View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamanstupid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Super-newbie question (yes, i'm ashamed) KDE Reply with quote

Please don't begin to fall of the chair reading this :oops: :oops: :oops: , but i have been searching for 40 minutes and i'm not capable to run kde

i just install all my system and i want to install kde

i emerge kde as the example in the handbook

Code:
emerge --usepkg kde

but know i have to configure some files but i don't know where they are and what files are. Also, i know i have to config X11 but my ignorance is the same (i think x11 has been installed at emerging kde cos in my system there are few x11 folders)...

thank you and forgive my ignorance (someday has be the first) :oops: :oops:
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I did this, so I don't remember.

My recommendation is to install X and get that running. Once it's running fine, then go ahead with KDE.

And when you do that, don't install the full KDE. Just install kdebase and see if you can get that running (it won't install the Games, Network, etc features).

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if you have Gentoo running then this should be pretty easy. And don't feel dumb cause it takes a little investigation to get stuff running, you just have to know where to look. So you probably emerged kde fine, and as xfree is a dependency of kde you should have that too. Now you will just need to edit /etc/X11/xfree86.conf (there are some programs to do this configuration for you. Can't remember their names as I used xorg - it will be something like x86config). Once you have that set up you can type startx to bring up the Xsession, and if you have edited your .xinitrc file to include exec startkde (in your home directory) per the documentation, KDE should fire up.
Have you taken a look at the desktop handbook? http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

I'm assuming you have xfree86 installed and not x.org (though you might want to look into this after you get up and running, most distros are moving/have moved in this direction).
Registered Linux User #335028
Iamanstupid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys! and thank you Dracnor for show me the doc library of gentoo.

I get the handbook printed but i don't realised about the other docs. Yes, I know... RTFM... but i think i will add another letter: RTFWM (W is of Whole) :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: