Installing Unreal Tournament 2003=> execv: Permission den
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003=> execv: Permission den Reply with quote

hi guys.

i'm desperatly trying to install my ut2003 copy on my gentoo machine. though i had NO problems at all with Slackware 8.1, in Gentoo 1.4.1.1 everything seems to make problems. The installer pops up AFTER i wether copy the install-script to the hdd OR do a "sh /path/to/installscript/installscript.sh". if it try to run the installscript directly from my dvd (/mnt/dvd) i get an error message:

nt@darkLair nt $ /mnt/dvd/linux_installer.sh
bash: /mnt/dvd/linux_installer.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

dunno why. :( i've checked the header (#!/bin/sh), i've checked /etc/shells, i've checked the web for solutions, nothing.

actually this isn't the real problem. because this issue is solved by my to above mentioned options, it's just annyoning and i wonder why that happens.
the real thing comes after i'm prompted to insert the play disc. it starts copying the first few files and then exits, this is what it gives my (and i tell you, i have already installed the same game from the same cds on my Slackware 8.1 :!: ):
execv: Permission denied
Command: /usr/local/games/ut2003/tmp_script_RbUPsb
failed to uncompress file.
./setup.sh: line 52: 2104 Aborted "$setup" "$@"
The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

Fatal error, no tech support email configured in this setup
The program returned an error code (1)

any ideas, solutions, comments? i'm stuck. :cry:

SysSpecs: AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (1666Mhz / 133[266]FSB)
Epox 8KHAL (VIA KT266A)
512MB Infineon RAM
Asus GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB (V8460 Ultra)
IBM 80GB 7200rpm / Segate 40GB 5400rpm
Creative SBLive! [ALSA 0.9.0rc3]
Gentoo BSV 1.4.1.1
Kernel 2.4.19
X 4.2.1 / Enlightenment 0.16

Last edited by eNTi on Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay not sure if this will work but this is what I did to install it exactly. I think I was root also.

1) Mount 3rd cd (with the linux installer)
2) Copy the install script from the 3rd CD to a temporary directory (I picked my home directory)
3) Unmount cd and remove it
4) Insert first cd but DO NOT mount it
5) Do the export cd line (I can't remember what it is. EXPORT SETUPCD something. Do a search on the UT2003 forums for help)
6) Start the script. Wait for it to mount the cd and bring up the EULA. Then press install.
7) When asked to insert the second cd just do it. No need to unmount.
8) After it is all done a shell window will pop up and ask you to enter the cd-key twice. Don't forget the dashes in between.
9) Have fun fragging

Hope this helps.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:cry: nope... didn't help... same error. as i mentioned before, in the first part of my message, i solved the script-error myself, i just wonder if any knows, why it appears at all. but the game installer seems to have problems with my glibc version (2.2.5-r7). maybe it's too new or too old, i don't know but it really annoys me, 'cause i never had those problems in slackware. maybe it's the cdrom's themselves. it guess this is due to a read error, i wouldn't understand why else it copies and extracts the first few files.

update: ok, i've tried my warez copy of the games now and same error. the "script-from-cdrom-is-not-executable-error" is obviously an error of mine, by not setting the "exec" flag in fstab to the cdrom sections.
the other issue is still unresolved, but i've had permission errors too, when i lately tried to cp my collection of music files to another partition. it seems to be a memory or stack overflow of some kind, because it resets the permission of the drive to read only, for some unkown reason. i'm not sure what's to blame here, maybe ext3 (though i never had problems with ext2), but that's just a hard guess, for i never had this problem with slackware, tough.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: conclusio? Reply with quote

so. here we go.
i think i figured it out. it's a permission problem with execution rights on certain partitions set in /etc/fstab. this seemingly occures only on non-root partitions. so you have to set the exec flag, as you have to set it for cdroms, if you want to execute a shell script from there directly. otherwise it won't work. the ut2003 installer (loki-installer) copies some scripts to the game dir from which a decompression is started. here is where the problem with the exec starts.

another problem that should be stated here is, that the installer will ask you two times to insert disc 2, the second time it asks, insert disc 3, believe me on that .

so i hope this helps everyone a bit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: