Total NooB needs help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FPR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Total NooB needs help Reply with quote

Hi guys well i hate to admite it but ya im a noob here, Now im realy interested in getting into this Gentoo but errr......im total lost with everything i have read and to a point i think trying to read all about it has totaly fryed my small brain cell 8O ,

I realy would liketo know what to d/l to get started i think theis is the easy part :? but as for the rest meaning all i have read has killed me .And to be honest it scareing the hell outta me the more i see about it... So in a small but LOUD word HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ.

thx. :cry:
trgarner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Total NooB needs help Reply with quote

I am a Newbie myself, I found that you REALLY need to print out the Handbook, and READ it a few times, there are a couple of confusing spots, but if your ready to start, then grab some free time, ensure your Net connection is up and running and hack away.

I'm in the "emerge system" (Page 40, Building the System) section and like the text says "...Then go do something to keep your mind busy, b/c this step takes a long time to complete.", now I'm unsure how LONG is a long time, but its still ticking and I'm watching Air Force moan about an unjust call... so that is where I'm at.

The point? Take your time, read, and go for it, if all else fails, you can always restart.

Again, have fun w/ Gentoo... I am!

FPR wrote:
Hi guys well i hate to admite it but ya im a noob here, Now im realy interested in getting into this Gentoo but errr......im total lost with everything i have read and to a point i think trying to read all about it has totaly fryed my small brain cell 8O ,

I realy would liketo know what to d/l to get started i think theis is the easy part :? but as for the rest meaning all i have read has killed me .And to be honest it scareing the hell outta me the more i see about it... So in a small but LOUD word HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ.

thx. :cry:

FPR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thx for replying so fast too .i have to admit i fell SOOOOOOO STUPID,
But we are all noobs at 1 time or another, IM unsure of what i need to d/l becouse the deeper i look into this the more i get lost and hehe trying to give up smokeing too and well tbh this aint helping lol,

Thx again i can see im gonna be liveing in this forum lol
fulat2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better good if you can download the trial version of VMWare to do some trial and error installation for Gentoo. I'm doing it now, hope it helps for you.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FPR,

We were all noobs once. A quick thumnail sketch is in order.
Stage 1 - build everything starting with the compiler, for yourself
Stage 2. - the compiler is built for you. You build the basic system
Stage 3 - Stage1 and 2 are done, you add a kernel and a few odds and ends to get a system that can boot, but not do much else.

You can always do emerge -e world to turn your box into a stage 1, regardless of where you start.

If you want to develop and understanding of your system, do a stage 1. If learning is not part of you objective, then Gentoo is not for you, not at any stage.

Theres no harm in using a stage 3 but starting from stage 1 will give you some confidence that will come in handy when you come to build your kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FPR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,

thx m8 sounds good i just got livecd and well as i do want to learn im going to try from stage 1.

I just hope you guys aint gonna hate me for any noob questions that i may have later in time if im stuck witch i more than likely gonna be.

THX again. :P
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FPR, dont worry if u dont get it the first time, most people dont. Im sure there will be plenty of people that will help you with all your questions, if not, I am. Basically what happens is u boot up into the cd and u do these things:

Partition w/ fdisk
Download and extract the stage tarball
mount and chroot into gentoo
type this to get from stage1 to stage2:
cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh
then type this to get from stage2 to stage3:
emerge system
Then compile your kernel
Edit a few files, install a bootloader (grub recommended), install a system logger, set up some user acts and passwords, umount everything and reboot into a nice, new system :)
Drooling Iguana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word of advice: Before you start, take an inventory of what hardware you have in your system. Brand and model of network card, sound card, video card, modem, etc. You'll need that information during install, especially if you're not using genkernel.
r0nin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find yourself having problems, you can always ask for help. We are all happy to assist.
Registered linux user #366586

--New California Gentoo Linux User Group site up (CAGLUG)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: