View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: oooq for Ximian OpenOffice? Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering, is there a quickstarter available for ximian openoffice?

Thanks!
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latets oooqs (arch ~x86 if i remember corectlly) works just fine
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it works for the ximian version of OpenOffice? I emerged it but it didn't seem to start open office any faster.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you really that impatiant?

I just started Ximian OO Writer and it took abt 10sec to get started and in a state to use that is not using the OO loader. 10sec is pretty good concidering there is alot of data to fetch of teh HD and your HD is the slowest (regularly accessed) piece in your PC

it then takes abt 3sec to load after I quit the program since all the libs are in memory. I am guessing teh the OO loader pre-loads all the Files into mem so it doesn't need to load them the 1st time.
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

I just started Ximian OO Writer and it took abt 10sec to get started

That is my point. I didn't want to bring this up but I guess I am going to have to. On my desktop PC with a 1.8 Ghz P4 and a 7200 RPM harddrive with an 8MB cache it takes about 10 seconds to load Ximian OpenOffice with or without the quickstarter.

On my wifes laptop with an Athlon XP 1600+ and a 5400 RPM harddrive with a 2MB cache it takes about 3-5 seconds to load Word.

Call it impatient or whatever, but taking 2 - 3 times as long to load as an equivilant program is a long time! I'm trying to get my wife to use Linux as much as possible, but how am I supposed to when the first time she opens OpenOffice she complains because it takes too long!?

Besides, you don't have to get all definsive ok. I was just trying to ask a simple question to improve my and my wife's experience.
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruer01 wrote:
it takes about 10 seconds to load Ximian OpenOffice with or without the quickstarter.

By the way, that is why I originally posted this question. I am assuming that oooqs does not work with the Ximian version of OpenOffice because it takes the same time to start the program whether or not I use it. But, I guess there is not one available. I guess I will have to wait until the next version, I think 1.3, becomes available. According to this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=212792&highlight=ximian+openoffice it loads a lot faster. Unfortunately, support for KDE is currently broken! Darn! Well, hopefully it will get fixed soon and I can upgrade to that.

Thanks![/url]
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruer01 wrote:
it takes about 10 seconds to load Ximian OpenOffice with or without the quickstarter.

By the way, that is why I originally posted this question. I am assuming that oooqs does not work with the Ximian version of OpenOffice because it takes the same time to start the program whether or not I use it. But, I guess there is not one available. I guess I will have to wait until the next version, I think 1.3, becomes available. According to this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=212792&highlight=ximian+openoffice it loads a lot faster. Unfortunately, support for KDE is currently broken! Darn! Well, hopefully it will get fixed soon and I can upgrade to that.

Thanks!
suka
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruer01 wrote:

Thanks!

It works you will just have to start the Quickstarter by running "oooqs". It will then place itself in your systray. Right click on the systray icon and select the application you want to start. That's the way oooqs workd.

Allso kde support is not broken in openoffice-ximian, it was - in some ways - in 1.3.0, but 1.3.3 should be fine
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruer01 wrote:
Naib wrote:

I just started Ximian OO Writer and it took abt 10sec to get started

That is my point. I didn't want to bring this up but I guess I am going to have to. On my desktop PC with a 1.8 Ghz P4 and a 7200 RPM harddrive with an 8MB cache it takes about 10 seconds to load Ximian OpenOffice with or without the quickstarter.

On my wifes laptop with an Athlon XP 1600+ and a 5400 RPM harddrive with a 2MB cache it takes about 3-5 seconds to load Word.

Call it impatient or whatever, but taking 2 - 3 times as long to load as an equivilant program is a long time! I'm trying to get my wife to use Linux as much as possible, but how am I supposed to when the first time she opens OpenOffice she complains because it takes too long!?

Besides, you don't have to get all definsive ok. I was just trying to ask a simple question to improve my and my wife's experience.

I didn't mean to come across like that.
My lass is comfortable with OO in windows and in linux. I have MS Office in windows as well and she prefers OO for most things (although she prefers teh Xiamen look in linux).

I dont have the MSoffice startup program running in windows (or the OO prog in linux) since office isn't used everytime the comp is booted and it is a waste of resources to have MSoffice or OO partially in memory if it isnt going to be used in that sitting.

I fact MSOffice acually takes longer to load in windows than OO in windows or linux.

Out on a limb here but do you have the "Microsoft Office" sortcut in your START-STARTUP link in windows (same thing as oooq for linux OO). This is prolly what is giving the "apparent" faster office load time.

Try removing it and restarting windows and then starting office. You will see that OO is alot better.
Next get the OOOQ prog working to really give OO a loading boost and your lass will complian at how long MSOffice takes to load.
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suka wrote:
It works you will just have to start the Quickstarter by running "oooqs". It will then place itself in your systray. Right click on the systray icon and select the application you want to start. That's the way oooqs workd.

I have oooqs running in the systray and when I right click I have several options such as Textdocument, Spreadsheet, Drawing, etc. All of these have a white page as an icon. When I click on any of them nothing happens.

suka wrote:
Allso kde support is not broken in openoffice-ximian, it was - in some ways - in 1.3.0, but 1.3.3 should be fine

Thanks, maybe I will try that version and see how it goes. Any problems with it that anyone knows of?
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Naib"]I didn't mean to come across like that.
Quote:

No problem, that is one of the problems with the internet. It is sometimes hard to express emotions/feelings.

[quote="Naib"]Out on a limb here but do you have the "Microsoft Office" sortcut in your START-STARTUP link in windows (same thing as oooq for linux OO). This is prolly what is giving the "apparent" faster office load time.

Try removing it and restarting windows and then starting office. You will see that OO is alot better.
Next get the OOOQ prog working to really give OO a loading boost and your lass will complian at how long MSOffice takes to load.

Nope, it is not running, I took it out a long time ago.

Thanks!
suka
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruer01 wrote:

I have oooqs running in the systray and when I right click I have several options such as Textdocument, Spreadsheet, Drawing, etc. All of these have a white page as an icon. When I click on any of them nothing happens.

If you used it before with vanilla OOo, stop oooqs and delete ~/.kde/share/config/oooqsrc

then start again and it should work
jkruer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suka wrote:
jkruer01 wrote:

If you used it before with vanilla OOo, stop oooqs and delete ~/.kde/share/config/oooqsrc

then start again and it should work

Nope, still didn't work. I quit oooqs and did the following with the following messages and tried it again and it still did not work.
Code:
# rm .kde/share/config/oooqsrc
bash-2.05b# oooqs
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file Utilities/kfilereplacepart.desk
top has Type=Service but is located under "apps" instead of "services"
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : Utilities/kfilereplacepart.desktop
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kmplayer_component.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype
/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/s
ervicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/s
ervicetype 'text/x-c'
ervicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/kde/3.3/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' s
pecifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kvtml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/kde/3.3/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' s
pecifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/kde/3.3/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' s
pecifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetyp
e 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetyp
e 'text/mathml'
e 'text/richtext'
e 'text/tab-separated-values'
e 'text/x-authors'
e 'text/x-c'
e 'text/x-c++'
e 'text/x-comma-separated-values'
e 'text/x-copying'
e 'text/x-credits'
e 'text/x-csh'
e 'text/x-dcl'
e 'text/x-dsl'
e 'text/x-dtd'
e 'text/x-emacs-lisp'
e 'text/x-fortran'
e 'text/x-gtkrc'
e 'text/x-idl'
e 'text/x-install'
e 'text/x-perl'
e 'text/x-python'
e 'text/x-readme'
e 'text/x-scheme'
e 'text/x-setext'
e 'text/x-sh'
e 'text/x-sql'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/kde/3.3/share/applications/kde/kpovmodeler.desktop'
 specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KPovModeler/Document'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicet
ype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop' specifies unde
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/sdp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop' specifies unde
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/streamingmedia'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.rn-realaudio-secure'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.rn-realmedia-secure'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.rn-realsystem-rmj'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.rn-realsystem-rmx'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/3gpp'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/3gpp2'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/3gpp-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/aiff'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/amr'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/amr-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/amr-wb'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/amr-wb-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/m4a'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp1'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp2'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp3'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpg'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/rn-mpeg'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/scpls'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/wav'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpg'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-aiff'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-au'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-wav'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-windows-acm'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-windows-pcm'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-realaudio'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-realaudio-secure'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-rn-3gpp-amr'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-rn-3gpp-amr-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-rn-3gpp-amr-wb'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-rn-3gpp-amr-wb-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'image/vnd.rn-realpix'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'text/vnd.rn-realtext'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'video/3gpp'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'video/3gpp2'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'video/3gpp-encrypted'
fined mimetype/servicetype 'video/vnd.rn-realvideo-secure'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/kde/3.3/share/applications/kde/kmid.desktop' specif
ies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/xmms.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/se
rvicetype 'audio/mp3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Multimedia/xmms.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/se
rvicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop' specifies undefine
d mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop' specifies undefine
d mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servi
cetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servi
cetype 'text/x-c'
cetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kmplayer.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety
pe 'text/x-csharp-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety
pe 'text/x-csharp-hde'
pe 'text/x-eiffel-src'
pe 'text/x-ferite-src'
pe 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-ilerpg-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-javascript'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kbasic-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mfile'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sather-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-scheme'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sql'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-verilog-src'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-vhdl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/book'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/2
bash-2.05b#

Same thing happened as before...
ralle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the following to make it work.
(Quit oooqs entirely before!)
Code:

ralph@bender ~ $ rm ~/.kde/share/config/oooqsrc
ralph@bender ~ $ mv .sversionrc .sversionrc.orig
ralph@bender ~ $ ln -s .xversionrc .sversionrc
ralph@bender ~ $ oooqs

Step 2 is only necessary if you have plain openoffice installed, too.

Hope I could help!
Ralph
noathustra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two shell scripts which I modified from originals I found on these forums:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# The ooquick script will kill all of openoffice and start a oo resident script.# Run this script to cleanly preload openoffice.

## killing all traces of openoffice
killall -9 ooresident
killall -9 soffice.bin

## waiting for them to really dissapear (can even take a sec or 2 depending
## on the busy-ness and speed of your system)
sleep 1

## the actual keepalive is called in the bg
ooresident &

Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 soffice.bin ## just in case....
i=0
while [ $i -eq 0 ]
echo $i
do
{
   if [ -e /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 ]; then
   dummy=`xooffice -plugin -quickstart ;`
   i=$?
   echo $i
   echo "OpenOffice was unloaded. Loading it again..."
   else
    break
   fi
}
done

I start X using startx. I call ooresident from my .xinitrc. If you use xdm, you will need to change the file that you are looking for.

Indeed, I would be very pleased if someone could write a better/general condition to check when X was running.

Anyway, if you like the code, please use it. And props to the mystery wo/man who wrote the originals
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: