Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greening wrote:
rac wrote:
Do we know what filesystem type we're dealing with yet? I'm assuming it's not ext[23], since the chattr suggestion went over like a bag of rocks. Is grsecurity enabled in the kernel?

Sorry, I forogot to mention. I am using ReiserFS.

Thanks,
Glenn

Hmm... Ok...
If you haven't (but I'm sure you have) emerge reiserfsprogs.

Then run a thorough check of that partition as it may be corrupt.

Erik
Lactic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: src of init errs Reply with quote

the source of your init errors is gresecurity; you will have to reconfigure your kernel without it and recompile (I had to do the exact thing last night, and I am having the exact same errors you are after an emerge died, and I'm also using ReiserFS. Will be watching this post closely :/
greening
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: src of init errs Reply with quote

Lactic wrote:
the source of your init errors is gresecurity; you will have to reconfigure your kernel without it and recompile (I had to do the exact thing last night, and I am having the exact same errors you are after an emerge died, and I'm also using ReiserFS. Will be watching this post closely :/

So, where do I find gresecurity to disable it?

Thanks,
Glenn
Lactic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot from your gentoo installation disc, mount your hard drive and boot partition, chroot, go to /usr/src/linux, run make menuconfig, gresecurity is one of the last entries; set it to none, or alternatively, go through each sub-option under 'custom' and try to get it working. (I had used medium when I got those errors.) Once you change the configuration, follow your gentoo installation guide to finish compiling the kernel. (make dep && make clean ....; cp /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old; cp /usr/src/..../bzImage /boot/bzImage) and you should be okay after that.
greening
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I unemerged my vanilla-sources and emerged gentoo-sources. Then, I found grsecurity but, I didn't include it or anything. I configured my kernel, etc, but when I rebooted, it still gave me all that INIT stuff...

I think this is becoming too much trouble. I didn't have that much installed already. How can I just completely delete those partitions (w/o the information coming back) and reinstall gentoo?

Thanks,
Glenn
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greening wrote:
Okay, I unemerged my vanilla-sources and emerged gentoo-sources. Then, I found grsecurity but, I didn't include it or anything. I configured my kernel, etc, but when I rebooted, it still gave me all that INIT stuff...

I think this is becoming too much trouble. I didn't have that much installed already. How can I just completely delete those partitions (w/o the information coming back) and reinstall gentoo?

Thanks,
Glenn

mke2fs -j /dev/hdax (where x is your lucky number, but only if you want to use ext3)
mkreiserfs .... to do the reiser thing :)

Erik
greening
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just wanted to thank ya'll for your help. I have gentoo back running and finally got Mozilla installed. I just wanted to thank you all for your help.

Glenn Murphy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: