Kernel Config Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Kernel Config Problems Reply with quote

Hey
Im trying to install gentoo for the first time as stage 3 then move up if I can get it easy enough... I got to the kernel config part like a breeze but after reading the section over in the installation guide Im having a little trouble figuring out EXACTLY what I need to do. I got into the GUI kernel config and I thought that I added the peramiters that I was supposed to and customized it for my machine but everytime it goes to boot it says that there is a problem with the kernel and that it cant load. I know that its not grub, Ive got all that worked out find and Ive switched to lilo once just to make sure I had the configuration right on the boot loader.

My question is; Is there a way to just take a generic kernel and just use that instead of installing custom modules and making it exactly for your machine?

I attempted to do it the way in the directions but failed to no avail

Thanks for your time

Mike
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean that it "says there is a problem with the kernel and that it can't load"? No one will be able to fix this problem if you don't get specific about what it says. What is the exact message?

And if you want a generic kernel, genkernel is probably what you're looking for.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7
And go down to "7.d. Alternative: Using genkernel"

Also, if you use genkernel you will have to change the config file for your bootloader. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
And use the genkernel examples as a guide.

edit:
And if you have been recompiling your kernel a bunch of times and still getting the same error messages repeatedly, perhaps you forgot to mount your /boot partition before copying over the new kernel. If you forget to do that then the actual /boot partition goes unchanged and you're booting off the old, messed-up kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: