use of SSH daemon during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: use of SSH daemon during install Reply with quote

I started up the livecd ssh daemon on my gentoo-install box:
Code:
livecd root # /etc/init.d/sshd start

Sorry I can't tell you what the output was; I did it a while ago & it has scrolled off the screen.

Now, I can login from my laptop with
Code:
ssh -l root <gentoo-box IP>

and (after I am prompted for and supply the password) the gentoo-box displays:
Quote:
sshd(pam_unix)[22883]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)

but that's as far as it goes. I don't get a shell prompt on the laptop. Instead, on BOTH machines there's just a blinking cursor by itself at the beginning of the next line. No shell prompt.

On the gentoo-box, if I press <enter> it returns to a normal shell prompt. On the laptop, all I can do is close the window.

However, from the laptop I can execute a single command on the gentoo-box, for example:
Code:
ssh -l root <gentoo-box IP> cat sometextfile

again the gentoo-box displays
Quote:
sshd(pam_unix)[22896]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)

and the laptop displays the contents of "sometextfile" from the gentoo-box, and then returns to its own shell prompt (no longer connected to the gentoo-box).

Is this just a bug in the livecd ssh daemon? Has anybody had it working correctly recently?

PS: I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong on the laptop end, as I can use it to ssh into other machines and get a fully-working shell session. The only problem is with this gentoo-box that's still running from the livecd.
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just do the initial boot and setup on the livecd locally, then I install from my laptop in a more comfortable chair or on my couch. :)

Did you set a password for root on the livecd? Since the password isn't known before setting it, it should be impossible to log in. Run passwd and enter a password (temporary for the duration of the installation) before you start the ssh daemon. Then use ssh root@ip to connect connect to the system.

Håkan
joelk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course I set up a password. I'm new at this, but not THAT new! :)

ssh from the laptop works, but ONLY if it is followed by a single command (on the same command line), and ONLY that single command is executed. Then I'm immediately back in the laptop shell.
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this for a full install back on 2004.1 I think it was. So it *can* work. The only thing I can think of to examine off hand is whether you have a mismatch in SSH versions on either end that may be affecting it. None of the SSH options should cause that kind of behavior, but you might want to do a quick look at config files on the livecd to see nothing weird is turned on there.

-Twist
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just done a full ssh install for st0n3r (4500 miles away woohoo!!!) and that went fine, he was using a 2004.2 cd and the most recent cd i have installed with was 2004.0 so apart from a few things that were different it was fine. You can definately do it because i even remotely set up xorg and made sure he had E running

Also, you dont need to do
Code:
ssh root@ip
just
Code:
ssh <ip addy>
because if you have run passwd in the live cd it will be as root anyway and the password that you enter will take you to root
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that might be true, it may also be considered exercising a bad habit since ssh will, if you don't specify a remote user to log in as, use your current local user as the name to log in as. Using a fallback routine just because it works will only make you get a bad habit. :)

All in my opinion, of course.

Håk
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hw-tph wrote:
While that might be true, it may also be considered exercising a bad habit since ssh will, if you don't specify a remote user to log in as, use your current local user as the name to log in as. Using a fallback routine just because it works will only make you get a bad habit. :)

All in my opinion, of course.

I agree, to a certain extent, i can see the "bad habit" principle but seeing as you only get to use root from the live cd... Also you have to have root priviliges to start ssh anyway...?

Bus as you pointed out, it is bad habit or practice :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: