emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whygentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: ffmpeg don´t emerge Reply with quote

I´m trying to emerge ffmpeg. I got error messages refering to ffplay.c saying:

-there is no file or directory X11/Xlib.h

in funktion 'main'
-Display undeclared
-implicit declaration of 'XOpenDisplay'
-implicit declaration of 'DisplayWidth'
-implicit declaration of 'DefaultSreen'
-implicit declaration of 'DisplayHeight'
-implicit declaration of 'XCloseDisplay'

I have read in the file ffplay.c and there is some information about search for X11/Xlib.h if X11 is defined.

Anyone who has any clue?
whygentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED!!!

I´m running 2.6.7-rc3-love2 source, without X. I´m trying to setup a VDR. I need ffmpegs libavcodec part to support vdrplugin-dxr3.
My USE-flag in /etc/make.conf are USE="-qt -kde -gtk -gnome -X lirc dvd dvb".
emerge ffmpeg -v -p, told me that gentoo still tried to emerge support for X.
The command line: USE="-qt -kde -gtk -gnome -X lirc dvd dvb -arts -opengl" emerge ffmpeg -v -p didn´t try to install X. It was nessesary to add '-arts' and '-opengl'.
I run: USE="-qt -kde -gtk -gnome -X lirc dvd dvb -arts -opengl" emerge ffmpeg, and I got the error messages mentioned in my first post.

A closer look to http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ showed:
"FFmpeg is a complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. It includes libavcodec, the leading audio/video codec library. FFmpeg is developped under Linux, but it can compiled under most OSes, including Windows.
The project is made of several components:
ffmpeg is a command line tool to convert one video file format to another. It also supports grabbing and encoding in real time from a TV card.
ffserver is an HTTP (RTSP is being developped) multimedia streaming server for live broadcasts. Time shifting of live broadcast is also supported.
ffplay is a simple media player based on SDL and on the ffmpeg libraries.
libavcodec is a library containing all the ffmpeg audio/video encoders and decoders. Most codecs were developped from scratch to ensure best performances and high code reusability.
libavformat is a library containing parsers and generators for all common audio/video formats."

The ffplay (who seemed to cause the emerge error) is based on SDL. A closer look to SDL http://www.libsdl.org/index.php showed:
"Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software..."

This was a bit confusing. ffplay is based on SDL and SDL needs OpenGL. I thought it would work, since I had added '-opengl' to my USE-flag. Without support for opengl there wouldn´t be any support for SDL and implicit any support for ffplay. Maybe that was exactly the problem?
A closer look to the result of USE="-qt -kde -gtk -gnome -X lirc dvd dvb -arts -opengl" emerge ffmpeg -v -p, shows that ffmpeg also add SDL (+sdl) to my USE-flag. My conclusion is that I removed support for OpenGL (to avoid install support for X) and at the sametime added support for SDL which need support for OpenGL. I had to add '-sdl'.

USE="-qt -kde -gtk -gnome -X lirc dvd dvb -arts -opengl -sdl" emerge ffmpeg, installed ffmpeg without any error.

I even decompressed ffmpeg-0.4.7.tar.gz and changed to the ffmpeg-0.4.7 directory. Running ./configure --help shows that ther is a configure option './configure --disable-ffplay'. That should work since I only need ffmpegs libavcodec part to support vdrplugin-dxr3. I only don´t know how to put it on the commandline when I´m trying to emerge ffmpeg. Do anyone of You guys know how to add configure option to the commandline? Is there any general way or is it different for every package?
nemo_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip.
whygentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome.

It´s also good to know that ffmpeg-0.4.6 is successfully tested with the vdr-dxr3-plugin. I have tested it. I downloaded that version and made a local install:
1) cd to ffmpeg directory
2) ./configure --enable-shared
3) make
4) make install.
That installed the needed libavcodec and the files
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg (I think)
/usr/local/bin/ffplay
/usr/local/bin/ffserver.
And it did it without any error. I have successfully used it in my VDR. The ffmpeg-0.4.6 is always and option, but it´s certanly a reson for latest version since ffmpeg-0.4.6 is almost two years old.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: