Help getting a printer working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Help getting a printer working Reply with quote

So I just bought a Samsung ML-1740 printer, and am trying to get it working. It prints test pages, and works fine under Windows, but I've had not luck under linux thus far. I followed the cups directions in the docs, and am using a PPD from linuxprinting.org (actually for the 1710, but people on the forums indicate that this one works with this printer). Anyway, I've added the printer on the web interface, but if I try to print, nothing happens. No errors are reported, either, on screen or in the cups logs, and the Jobs queue shows everything as being completed. /dev/usblp0 exists, but sending stuff to it with cat doesn't print anything either (although it doesn't produce an error). I'm using kernel 2.6.8 on amd64, with a current cups version. Help! Since there's no error, I have no idea what's not working. What should I do?

Andrew
Rav70
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, find the LogLevel directive and change it to:
Code:

LogLevel    debug

then restart CUPS and try to print something. At the `debug' level CUPS should provide you with lots of information.
Regards,
Rav
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No errors showed up... it said the job completed. I looked in /dev, again, though, and noticed that /dev/usblp0 seems to be a regular file (ls -l shows up with permissions of -rw-r--r-- instead of crw-rw---- like most of the devices), and it has a bunch of data in it, as if cups just wrote the data it was trying to print to a file called usblp0... I'm not sure. I'm using udev, and I'm not sure if usblp0 was there or not before I got cups up and running. Is it possible that udev is messed up or something, or that the printer didn't really get detected? Any thoughts?

Andrew
Rav70
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celloandy wrote:
I looked in /dev, again, though, and noticed that /dev/usblp0 seems to be a regular file (ls -l shows up with permissions of -rw-r--r-- instead of crw-rw---- like most of the devices), and it has a bunch of data in it, as if cups just wrote the data it was trying to print to a file called usblp0... I'm not sure. I'm using udev
Andrew

hm on my system usblp0 has -rw-rw--- perms and belongs to root:lp. CUPS runs as lp:lp so the problem seems to be that it cannot write any data to the printer. Edit
Code:

/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions

Find the line that says usblp*:whatever and change it to:
Code:

usblp*:root:lp:0660

Then (I hate to say that :) ) reboot and check if it works :)
Regards,
Rav
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permissions are already set like that, and cupsd is running as root (is that not right?) Anyway, the other reason I thought there might be something that might be screwed up with /dev/usblp0 is that if I run, as is suggested in the docs,
Code:
echo "Hello World" > /dev/usblp0

nothing happens, and if I then try
Code:
cat /dev/usblp0

I get "Hello World" printed at the bottom of the screen, until I print something again, at which point I get a bunch of garbage in the file again. It seems like usblp0 is just a text file, not a reference to a device... then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about... anyway, hopefully someone has some idea what I'm doing wrong...

Andrew
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your /dev/usblp0 is a regular file. You might as well delete it because it isn't doing you any good like that. :wink:

If it exists at all, /dev/usblp0 should be a symlink to /dev/usb/lp0. /dev/usb/lp0 should have permissions "crw-rw---- 1 root lp"

Do you have usb printer support in your kernel, either builtin or as a module?
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usb printer support is builtin, and dmesg shows
Code:
usbcore: registered new driver usblp
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver

in it, but I have no usb directory in /dev at all. Again, thinking maybe it's a udev problem...

Andrew
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, assuming you've followed all the proper guides to get udev working, it's possible you could be suffering from this bug.
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udevstart doesn't make either a usb directory or usblp0 appear (I deleted the file as suggested), so I don't think that's it. I did notice, however, that unplugging the thing and plugging it back in doesn't make dmesg print anything new (it should, shouldn't it?). Still don't really know.

Andrew
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should see something when plugging and unplugging, if the printer is on at least. My printer doesn't show up until I turn it on and it goes away again when I turn it off. So if the printer is off I don't see anything when I plug and unplug it either.
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried booting with Gnoppix, and found that the thing wasn't autodetected, but that as soon as I loaded usblp, the thing responded. I rebuilt my kernel with usblp as a module, and with devfs enabled, just to play around. Not sure if this helped or not... but it doesn't work with devfs, either. I do the modprobe, and dmesg shows that it sees a printer (although the message in dmesg is different than it was with Gnoppix), but no device shows up in /dev. At least with devfs, there's a usb directory, but there's never anything in it. Still not sure...

Andrew
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, fixed it. I have a VIA chipset on my mb, and the trick was to switch from OHCI to UHCI in kernel. Not sure why, exactly, but apparently you're supposed to UHCI with VIA chipsets. So nice of them to tell me in the docs... in any case, it's fixed. Thanks, everybody, for your help.

Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: