Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Repurposing an HFS drive -- Need to keep any partitions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenroc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Repurposing an HFS drive -- Need to keep any partitions? Reply with quote

hi,

I have a Blue & White G3 that I'm trying to install Gentoo on. Not going too well, but that's a story for another thread (if I can't figure out the problems myself...).

Basically, I have 2 drives. /dev/hda has various partitions including 2 HFS (+?) partitions, one for MacOS 9 and one for OSX.

/dev/hdb has one HFS partition and a number of other partitions that Apple deemed necessary to put there. I'm trying to figure out which of the partitions, if any, I need to keep.

The drive is ~30GB, and it has an 8GB HFS partition that I plan on keeping. But there are lots of other partitions too. Here's what mac-fdisk says:

Code:

/dev/hdb
        #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
dump: name /dev/hdb len 8
/dev/hdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hdb2         Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 64       ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hdb3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                56 @ 120      ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hdb4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 176      ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hdb5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                56 @ 232      ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hdb6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh               512 @ 288      (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hdb7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh               512 @ 800      (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hdb8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition         512 @ 1312     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hdb9               Apple_HFS Socrates_1         16846144 @ 1824     (  8.0G)  HFS
[...]

I believe I've read that /dev/hdb1 is important (I'm not certain though, since most of the docs dealing with 'dual-booting' MacOS and Gentoo seem to describe using only 1 drive...). What I can't tell, though, is whether /dev/hdb2 through /dev/hdb8 need to be there.

Do the "Driver" and "Patches" partitions need to be there? When I go to make my partitions for Gentoo, should I just delete all of them and start fresh? Or should I just add on (/dev/hdb10 for swap, /dev/hdb11 for root, etc.)?
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

If you plan to access your disk (hdb) only from within Linux and Mac OS X, then the partitions hdb2 to hdb8 can be safely erased. They are need only for Mac OS 9.x and below. (In fact I am not even sure whether their existence is a requirement even for Mac OS 9.x and its brethen to access a disk, but they are certainly needed to boot it from the disk and they are certainly not needed at all for Linux and Mac OS X.)

The first partiton on the other hand is on PPC the partition map itself and should not be erased under any circumstance I can think of.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just need the partition map and a / and a swap maybe for linux.
nesnimda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, but last I played with mac-fdisk, it wasn't able to delete those partitions (however it did hint that future versions would be able to). An easy solution is to use apple's partition manager. If it won't let you use it while you're in OS X, then boot from the OS X cd and click on the file menu option to load disk utility. You'd also want to select the other option to boot from that hard drive so that yaboot gets a chance to do its magic ^_^
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, how long ago did you use mac-fdisk ?
Lenroc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruda wrote:
If you plan to access your disk (hdb) only from within Linux and Mac OS X, then the partitions hdb2 to hdb8 can be safely erased. They are need only for Mac OS 9.x and below.

Great, thanks for the response, much appreciated! :)

Now I have to decide if I ever plan to boot into OS9 again... well, I guess not a big deal, since the partitions in question only take up all of 624k ;)

bruda wrote:
The first partiton on the other hand is on PPC the partition map itself and should not be erased under any circumstance I can think of.

That makes sense. Is that what mac-fdisk is updating when I write out my changes?
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
Now I have to decide if I ever plan to boot into OS9 again... well, I guess not a big deal, since the partitions in question only take up all of 624k ;)

They did piss me off before deciding to get rid of them, simply because they eat up partition numbers so I was not able to set up my usual partition scheme (which involves /tmp, /var on different volumes, etc.). In terms of space they are utterly negligible.
Quote:
bruda wrote:

That makes sense. Is that what mac-fdisk is updating when I write out my changes?

Yes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: