Any K9N SLI Platinum users out there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Any K9N SLI Platinum users out there? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm picking parts for my new machine, and I'm leaning towards an MSI K9N SLI Platinum main board. From what I've read on the forums, they seem to work pretty well and the ACPI & Sensors DO work. ACPI support is especially important to me. So, if any one out there using this board can throw their two cents in on these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

1 - does ACPI actually work on this board w/ gentoo?
2 - how hard was it to get the built in audio, network, etc working?
3 - what's the preferred ram? I'm leaning towards dual 512MB sticks from corsair, it's 4-4-4-12. Comments?

I'll mention I'm planning on running an AMD 3800 X2, the 65w version. Haven't decided on a new video card, but it will be nvidia.

Any comments appreciated. I hate buying hardware that doesn't work well under linux!

Thanks,

rob
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any K9N SLI Platinum users out there? Reply with quote

robselina wrote:
I'm picking parts for my new machine, and I'm leaning towards an MSI K9N SLI Platinum main board.

I have a K9N Diamond which is close to your board.
Quote:
1 - does ACPI actually work on this board w/ gentoo?

Yes
Quote:
2 - how hard was it to get the built in audio, network, etc working?

Very easy. I use the Audigy driver (ca0106). I thinks some people also use the Intel HDA driver.
Quote:
3 - what's the preferred ram? I'm leaning towards dual 512MB sticks from corsair, it's 4-4-4-12.

You'll be happy with that.
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Aaron!
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that board and it works really well under linux, with intel hda audio drivers and nvidia forcedeth ethernet drivers.
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urge to use newegg checkout rising....rising..... :P
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no self control.....order placed :lol:
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same motherboard only without the SLI,
been working for about a year now.. love it. :)

Though, I can't vouch for the sound. I know there are drivers for it but this whole time I've been using an Audigy 2. (Neither negative nor positive experiences, no experiences)
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any K9N SLI Platinum users out there? Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, I've had this board for a while and I've configured the hell out of BIOS/etc.
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any K9N SLI Platinum users out there? Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to be picking your brains about the BIOS config the minute this thing shows up (probably Thursday). I ended up getting a 7600GS from gigabyte, couldn't quite swing the extra $50 for the GT, though I know there are quite a few worthwhile differences. I put that money towards a zalman CPU fan instead, I really want a quiet PC for a change! I also spent way too much money on a 550W 80plus SLI PSU from Seasonic..........hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too on this system: powerful, quiet and relatively energy efficient.....at least that's what I'm hoping for!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i don't expect this box to top 150-170W, and was planning on using the 330W model, until newegg sold them all out and I was impatient :roll:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much how I justified it to myself - if it's oversized, hopefully the passive cooling will be good enough to keep the fan speed down. I was initially planning on sizing the PSU pretty tightly, since I know most PSUs are most efficient at about 50% of rated output, so a 330W-350W model makes sense to optimize it's electrical efficiency, but as you noted, it will also be noisier..........

Do you have your BIOS configuration notes handy? I might as well learn as much as I can before the new toys show up in the mail :wink:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
But in the case of better quality PSUs, such as those from Seasonic and Antec, efficiency is closer to at least 75%. You really can't make blanket assumptions of "only 50% efficiency" like that, not without reading reviews of the hardware in question. SPCR's reviews, for example. ;)

I think you misunderstood me. I mean that peak efficiency is achieved (typically) at around 50% of rated output value. So a 300W PSU will be most efficient with around a 150W load. You can see what I mean in the graphed output on these two charts:

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/documents/Seasonic_SS-380GB_380W_80PLUS_Report.pdf
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/documents/Seasonic_SS-550HT_550W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

both our PSUs have high efficiency (84-85% peak efficiency), but due to mine being oversized, I'm probably going to be running closer to 20-30% of rated output and you'll be closer to say 40% of rated output so my PSU (at the load presented by the system) may be around 1% less efficient than yours since you'll be running closer to the sweet spot than me. Make sense?
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown just left me a big box of goodies 8) The fun starts tonight! :P
robselina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box is assembled and I have a working base system!

So far I'm pretty happy. The one thing I need to tweak more is cooling. Case temps are a little high (around 40C) and the CPU is running at around 40-45C, but I've got the Zalman fan on full-blast (around 2800 RPM) to keep it there which is quite noisy. I'm hoping the thermal grease will setup a little better after a couple of heat cycles and then I can drop the fan to around 1800 w/o going over 50-55C. BTW, what's a good target temp for an AMD X2?

As for system cooling, does anyone know where the 'system' temperature sensor is located? If it's on the case fan, that explains the relatively high case temps, since the zalman is a cross-flow type pointed right at the system exhaust fan. I presently only have one case fan, a 120mm exhaust fan at the back of the case and I'm tempted to put an 80mm on the front for intake instead of leaving that as passive....

BTW, I used the liveCD for the first time. It made installation a lot faster. I just did a networkless install of the CD with no special options to get a booting system, then I tweaked the usual config files and re-compiled the system followed by an update. Probably saves an hour or so over my usual procedure with the minimal install disk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: