Linux desktop switch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smarm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Linux desktop switch Reply with quote

Are there any compelling reasons to switch to Linux from Windows, for the average user?

Compelling reasons, are a set of reasons that when presented to the average user makes Linux highly desirable.

There are many good reasons. Such as, no more Microsoft virii, higher security, more stability, free software, more options, interoperability with Windows and some implementations just look plain better than Windows. But are any of those reasons compelling enough to make the average user take the plunge and switch? I don’t think so.

Linux is really nice. I like it a lot, I like control over my system. I like to know what’s going on. But at the moment, as far as important features to the average Windows user are concerned, Linux isn’t really that great. Linux is just about as usable as Windows. It may have some advantages and disadvantages, but there is no “killer app” that makes switching to Linux tempting.

Thus far it seems that the companies that implement consumer versions of Linux have been playing catch up to Windows. They have deployed a very nice set of office tools that are comparable, not superior, to Windows. Games are becoming more fully supported and Wine works great; But neither have a better implementation than Windows. There are browsers, email clients, presentation tools, finance managers, and even a robust set of graphics tools. But all of these tools are merely as good or even inferior to programs implemented on Windows. As far as I can tell there are few consumer level programs that function with such superior performance, usability, or unique functionality that would be compelling to consumers that are invested in Microsoft.

Tell me what you think.

Smarm
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has never been discussed before :roll:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other threads too.