View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Is this the rght way to switch to Xorg? Reply with quote

I'm brand new to Gentoo, installed from the 2004.2 Live CD onto my eMachines AMD64 laptop, which has an ATI 9600 Mobility chip. Once I got up and running the first thing I did was "emerge gnome". When I tried to startx, I got some failures parsing my XF86Config-4 file, which I had copied from my Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 partition on the same laptop. Having read quite a bit about the XFree 4.4 release and the Xorg fork, and knowing that this release is required to support the ATI 9600, I decided to switch to Xorg.

I've read some messages on the Gentoo mailing lists advising to unmerge XFree before installing Xorg. But I saw in /usr/X11R6/bin both an Xorg and XFree86 executable, so I thought I'd try just switching the /usr/X11/X symlink from XFree86 to Xorg. It appears to have worked! /var/log/Xorg.0.log is now getting messages. Is this an acceptable way to switch from XFree86 to Xorg? I was surprised to see that "emerge gnome" had caused *both* XFree86 and Xorg to be installed. Apparently they can co-exist?
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't really co-exist - they put a lot of files in the same place, so many of the Xfree86 files will have been overwritten by Xorg. You should probably emerge -C xfree just to remove the last few files that weren't overwritten - like the XFree86 binary you discovered.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros, thanks for the reply. How can I tell if XFree86 or Xorg was installed second? I'm trying to gauge if I have a valid installation. Any idea on why "emerge gnome" caused both XFree and Xorg to be installed? That doesn't seem like an appropriate thing to do.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfree and xorg should block each other from both being installed. Nevertheless, you can use qpkg and equery to check the integrity of a package. Both are part of gentoolkit. Alternatively, use genlop to see when a package was installed and uninstalled.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
They can't really co-exist - they put a lot of files in the same place, so many of the Xfree86 files will have been overwritten by Xorg. You should probably emerge -C xfree just to remove the last few files that weren't overwritten - like the XFree86 binary you discovered.

Well, I guess xfree must have gotten installed after Xorg, because when I issued the command you indicate above, startx was gone. When I then tried running Xorg directly, it said it was unable to find shared lib libXau.so.6. So I emerged xorg-x11 and I'm back up and running again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: