Anyone get mondo-rescue to work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Anyone get mondo-rescue to work? Reply with quote

I just emerged the mondo-rescue-2.03. One of the first things you are supposed to do is create a test CD. So I did:
Code:
# mindi

That gave me a fatal error complaining it couldn't find mkfs-vfat. And when looking in /sbin sure enough there is no mkfs.vfat. Where is it? Does any one know where I can get that from?
Minox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
emergel dosfstools. There are in it.
You can also use http://packages.gentoo.org to search for packages.
Kind regards,
groovin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also make sure you have the right stuff in your kernel like vfat, loopfs, and a few other things i cant remember right now =)
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird because I thought I emerged dosfstools last night. I just checked to make sure and what da ya know it never got emerged. So thanks for pointing that out. I had everything compiled in already.

I thought you could use grub on the mindi test disk. It is asking if I would like to use LILO (instead of syslinux). I chose "no" here and I got:
Code:
Tarring and zipping the groups................ Done.
Creating data disk #1...#2...#3...#4...
Fatal error. PBDI - cannot find 36864 kernel

It did work though when I didn't use my own kernel. Has anyone got this working with there own kernel?

If I can't use my own kernel I might as well use the Live-CD instead of the mindi disks?
Minox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use FAILSAFE option with mondo? It's necessary for debian and gentoo systems.
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAILSAFE option? I haven't even gotten that far yet. I am just trying to get the test cd portion of thist to work. Were you able to get a test cd made without error?

Once I realized that mindi was just a script I just modified the script until I got it to get past some of the errors. Here is what I had to modify:
Code:
possible_kernels: /boot/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3-no-smp

That defined the path to my kernel. Then...
Code:
EXTRA_SPACE=4194304

That defines the ramdisk size I assume. Now instead of giving me an error it just hangs:
Code:
Creating data disk #1...#2...#3...#4...   Done.
Making 1722KB boot disk .....................

It looks like there is just one more "dot" left to go before it completes whatever its doing. I have no idea what to do next. Wait... It just failed.
Code:
Failed to copy /tmp/minilinux/20818/mindi.rdz to /tmp/mindilinux/20818/mountpoint.20818
cat: /tmp/minilinux20818/mtpt.20818: No such file or directory
Please unload some of your modules and try again.

Now what?
Minox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tested mindi alone. But i were successfull by using mondoarchive (part of mondo-rescue). With it i have created a hopefully working bootable image of my gentoo server.
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did it take you to do the backup and how much data did you backup? Also could you post the options you used?

I'll be honest with you I have just gone through hell trying to recover a Digital Unix server disk at work and another employee made it worse by wiping out the root partition of the disk (lost the /etc). Our backup tapes were not complete and did not have all the files needed for full recovery. I had to reconfigure the whole thing from scratch and not knowing the system that well it took me over a week to get it back up and running. So the lesson learned is this:

A backup is not a backup until you successfully restored from it at least once.

So I am now looking for a way to create several images of various machines including some older NT 4.0 servers onto a single 40 gig Firelite USB drive. Then restore the images to some test drives to see if infact the images are good. I really don't need incremental backups since the systems I am working on never change. It's all flight simulation software that never gets upgraded or anything. Do you think mondo will be able work in this way? I will probably try the other options like partimage and g4u. I am currently testing the SystemRescue cd and so far I cannot even boot from that cd.

As far as my gentoo system I would like to have the reiser4 support on the boot cd. Soon I'll be switching over to the reiser4 filesystem.
piffle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you use FAILSAFE option with mondo? It's necessary for debian and gentoo systems.

Is it absolutely necessary? If you have 2.6.x+NPTL glibc, booting with a failsafe kernel gets you the dreaded "FATAL: kernel too old" message, and practically nothing outside builtin shell commands work. I plan on trying with a stripped down, monilithic kernel of my own as soon as I get some more CD-Rs. If that really doesn't work, then I guess mindi is a non-starter until they address this issue.
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a different sort of problem that seems to have more to do with mindi than mondo. First I tried it with the default ebuild and it got a Fatal error while making the boot disk. Checking the log it appears that it couldn't find a certain file, and checking for that file I found it except that it wasn't zipped. I thought zipping it manually would help, but the next time it looked for a different file so I guess that's not the answer. By using ~86 and upgrading I can get past that part, but I still get the same error. I was sorting out problems with my CD burner awhile ago so I'm not even sure if it makes proper backups, but I'm running it again right now so I'll let you know.
piffle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update. I got mondoarchive to work with a stripped down, monolithic (gentoo) kernel. By this I mean, could I boot onto the rescue CD and the rescue menu came up. I put it in compare mode and it reprted all the differences between the backed up files and my live filesystem (mostly /var/log/ and some /etc stuff since the backup was quite recent)
Stieltje
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this monolithic kernel sounds good, the failsafe kernel used is quite worthless, it does not find any network interfaces, so a restore via nfs is just false marketing as it is now..

tell me how you did it please ?
tomaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the trick to install syslinux with gcc 3.4? The suggestion in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53826 don't seem to work for me.

I always get:
Code:

' -DDATE='""' -traditional -E -o init.s16 init.S16
gcc -m32 -x assembler -c -o init.o16 init.s16
nasm -O99 -f elf -l init32.lst -o init32.o init32.asm
ld -m elf_i386 -Ttext 0 -o memdisk16.elf init.o16 init32.o
make[1]: *** [memdisk16.elf] Segmentation fault
make[1]: *** Deleting file `memdisk16.elf'
rm init.s16
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/syslinux-2.09/work/syslinux-2.09/memdisk'

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: