ALSA/KDE hell...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: ALSA/KDE hell... Reply with quote

All,

I have gotten sound working (under KDE) following the alsa tutorial and using the forums a dozen or so times, but I am totally at a loss. Nothing seems to be working. Here is what I have:

* ALSA built in.
* I have checked the volumes and unmuted in KMix.

Code:
hayden root # uname -s -m -p -o -v -r
Linux 2.6.7 #2 SMP Thu Aug 26 21:19:39 PDT 2004 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GNU/Linux

Code:
hayden root # lspci | grep -i audio
00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)

Code:
hayden root # dmesg | grep -i -A 1 alsa
ALSA device list:
  #0: Sound Blaster Live! (rev.8) at 0xdc00, irq 12

Code:
hayden root # amixer sget Master
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 63
  Front Left: Playback 54 [86%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 54 [86%] [on]
hayden root # amixer sget PCM
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 26 [84%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 26 [84%] [on]

The really odd part is, it *WAS* working fine, and then suddenly stopped. It may have had something to do with my upgrade to 2.6.7 (It was around the same time, but I'm if it was exactly the same time or not), but I have tried going back to 2.6.6 and that didn't help. Oh, also, I rebuilt 2.6.7 tonight while trying to get it working, which is why the kernel has today's date on it.

--Josh
zsoltika
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO you should check this too:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/version
cat /usr/src/linux/include/sound/version.h

If there are two different alsa version, you should check out this thread @ the gentoo-user list...
Hope this helps,
Zsoltik@
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is...

Code:
hayden root # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17 14:31:44 2004 UTC).
Compiled on Aug 12 2004 for kernel 2.6.7 (SMP).

Code:
hayden root # cat /usr/src/linux/include/sound/version.h
/* include/version.h.  Generated by configure.  */
#define CONFIG_SND_VERSION "1.0.4"
#define CONFIG_SND_DATE " (Mon May 17 14:31:44 2004 UTC)"

They are the same.

--J
zshay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: similar issue Reply with quote

I had a perfectly running alsa setup with a 2.6.8 kernel and my emu10k1. I upgraded to the 2.6.8-r3 and sound quit working; however, I do not think it was the kernel upgrade. It appears that maybe my LiveDrive! broke. I did run kde for the first time and after that the sound no longer worked. I am thinking that somehow my LiveDrive! has been muted. I checked alsamixer and nothing is different in there. When I run multimedia applications (xmms, mplayer, mpg123, etc.), everything functions properly with the exception of sound output. I assume it is functioning properly because a `cat /dev/dsp` produces prolific amounts of garbage when sound events occur.

Thanks in Advance,

Zach
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....

Code:
cat /dev/dsp

... produces nothing for me. I wonder if my sound card died or something?

--J
zshay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....it shouldn't produce anything unless your soundcard is being used...for instance cat it, and then play a sound (routing thru dsp)
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, still nothing. Thanks though.
saluk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be having the same problem that I was having...

I can't, for the life of me, get Alsa to work when it is compiled into the kernel. I was using gentoo-dev-r1, and I managed to get alsa to work when I took ALL sound options out of the kernel and emerged alsa-driver. When I upgraded to r3, I decided to try making all the alsa stuff modules instead of compiled in, one alsaconf run and it found my sound card and I had sound. So try recompiling the kernel using modules for alsa, and if that doesn't work try removing it altogether and emerging alsa-driver.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I has alsa working on my new kde 3.3 reiser4 2.6 something kernel. Life was glorious. I emerged rosegarden and played midi files. I emerged festival and my computer talked to me.

Today. KDE can not make a sound, even though in the control panel/sound system/Test Sound works.

Also XMMS thinks it's playing songs, and plays them very fast. (But no sound comes out). In the past if XMMS couldn't make a sound it would complain.

Lastly, it looks like jack is no longer working. (I'm fuzzy on how to use it anyways so maybe it is the culprit).

Watching this thread hoping for an answer.
asciiwhite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too have big issues with ALSA and a UDEV 2.6.8-rc3 system...

# lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia audio [Via VT82C686B] (rev a2)
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

# uname -s -m -p -o -v -r
Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 #1 Tue Aug 31 12:43:05 EST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ GNU/Linux

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17 14:31:44 2004 UTC).
Compiled on Aug 31 2004 for kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r3.

# cat /etc/modules.d/alsa

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

## ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
## OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

# cat /home/asciiwhite/.asoundrc
pcm.dmix0 {
type dmix
ipc_key 673138

slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"

rate 48000

period_time 0
#buffer_time 320000

period_size 4096
buffer_size 4096
}

bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

# 'dsp0' is espected by OSS emulation etc.
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix0"
}

ctl.dsp0 {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix0"
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

Right now i can get everyhting to work with alsa-oss wrapper but that limits me to one channel.

I can't for the life of me get alsa to work fully.
Xmms looks like its playing but no sound...
Mplaye works fine with alsa
KDE sound system just doesnt want to work.

Most of my games wont work without using alsa-oss wrapper...

Am i doomed to single channel sound utill i fork out 20 bucks for a soundblaster!!!???
:)

Dylan D.
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saluk wrote:
You may be having the same problem that I was having...

I can't, for the life of me, get Alsa to work when it is compiled into the kernel. I was using gentoo-dev-r1, and I managed to get alsa to work when I took ALL sound options out of the kernel and emerged alsa-driver. When I upgraded to r3, I decided to try making all the alsa stuff modules instead of compiled in, one alsaconf run and it found my sound card and I had sound. So try recompiling the kernel using modules for alsa, and if that doesn't work try removing it altogether and emerging alsa-driver.

Tried that, with no luck. :/
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem is kde/alsa http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79924 might be able to help.

Also it seems that the path isn't set up correctly for the sound's locations. If I put the complete path to the sound it plays it, (on mine, after the above fix), but if I use the defaults it doesn't.
nimatar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, same sound card with build-in drivers, i followed the Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide without oss compatibility, and everything seemed to work fine, only at the first reboot no sound is given, i also tryed to unmerge arts thinking maybe that created the problem, but nada :cry: . Also i think it isn't the problem form the kde bugzilla because it occours also whitout starting kde.
I will tray building the sound cart support as a module; hope it will help.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the link I posted. They give two methods, the first one is to go into .kde and delete knotify configurations and *.event stuff (read the link for the exact names). The second is to do something with some programs. I didn't see the second one until after I did the first. Anyways, on restarting kde things started working again. :)
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put in a SB Live! last night and it was working ok and teamspeak worked when I first tried it then I was checking out all the mixer settings with Kmix and a click on something caused TS to stop working with the mic. I tried a lot of different things but the mic seemed to be dead to TS till cleared out /tmp/ of anything not new then I logged off of kde and as a normal user I just "rm -rf /tmp/*" and started KDE up and I had my mic back. Seems there was a tmp socket in there I guess that was causing some troubles. Some of this happened when I tried to get TS to run without artsdsp but I guess it was reusing the old socket? I'm new to hardware mixing with sound so I don't know what it can and can't do and have arts running still but it does seem that I don't need it for some of the apps that I used "artsdsp" to launch. It's the emu10k1 drivers I'm using which btw have a LOT of mixer settings especially when you look in alsamixer. :?
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a cs46xx card, with compiled in alsa to a 2.6.8 gentoo-dev kernel making use of udev. Sound was working beautifully, hardware mixing an all until I rebooted. Sound is gone.

Arts does not exist on my system -- The KDE sound system is not enabled at start up.

I've deleted the files suggested by the kde bug thread above (knotifyrc, *.eventsrc. I've deleted /tmp. I've even deleted all of ~/.kde* to make sure it all died.

Sound hasn't returned. I'm using mplayer and bmp to test. Both worked correctly before the reboot and neither has had their configurations changed.

At this point I'd nuke knotify if I knew how without removing all of the control center.
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the solution to at least some of your problems, I've posted this before, and I guess I'll post it again.

KDE >=3.2.3 includes alsa support as part of the Arts server, as such, and being the tremendous gits they are they modify your volume settings the first time you start kde. In particular they turn the mixer switch for the digital output to on. On my computer, and based on posts here, a lot of others, this causes volume to either disappear or turn staticy if you're not actually using the digital output switch. Start up kde, open up kmixer or alsamixer if you like, in kmixer you have to go to file and advanced or something like that to show the switches, can't recall exactly and I got rid of kde so I can't look it up, but you'll find it. Then turn off the digital output switch or mute it in alsamixer and try again, you should be working fine again.

If this doesn't help you, then you've got a different bug, but if it does, it's a lot faster than waiting for kde to fix it for you.
nimatar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gread Eskarel, thank you very much! That worked 4 me!

In kmix i checked avanced and muted "audigy analog/digital output jack"

:D :D :D :lol: :D :D :D

Eskarel you're my hero :D
zshay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: my solution Reply with quote

Well, as I suspected alsa was functioning perfectly. Somehow my sound config (asound.???) got bunked. I shutdown the alsa service, deleted this file (in /etc) and then rebooted. If you have it compiled as modules you can just unload and then reload the module. When I reset my values in the mixer, all was right in the world (or at least with a scope limited to my computer). I figured it was this file because I noticed that I had to *MUTE* channels in order to hear them. If any of you all are still having trouble I would suggest to try this. As this is very weird, I suspect this probably isn't a common problem.

Best of luck,

ZShay
Relyimah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I thought I'd post this as it seems to bee a similar thing.

I had alsa working perfectly before I formatted my box, and did nothing differently in terms of kernel and alsa setup when i reinstalled, and bam, no sound. In the end I had to resort to oss. Someone mentioned an issue with udev, and I think that may be my problem (running wit udev now instead of dev) Any Ideas?

Code:
phoenix ~ # uname -s -m -p -o -v -r
Linux 2.6.9-rc1 #1 Thu Aug 26 23:58:34 EST 2004 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz GNU/Linux

Code:
phoenix ~ # lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)

Everything to do with alsa in the kernel was the same as before (i used the same config file) and I emerged alsa-utils and alsa-oss. No sound anywhere :(
zshay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relyimah wrote:
I emerged alsa-utils and alsa-oss. No sound anywhere :(

I assume you also emerged alsa-libs, checked the 'status' of alsa service, and check the mixer levels (alsamixer).

ZShay
Relyimah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, alsa-libs is a dependency of alsa-utils.

The main problem i was having with alsa is that I could not set the PCM volume, i could mute or unmuie it, but could not set the volume... everything else worked as per normal. it seems that my sound wanted that volume to run everything as sounds seemed to play fine, just no volume
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: