Installing 1.2, Old Portage = Bootstrap Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuakerOatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Installing 1.2, Old Portage = Bootstrap Error Reply with quote

So I'm installing Gentoo using the older 1.2 install CD because it has the PCMCIA divers I need for my laptop NIC.

Now I'm at the scripts/bootstrap.sh step of the install and I'm getting the fairly common:
unscriptable object
error.

This seems to be related to the 1.9.9 Portage version which is included with the 1.2 install. How can I update portage at this stage? I've wget'd the latest stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2 from http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.2/
which is dated 08-May-2002 16:39. This also has the old 1.9.9 Portage!

How can I update the Portage on the old 1.2 install? I don't think I can use the stage1-1.4-x86.tbz2 while booting from the 1.2 install CD, I assume the modules would be incompatible.

Help!

Thanks in advance :(
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here is what I did to get my laptop working. I had a problem with the EEpro100 drivers locking up. Only way to fix it is to do a hybrid install.

1. Boot your 1.2 cd.
2. Load whatever you had to load
3. Do the fdisk and make your partitions
4. do the instructions up to the point where you would tar out the stage file.
5. wget http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/x86/stage1-x86-1.4_rc1-20020908-1208.tar.bz2
6. Now extract that image and go forward with the 1.4 instructions.

Works great on my Tecra 8200. No problems what so ever. With this you'll have your modules you need to load and the latest build.

TheClaus
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"emerge sync", then use the tarball in /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files.
QuakerOatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I wget'd the new 1.4 stage 1 and it worked.

Question: Why can't someone create a new 1.2 stage1 with a slightly newer portage version (that works)?

This seem to be a major problem for gentoo newbies, as the new installer doesn't have sufficient packages for pcmcia.

I'm switching over from Debian, which had it own problems; none of them included a non-functional version of apt-get being included on an install CD. In fact, the older mini deb cds <2.0 are my fav. Sorry for the lecture, but I feel a orphaned package installer is the closest thing to a showstopper for a new distro.

Thanks for the help.
SeaPig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac, how would you do that? I have a system that has portage 1.9.10. I have version 2.0.44 in /usr/protage/sys-apps/protage/files/ so how do I use that tarball to upgrade the running version?

I tride usepkg but I got the same message about an unscriptable object
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaPig wrote:
rac, how would you do that? I have a system that has portage 1.9.10. I have version 2.0.44 in /usr/protage/sys-apps/protage/files/ so how do I use that tarball to upgrade the running version?

Code:
# cd /
# tar xvjpf /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/files/portage-rescue-v.v.v-arch.tbz2
...replacing v.v.v with the version and arch with your architecture.
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

QuakerOatz wrote:
I wget'd the new 1.4 stage 1 and it worked.

Question: Why can't someone create a new 1.2 stage1 with a slightly newer portage version (that works)?

This seem to be a major problem for gentoo newbies, as the new installer doesn't have sufficient packages for pcmcia.

I'm switching over from Debian, which had it own problems; none of them included a non-functional version of apt-get being included on an install CD. In fact, the older mini deb cds <2.0 are my fav. Sorry for the lecture, but I feel a orphaned package installer is the closest thing to a showstopper for a new distro.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to see you go. Personally I think all of this is a challenge. The more it doesn't work the more I am likely to make it work. The wget thing was just a off the wall idea. 1.2 didn't have lynx so I had to think what would download the image besides lynx. wget worked and I am now running 1.4. After I got it running it is fine. So what it is just a minor detour in the process. I am sure the devs saw what I did and making changes to the other image to allow for the freedom of 1.2 but the ease of 1.4. If not then there is a fix in the forums. Hope you come back when another release comes out. Gentoo rocks and I would personally never go back to any other distribution.
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it just sucked b/c I'm trying to convice my boss to use gentoo instaed of red hat. So at work I start to load up the gentoo box to demonstrate but it fails at the bootstrap. Luckily the boss wasn't there and of course I found this thread so my box is loading. However the disk I used was downloaded from the ibiblio mirror and burned today! What cd is not the old version that will actualy work without me grabing a different tarball?
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in theory you should be using the 1.4rc cd. It is the most recent version. It is called the livecd. the only reason to do what I did was to stop gentoo from loading the network drivers for me and allow me to remove the driver and reload it with my parameters. If the 1.4 cd works for you then I would use it. Also you don't have to start at stage 1. You can start at stage 2 or 3. It all depends on how much you want a pure system that was all compiled with your hardware.
QuakerOatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to see you go.

I'm not going anywhere, but I do expect to keep my trusty debian netinst-iso until someone prys it from my cold, dead hands.

:lol:
mmartin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@QuakerOatz: I don't think so at the moment I'm switching my System from a dual boot to a triple boot (WinXP/SuSE80/hopefully gentoo) and by now every problem I asked could be solved within at longest 2 days. So I think even someone switchin from Windows who is willing to read will give Gentoo a chance if he understand that Linux is hungry for documentation reading people

That's what my expirience is so far, right now I'm emerge sync with gentoo 1.4 because I had the same problem with Version 1.9.10 from gentoo 1.2 hope that works.

Man honest. Will do everything.
Tired of cleaning yourself? - Let me do it.
Eat a frog in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you that day
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: