View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slynix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Should I run Gentoo as desktop again? Reply with quote

Once I ran Gentoo on all my machines but now only on servers. It was because the lack of support for my hardware etc. SATA hds on raid, DVD-Writer, Large files over 4GB on hds and of course tons and tons of other small things but those were the main problems.
Im very intrested in running Gentoo once more as my desktop, is the time right for me? :) Is there good support for what I need?
PaV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think new kernels 2.6+ solve most of those problems. i have no problems with my dvd burner, my friend's sata works like a charm... as for the others, i do not know :)
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't speak to DVD burners and the like - no experience there - but it's been great for me. wrote up my experience here:

http://www.redmonk.com/sogrady/archives/000094.html

a lot of it will be old hat to a linux user such as yourself, but might be something in there worth looking at.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not gentoo then what other distro did provide you with the things you mentioned? (Don't tell me you turned your whole house in a single window :wink: got the hint )

The problem with bleeding edge hardware that's not supported under linux will remain if the hardware vendors don't start to provide the customer with the support for their desired OS. So if you have to have the newest all the time you'll need to know how to reengineer and write your own drivers or you'll just have to wait until someone does it for you.
madrebel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in gerneal i find linux's support for some 'hardware pata/sata' *edit* controllers to be very poor. specifically in the area of booting of a raid array. now, if you have a 3ware controller, supposedly its a different story. i dont know first hand. as for non boot partitions, i dont think youll have much of a problem.

as for filesize i think that may depend on the filesystem you use.
here is some specs for reiser4

XFS specs

do your own gogle search for any other file system you may use to find its technical limitations.

i dont know about DVD writers as i dont personally have one. im sure they are supported though. the following link may be applicable to you.

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

search these forums for DVD writing support too.
Slynix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power of gentoo forum :) Thx seems like i have a chance :) Im not always into this cutting edge stuff but it happens. Thou DVD writing and sata isnt new . Ill miss nero for dvd writing ;)
Seems like I will install: x.org, xfce, 2.6 kernel, reiserfs4 etc Ill have to search around a bit more to see more closely how my hardware will work out
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just burned my fingers when I tried reiserfs4 on christmas last year! (but I think a lot have changed since then)
It's sure a superb fs but I think we are still a far way from taking real advantage of reiserfs4 and his modular structure. As for speed I don't think @ moment you can gain anything from using reiserfs4 except geekiness.
As for 2.6 (that's for sure who is using the old 2.4 one anyway :wink: ) and xorg works fine. I don't know XFCE and I heard only good things about k3b burn app but I don't use KDE so ask somebody else for expierences with dvd burning under k3b. (Like CLI => cdrecord in shell is unbeatable :wink: )
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3B is probably the most intuitive burning app for Linux. It's a lot simpler to figure out than XCdRoast. However, it does require QT and some kdelibs. Since you're running xfce, I assume that you don't want all the extra bloat. XCdRoast is good, but not nearly as good as K3B.
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
Slynix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info :)~~ thx

So if not reiserFS4 which then supports large files? normal stable reiser in portage?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: